• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

What Platform Front Suspension For 400-500?

Spiky

going to sell my front bilsteins.

What else is around?

Dont need rears as i will keep my bilsteins

Dj_mini

How come your selling them? What about gaz golds?

Spiky

with my ride height they havent got much travel, the car isnt that low

Spiky
13082008254.jpg

Spiky

it probably a touch lower than that, but not much and i can get my fingers between the tyre and arch

oli-pug

Gaz golds, KW, AST?

I wish Nitron would do a kit for the 205!!

Spiky

what are AST like??

infact oil-pug, what are all three of those like??

Edited by Spiky

Dj_mini

Is it the length of the damper body limiting you then as im asuming its hitting the bump stops? I could measure my gaz if thas any use to you so you can see if there shorter?

tom_m

try putting your eccentrics on top of the strut tops, i've gained nearly 20mm of travel by doing this.

Image_305.jpg

oli-pug

The AST's are three-ways for the 205 and retail at £1999! :(

I know quite a few on here are now using the gaz golds which were cheap as chips in the group buy a while ago. They're supposed to have a decent damper travel even at low ride heights and they're nicely adjustable.

Not too sure on the build quality of them but i really don't like the cheaper coilovers they do which seem to fall apart very easily.

The KW variant 2's are nice units, retail at £800 or so but you can only get them as a full kit with rear dampers.

Spiky
Is it the length of the damper body limiting you then as im asuming its hitting the bump stops? I could measure my gaz if thas any use to you so you can see if there shorter?

if you could measure them, that would be a great help dude :) cheers

yeah, the insert is going all the way and stopping at the bumo stops

i have a track day coming up, so going to copy tom and fit the top mounts ONTOP and see if that helps, and set the suspension to the height as the pic above,

on my trip to the RING i only had 13mm of travel left :(

so with a slight increase on height and the top mounts above i will have around 30mm of travel, not sure if thats enough or not

Spiky
try putting your eccentrics on top of the strut tops, i've gained nearly 20mm of travel by doing this.

Image_305.jpg

i think thats what i'm going to do.

have you got an extra plate on there ???

would i need more then 3 bolts???

Spiky
The AST's are three-ways for the 205 and retail at £1999! :(

I know quite a few on here are now using the gaz golds which were cheap as chips in the group buy a while ago. They're supposed to have a decent damper travel even at low ride heights and they're nicely adjustable.

Not too sure on the build quality of them but i really don't like the cheaper coilovers they do which seem to fall apart very easily.

The KW variant 2's are nice units, retail at £800 or so but you can only get them as a full kit with rear dampers.

yeah they not cheap at all....lol

gaz gold seems to be the next option, IF i cant get these bilsteins to suit my needs

tom_m
i think thats what i'm going to do.

have you got an extra plate on there ???

would i need more then 3 bolts???

yes the strut top has been reinforced (done at the same time the cage was put in) and i was planning to drill some extra bolt holes before using it in anger too. i'm going to use slightly longer bolts than in this pic too, because i have a strut brace i still want to use so i'll nyloc it on for an added layer of security (if only to stop the allen head winding themsleves out!)

gaz gold seems to be the next option, IF i cant get these bilsteins to suit my needs

Gaz GGA would be the only kit i'd consider after the billies, while they aren't inverted they are meant to be gas charged still (but don't seem to return to fully open like billies do) the damper body is MUCH shorter that the billes, but because of this so is the damper stroke. with the GGA fully extended the wheel drops a further inch or so from the wheel arch compared to your pic above. definitely the way to go if you want a low car with useable damper. the strut body is also a lot fatter to hold a greater capacity than a conventional width shock of that length to keep the oil cool etc.

also i'm sure its just an optical illusion from the pic, but your bilstein bodies look a lot longer than mine, and i thought mine were long!!!

DSC00053.jpg

oh and also, low isn't everything! :(

Spiky

can you measure your bodies for me?

where did you get yours?

what spec inserts do you have? and a part number is possible???

Spiky

you maybe right on length, what you think???

shocks.jpg

Spiky

slighly different pic

shocks2.jpg

Spiky

oh and how much room have you got left under the bottom? from the top nut?

welshpug

why do you want it so low? :(

surely when running that low you are close to running the wishbones inverted?

Spiky
why do you want it so low? :(

surely when running that low you are close to running the wishbones inverted?

but it dont look that low to me ...

with the gap like that, it looks to sit right on the road

the wishbones are level at this height

has anyone got a picture of an IDEAL height from track car???

Miles

KW's do get good review's but yet to try them personally,

On the ride height front, you should see my 306, I can just get my foot under the front bumper on that, The wishbones are at the right angle too!!

Bally

This setup use to work fine on my friends track car and has now been transferred to mine.

n1172200206_30161472_1762.jpg

n1172200206_30161473_2121.jpg

tom_m
can you measure your bodies for me?

where did you get yours?

what spec inserts do you have? and a part number is possible???

Yup can do, I'll try and remember when I'm at the workshop tonight.

Mine came from Shenpar, A top bunch of blokes and the cheapest supplier I could find and perfectly happy to just supply the bodies, inserts and spring pans, becasue I already had the top mounts and springs from my previous coilovers.

Tarmac spec inserts, again PN I'll try and remember tonight.

oh and how much room have you got left under the bottom? from the top nut?

Not sure what you mean here tho, sorry :) Do you mean between the shell and the top spring pan? loads.

This setup use to work fine on my friends track car and has now been transferred to mine

that looks beefy :( i've got a set of wishbones like that coming and I was wondering on making an extended pin to normalise the wishbone angle like your second pic, had any problems with it?

Batfink

running the eccentric mounts on top is fine even on a car without the strengthening as my brother ran like that on his track car.

VisaGTi16v

I was over at Lydden on Saturday and spoke to the Brent brothers who have been racing their 205's for ages. The red one runs Ledas on the front, black one runs Gaz Gold, both with 400lb springs and both are very quick despite (especially the black one) not having mega power, both 8v's atm

More pics on link above, this is a nice one of the pair

inter_DSCF3712.jpg

inter_DSCF3714.jpg

Sign in to follow this