• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joni

Heater Blower Stopped Working Completely

joni

My heater blower was on full last night and had been for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden it stopped and would not work at any speed.

Done a search and have an idea that its either my blower motor that has failed or the resistor. Which sounds most likely given my situation above? I have a rally tomorrow so need the blower to be working to clear the screen! I need to know what parts i should buy today in order to fit them tonight.

i've read alot about resistors causing the blower speed to reduce or become intermitent but not about them instantly stopping.

Is there an idiot's guide to how to check the voltages, where to connect a 12v supply to check what is working?

Any help (ASAP!) much appreciated!

kyepan

check the wiring connectors and terminals going into the fan, check the fan is not blocked by dropping it out (three screws) then turn your attentions to the resitor... cleaned mine up, which helped temporarily...

check your getting voltage at the fan connector with a multi meter if not it's probably the resistor.

yeti-dj

Hello, i had this and it was the resistor unit that sits next to the fan under the dash. One day fine next day dead, easy check is to try another one that you know is good, just check how many wires yours has coming out of it, some have 4 some have 5 be sure to get the correct one or the blower wont run on full power.

good luck..

mercury

bit off topic sorry to hi jack,

but does having the fan on full blast all the time use more fuel or be a hazard? The blower gets its power fom the battery right? and the battery gets its power from the alternator which is being turned by the motor... So theoretically, the battery is getting free energy from the engine?

Also I heard its actually better u use the blower in the car so that its being used and doesnt freeze up and die.

Mine is currently on all the time and wont turn off... i am currently trying to find out what the problem is. However I do still drive it around so im wondering if i shouldnt as much with the blower on full blast.

Cheers,

Merc

Sign in to follow this