• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Rusty Sills

Ethos
1, Noooooo. better with a dremmel, small stone and small grinding discs

Thanks, i'll look into this then. See if someone got a dremmel I can borrow :D

GLPoomobile

I've been using wire brush attachments with a drill a lot recently to clean up manky old parts. TBH they are really only good for clearing the surface of the lighter rust that will come away as dust. If it's just light surface corrosion then with patience you can fight your way through it to a clean surface.

But for the inner wings it will be awkward to get in with a drill. I agree with Pugnut that you should try a Dremmel with a stone grinder or something. I've used an attachment like this and although it took ages due to it being a very small attachment, it cuts through the rust much better then a wire brush attachment.

Ethos

Ok, I can borrow a dremel off a friend so just need to find a decent attatchment now!

If I do grind it down, I'm guessing it's not a good idea to leave it long before treating it... so I best get saving and get everything I need to give it a "hit" in one go.

I wonder how many holes I can make...... :D

Edited by Ethos

Pugnut

i'm sorry Ethos i know you're on a budget and trying to do the best you can but i really feel you will be wasting you're time trying to bodge this. If you intend keeping the car for any length of time then the only way is to cut out and weld in fresh metal. This is the only way to gaurentee that it wont come back any time soon(even welding in fresh wont get rid forever). You can see you're car is bodged already and how long that has lasted. you'll just have the same work next year with even less metal to work with.

toddydal

just do it right and cut it out if you dont it wont last 3 mnths

Ethos

Guessing i'll be looking at silly money to get this done somewhere.

Thing is, Steve@Cornwall has a scrap shell I could cut bits from and my friend is a pretty good welder. It's just being able to "do the work" if that makes sense.

Where to cut etc... how to finish / was is structural (if any of it at all- im guessing it is).

Edited by Ethos

Project205

Out of interest, what is the concensus on how this rust began - was is from water entering through the holes for the side badges (1.6 GTi) or through the sill being hit by stones from the front wheels or a careless mechanic putting a jack to the sill?

Just curious.

Tom Fenton

The inner bit doesn't look so bad, but from the outside it does look a mess with obvious gobs of filler etc. If I were you I'd start by getting all the bog off to see what is what.

GLPoomobile
Out of interest, what is the concensus on how this rust began - was is from water entering through the holes for the side badges (1.6 GTi) or through the sill being hit by stones from the front wheels or a careless mechanic putting a jack to the sill?

Just curious.

I'd guess at one of two things. The most likely cause being the rear window seals shrinking, allowing water to seap in and run down the inside of the panel. The other, less likely cause would be the spot welds that hold the panel to the sill splitting, probably combined with the sealant on the outside perishing/cracking, allowing some movement in the panel a moisture ingress point.

Ethos

Well I wiped this down when I had a look at it, left it a day or so (crappy rain all the time at the mo).

Had a look at it earlier and it's wet again, no wonder it's rusting... can't quite see where it's coming in tho and it looks dry around it.

Trying to sort out all the little leaks I have now I think, not going to be helping any of the rust problems! :)

Ethos

Ok, had another look at both sides today. That hole that is on the "bad" side is actually meant to be there- I thought it was a hole made from the rust. There is an identical hole the other side so i'm guessing this is to drain the water if there is any.

Starting to feel a little better as the other side is looking pretty much perfect and now I know the hole is meant to be there.... makes me feel better!

John_205_GTi

I've found the same problem with mine, how dificult will be to replace the last 24-30in of the sill.

Ethos

Dunno mate.... you first :D :D :D

Pugnut
Guys, what does this look like instead of a dremel?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryrn_76862

i don't know about that exact model, but i have a cheap B&Q one which came with an extension peice for getting into small spaces. iirc it was about 30 quid and has lasted a good few years. The accesories that come with the halfords/b&q ones will be rubbish though. best bet is to buy a cheap one without accessories and use dremmel accessories with it. Dremmel accessories are second to none and will work out cheaper in the long run. They all normally fit each other.

Al

Pugnut
I'll keep my eye out for ones without the extras then...

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store...|Tools|10308128

That has teh flex tool! Might pop up there later.... not that I can buy it this week anyhow (damn girlfriend)!.

thats identical to mine except mine is blue and 'power pro' or something like that

Ethos

That does look pretty good, my local stores don't seem to have anything in. Guess that's the beauty of living in Cornwall

Thanks for the link flipper, might actually go for that one!

Ethos

Haha Steve, you crack me up! You are way too helpful.... Would love to borrow it if that's ok :(

steve@cornwall
Haha Steve, you crack me up! You are way too helpful.... Would love to borrow it if that's ok :(

No problem - anytime.

Ethos
No problem - anytime.

:(

Sign in to follow this