• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timb1046

Changed Clutch Now Wont Run

timb1046

yesterday and for part of this morning i changed my clutch following the exelent guide on here, however now that this is done the car will not run.

the car starts shoots to 3000rpm and then dies, i can rev it and keep it going like this but as soon as i let go of the throttle the engine dies again. any ideas what could cause this? i did find a 'thing' with a pipe going to the air filter and then another side to it with nothing coming off :s is this soimthing i could have knocked?

any help appriciated although im not the most technical person but will try my best to understand you :ph34r:

Cheers

Tim

welshpug

you've probably disturbed the pipes for the SAD, its bolted to the Thermostat housing under the dizzy, one pipe from the rubber elbow/K&N adapter, and the other to the bottom of the inlet manifold, check that both pipes are attached.

also check the oil filler pot if you moved it, the bolt into the intake manifold is in an open hole so will cause an air leak if not re-fitted.

jord294

also check the connection to your a.f.m :ph34r:

Rom

As said, it can only be something youve dislodged, or left unplugged :)

Recheck all the pipes and plugs around that side of the engine bay. Anywhere you were near basically.

Werent you meant to be in portsmouth after you got some track rod ends ? :(

S13Nick

mine used to do this... and then it started ticking over fine when warm... i never cam across the problem

timb1046

im pretty sure i plugged the AGM back in i'll check that. and i'll check all the pipes, as said it should be a quick fix of somthing i've knocked, i just didnt know where to start.

Rom, i am indeed now in portsmouth but had to get a lift down here. going to be back home on friday and will hopefully get it all fixed then! cheers for all the help.

Tim

timb1046

ok so i put the hoses back into the sad and now it doesnt even start. when one was out it used to rev rather high and then die as explained before, however, now it just splutters then dies no mater weather i pump the throttle or not.

any suggestions welcome. im now back with the car so can do stuff as its posted in real time :(

cheers

Tim

steve@cornwall
ok so i put the hoses back into the sad and now it doesnt even start. when one was out it used to rev rather high and then die as explained before, however, now it just splutters then dies no mater weather i pump the throttle or not.

any suggestions welcome. im now back with the car so can do stuff as its posted in real time :(

cheers

Tim

You've not got the afm on backwards, have you? (seems silly , but has been on here before)

t16ryan

did you unplug the SAD, as you may have put the SAD and ECU temp sensor plug on wrong way, sounds like its a big air leak from somewhere,

timb1046

ive tried the pipes on the SAD both ways round and neither works. noticed a vac pipe for the dizzy earlyer is snapped in two, where should this go? its a thin pipe. AFM wise the plug only goes in one way and i left the assembly made just took everything off the TB in one go.

Richie-Van-GTi

dizzy vac pipe goes to the throttle body and could be the air leak that is giving the issue, also check you havent took the bolt holding the filler neck to the plenum out and forgot it as this is a common error.

tony perks

Have you left the engine/gearbox earth wire off?

timb1046
Have you left the engine/gearbox earth wire off?

noope, well i attactched the earth back on to the box. the starter wouldnt run if i had anyway would it?

i have new HTs arriving on mon as one of the heads stayed attached to a plug when i pulled them out to check them. so until then i cant realy try anything more.

timb1046

Progress!!! at last! the car will now idle, however any slight openeing of the throttle and it splutters and dies, any ideas?

C_W

Could still be the AFM causing this problem. Did you take the inlet manifold off for any reason?

timb1046

nope the only part of the air intake that i took off was the induction kit and the AFM i think it is just before the Throttle body. but thats all conected back up and the AFM appears to be still working. are there any ways to tell?

timb1046

ok, update:

i have a blanked off hole on my intake where the oil breather pie would normaly go, BUT as i have a mini filter on the breather this is blanked off, when i un-blank it the engine runs alot better, however it still dies when i touch the throttle.

timb1046

firstly, sorry for multiple replys in a row but i cannot see for the life of me the edit button! its probably bright red and flashing and in front of me, but i cant see it, so apolagies.

ok, the AFM is making a loud sucking noise, even without the filter on. and the car is running very rich. could the AFM have given up at this moment in time by pure coincedence / from being taken out and maybe knocked.

where can i get a new AFM from? i imagine that all the AFMs are individual to engine types? so i cant go to the scrappy and get one off a 1.0?

Cheers

Tim

jackherer
AFM wise the plug only goes in one way and i left the assembly made just took everything off the TB in one go.

I don't think he meant the plug, the air hoses (at least when using a cone filter) can be fitted on opposite sides so the AFM flap can't move, it can just about let enough air through for the engine to splutter or possibly even idle but if the throttle is opened any further it will choke and die.

Matt Holley

It sounds like an afm problem to me, check the pins are o.k in the plug, I had exactly this problem with my old mi16 engine whilst on a track day, I went to start it for my second session and it would start but not rev at all,you could hear the air being sucked in but it would die, I messed around with the plug and it was fine again.

tony perks

Tim give martin a ring on 01453833185 hes in stroud he will sort you out.

timb1046
I don't think he meant the plug, the air hoses (at least when using a cone filter) can be fitted on opposite sides so the AFM flap can't move, it can just about let enough air through for the engine to splutter or possibly even idle but if the throttle is opened any further it will choke and die.

which air hoses are these? the flap is just before the cone goes on and opens up intowards the engine.

Matt:

i will go and check all the pins now.-- just checked the pins and gave them all a clean and no difference.

the car has been sat over night and so allowed to go cold and its now missing it did this yesterday but it was while we were trying to sort stuff out so just put it down to this. so until warm it appears to be missing. - however it will rev when missing, but as soon as warm it wont miss but wont rev either.....

Tim

Edited by timb1046

Matt Holley

One other thing I can think of as I did this with my first 205, have you unbolted the oil filler tower from the inlet manifold? If so did you re bolt it back on?

I forgot to put the bolt back in once and it didnt run well at all, it took me ages to figure out what it was aswell.

Only other thing I can think of is an air leak around the inlt manifold gasket, I know dixons old 205 when it still had the 1.6 in had this problem once, it would miss fire and run rough, could try spraying some wd40 round the manifold gasket to find a leak.

Just another thought, have you disturbed the h.t leads ie knocked them off and put them back on in the wrong order, I did that while doing a clutch change on my old 1.6 aswell :) O the days of my first 205, its all coming back to me now, I had to change the clutch 3 times in that :)

timb1046

ok the car now runs AND revs! so its sorted.. maybe.... i tightened the spring in the AFM by turning the cog with '120' written around it. is this wrong? and will it mess up the air/fuel mix or is it just a spring and so ok?

Cheers

Tim

timb1046

i took the spark plugs out earlyer and had a look at them and they were all completly carbon coated - so its over fueling, whacked some new ones in and ran it for a min pulled them out and they were also (non- supprisingly) coated in carbon deposits.

SO, my question is: how do i adjust the fuel/air mix, OR what controls it that may have broken/disconected itself etc.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Tim

Sign in to follow this