• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Rusty Fuel Pipes

Alan_M

As the title really, are rusty-ish fuel pipes an MOT failure?

welshpug

surface rust or actual structural corrosion?

either way if its not leaking and is still securely attached to the body it will only be an advisory note.

mine had the same note on the first 2 MOT's in the 4 years I've had my car, it wasn't picked up the last 2 years even though the same tester did the MOT!

Miles

Give them a quick wire brush and some underseal then drive thru some puddles, But I'd replace them ASAP afterwards as it's a easy job

jord294
Give them a quick wire brush and some underseal then drive thru some puddles, But I'd replace them ASAP afterwards as it's a easy job

i had an advisory last year for fuel pipe corrosion. so about 8 weeks ago i decided to fit brand new ones. the only down side is that peugeot don't sell them pre-formed, so you have to bend them yourself. took me about 2 hours, and a tidy job, even if i say so :blink:

on closer inspection of the old fuel lines, there was some pitting.

but i would have to agree with miles, if you don't want the hassle of replacing with new

for reference. the fuel pipe from peugeot costs £13 approx, and is enough to do both lines

joni

I've always been one for using the wire brush and a bit of old oil to clean them up but recently i decided to change mine and i'm glad i did because they pretty much fell off as opposed to being taken off! I'm now running the fuel inside the car through plastic coated copper pipe (used in LPG conversions and cheap!).

Alastairh
for reference. the fuel pipe from peugeot costs £13 approx, and is enough to do both lines

Is that all it is? Crickey. To be fair Alan. Your doing all this work, and even if they do look suspect you'd be silly not change them.

Al :)

steve@cornwall
Is that all it is? Crickey. To be fair Alan. Your doing all this work, and even if they do look suspect you'd be silly not change them.

Al :)

At that price even I will get some!!!

jord294

i do have a spare brand new length of pipe if anyone is interested?

bought in error, as on my parts cd, it stated 2 different pipes, but it's not.

have even got spare union and olive :)

pug_ham

When I bought my black GTi it had a split fuel pipe due to rust that had been bodged with some hose so I replaced it with some proper hig pressure fuel hose right from the tank to undeneath the fuel filter but at £13 for the replacement steel pipes I'll replace that soon.

Going to ring Pug tomorrow to order some more wishbone bush kits, a couple of seperate wishbone bushes & I might as well get this at the same time on a stock order. I'll get a set for each of my GTi's.

BTW, Pug part number is;

• 1579 26 02 FUEL FEED PIPE 6,5X8-3970 CL. 15.86 GBP

And the hoses from the tank cap down to these metal pipes;

• 1573 38 01 RUBBER HOSE 7X15-9X17-850 26.46 GBP

I think you'd have to order two of the rubber hoses but only one of the metal sets.

Graham.

KRISKARRERA

Don't you need special tools to fit new pipe?

welshpug

ideally a pipe union spanner (normally called a brake pipe spanner, but larger) but normal spanners will do the trick, as wll as a screwdriver/sidecutters for some of the clips.

must get round to doing mine, though IIRC from pricing them up a whole ago the part numbers quoted by Graham are listed NFP, and you have to buy straight pipe and the appropriate unions.

pug_ham
IIRC from pricing them up a whole ago the part numbers quoted by Graham are listed NFP, and you have to buy straight pipe and the appropriate unions.

Just checked on sevicebox again & they aren't listed as NFP that I can see;

0000157926 FUEL FEED PIPE 13.50 GBP 15.86 GBP 15.86 GBP

I didn't get chance to ring Pug today with being busy at work & getting the bits for my STDT MOT fail fixing (currently cost = £20 all in :)) but should have chance tomorrow morning among other things.

Graham.

Sandy

If in doubt CHANGE THEM!!!!

I had an advisory on mine and had intended to change them. I bit the bullet yesterday and with the car up on the ramp, pulled one out of the clip and it instantly sprung a leak:

post-2671-1217143390_thumb.jpg

The other one snapped in half as soon as I tried to unclip it:

post-2671-1217143452_thumb.jpg

I'm very very glad I did them now! I replaced mine with 8mm copper gas pipe.

Alan_M

Seeing as I have a severe lack of time, can I buy any of the material mentione to replace the fuel-lines from anywhere but Pug?

jimistdt

In a previous post Jord offered up some pipes to anyone who's interested. Sandy used 8mm Copper Gas Pipe which is readily available from Plumbers Merchants and the like.

ashley peddle
In a previous post Jord offered up some pipes to anyone who's interested. Sandy used 8mm Copper Gas Pipe which is readily available from Plumbers Merchants and the like.

B&Q should do it ;)

Alan_M
B&Q should do it ;)

Yep, just got 10m of the stuff for £15.

I gather there is no need to flare the ends though, as I was just going to use the proper petrol pipe jubilee clips instead.

pug_ham

I've (literally) just orderd these pipes from Pug, they are still available.

I should have mine the middle of next week as I've ordered them by dealer stock order which is submitted once a week & delivered the following week.

I've also ordered a couple more wishbone bush kits to fix the collection of wishbones I've got with decent bushes. ;)

Graham.

Sandy

Ideally, flaring the ends eliminates the possibility of slippage, but due to not having a suitable collet to hand on the day, mine aren't flared! I replaced the flexible sections too, applying the paranoia principle.

Last Legend

Are these the same a 'Kunifer' pipes?

kyepan

so are the pug ones preformed, or just a length you have to form?

jord294
so are the pug ones preformed, or just a length you have to form?

i had an advisory last year for fuel pipe corrosion. so about 8 weeks ago i decided to fit brand new ones. the only down side is that peugeot don't sell them pre-formed, so you have to bend them yourself. took me about 2 hours, and a tidy job, even if i say so :lol:

on closer inspection of the old fuel lines, there was some pitting.

but i would have to agree with miles, if you don't want the hassle of replacing with new

kyepan
Just checked on sevicebox again & they aren't listed as NFP that I can see;

0000157926 FUEL FEED PIPE 13.50 GBP 15.86 GBP 15.86 GBP

so this is the part number for the length of pipe that needs fitting?

cheeers

j

James_m

How has everyone been bending these pipes to the correct shape?

Presumably some kind of special tool is needed?

Sign in to follow this