• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bill

Oil Cooler?

bill

After the last rolling road session, i've been told an oil cooler would be a good idea, its a 205mi16 by the way, on carbs if this makes any differance, so what i'm asking is, which oil cooler do i need, i presume an uprated item is best, but where can i get one from? and and what cost roughly?

cheer

adamc
After the last rolling road session, i've been told an oil cooler would be a good idea, its a 205mi16 by the way, on carbs if this makes any differance, so what i'm asking is, which oil cooler do i need, i presume an uprated item is best, but where can i get one from? and and what cost roughly?

cheer

not too clued up on oil coolers, thinking about getting one myself, found this one on ebay which will prob suit you well

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=013

bill

nice find, i'll keep an eye on it :)

dazEmad

Very good to have if your goin on track but for normal road use i would say theres no need.

bill

went for £122, my car will be used for track and fast road use, and the odd day up the strip

Pugnut
Very good to have if your goin on track but for normal road use i would say theres no need.

good if you tow a caravan too!!

seriously though , short journeys, cold mornings etc the engine will take ages to get up to temp which wont do it much good. you can get thermostats as add on's though.

in a 405/bx the mi16 didnt have an air-oil cooler . it had a heat exchanger oil-water which helped the engine heat up quicker. whether it helped oil cooling when the engine was working hard i dont know.

Alastairh
in a 405/bx the mi16 didnt have an air-oil cooler . it had a heat exchanger oil-water which helped the engine heat up quicker. whether it helped oil cooling when the engine was working hard i dont know.

I have one plumbed in on my Mi.

As said, it warms up reasonably quick. The needle is moving within 4 miles down the dual carriage way. But on a long high speed blat i haven't seen it go above 1/2 way.

I have a second switched fan. So once coming to the end of the blat and forced to be stationary, i normally flick the switch and within 2 minutes its back to normal driving running temp.

My coolant gauge (as much as you can trust these 80s gauges for these days) deals with it fine as it has a healthy coolant system. If yours has a weak spot, it will show very quickly.

Personally, for my next GTI6 engine 205, i will probably run one as i see it works well for my fast road needs.

Al :(

Edited by Alastairh

Cameron

I never had any problems with my Mi oil / water heater thing on the road, but the oil did get pretty hot when I took it to the 'ring. It's probably worth getting an oil / air one if you plan on doing track days, but make sure you get one with an oilstat then it won't suffer when it gets cold.

While on the subject, does anybody know what size thread the Mocal fitting kits come with? Apparently there are 2 sizes - 1/2 and 5/8 BSP depending on engine size or something like that. I don't want to get the wrong cooler! :(

Edited by Cameron

miamichris

if you look for matt lewis racing shop on ebay, he sells uprated mocal oil coolers for the 205 gti, about 105 quid iirc..i've bought a few things from him for my rebuild (mocal braided brake pipes, poly bushes etc) and had no problems..hope that helps :)

bill

cheers pal, found his shop and they sell em :)

miamichris

no problem :)

pug_ham

I've got the remote oil & water heat exchanger set up on my 8v GTi & it works fine.

Takes between five & 10 minutes to start climbing under normal driving, then it sits on the first mark on the guage rising to the second on the motorway or when on a fast A road run using the full rev range.

On track the oil & water both sit in the upper range of the guages so the oil is sitting about 10'+ hotter than the water but I've never had a problem with it.

Graham.

bill

right folks i'm ready to order my oil cooler now off matt lewis racing on ebay, just spoke to him and he suggests a 16 row oil cooler for my spec/power over the 13 row, hope it wont be overkill!

all though i will be thrashing it to within an inch of its life when it see's a track :o

Stu

Ive got a mocal on mine mate, but a 13 row, and to date its been absolutely great, even after a really hard session at donny the temp never goes above halfway, and a cool down lap will see it back to the first mark.

An added benefit to ditching the water/oil exchanger is i find the coolant temperature is absolutely rock solid now too, whereas it used to get a little hot before.

Heres mine:

th_oilcoolersept08009.jpg

th_oilcoolersept08008.jpg

bill

thats sounds/looks spot on mate, the one i'm after is a mocal unit, good to see it does its job, have you a pic with the bumper on? and did you have to make a cut out in the bumper?

Stu

Heres the bumper, i cut out the fog light recess things and bought a speaker port from Maplins for the round hole, and meshed it with an old speaker grill :o

th_oilcoolersept08011.jpg

This is the only pic ive got of the car from the front mate, i should really give it a clean and go get some newer ones..

th_trackratontour.jpg

Edited by pugtorque
Image filesizes, click thumbnails for fullsize.

bill

very nicely done there, cheers for the pics :o i'll be leaving mine with a garage to do, cant see it being as tidy as that mind

Stu

:lol:

No problem buddy, the hardest part was fab'ing the mounting brackets really, i had the hoses made at Pirtek too so it was a bit of a gamble to see if my measuring was right :P

Also, if you put the cooler where i have, you have to cut out the foglight backing else it will hit it. :)

bill

i'm not to arsed about cutting bits out of the bumper to be honest, the more the better, get it nice and light :lol:

casnell
i'm not to arsed about cutting bits out of the bumper to be honest, the more the better, get it nice and light :)

I've got a 16 row Matt Lewis one mounted on the passengers side behind the bumper on the bar my sump guard sits on so quite low down. Works really well even in 40 degC for hours .

philfingers

Ah, this was my quandry yesterday. Mi16 motor with full PTS gravel guard. I was thinking about mounting it on the box side on top of the S/G bar as there's a bit of space there. Other option was to make it fit inside the spare fan slot in the cowling. I have a newish rad and the tuned 8v that was in the car before never got too warm with one fan (and oil was water cooled too).

I do like Stu's option tho. means the rad can be removed without disturbing the cooler. Tho' mounted inside infornt of the box maybe a better option.

I would strongly recommend a thermostat sandwich plate too, more expensive but stops the oil over cooling

DRTDVL

This is how mines mounted...

P1050525.jpg

It sits higher than the sump guard and there is a small fin channelling air into it that sits under the bumper lip...

philfingers

oooh that wouldn't work for me, would get ripped off on the first night out! I have mounted it to the top of the sump guard bar on the inside of the radiator. It won't be quite so effective there but shouldn't get damaged and is relatively out of the way. Will post some piocs when i get time,

Phil

DRTDVL

The sump guard isn't fitted.

The silver looking thing is the expanded sump

philfingers

jeez, how low is it. Before I fitted the Mi mine would be just a little lower than the little crossmember in your pics. I'm going to have to drop it 1.5" now tho to clear the Mi16 lump with Gti6 sump and the spacer/stiffener too