• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Joining Wires (loom Conversion)

Ethos

This shouldn't end up in a bulky mess, the sleeves aren't that much bigger than the wire. I think these are a good compromise for someone who isn't experienced at soldering.

;)

Edited by Ethos

welshpug

just stagger the joints a bit, there's usually enough wire to do so and spreads the bulk of the connectors over a few inches rather than having them all in the same place.

Alastairh
This shouldn't end up in a bulky mess, the sleeves aren't that much bigger than the wire. I think these are a good compromise for someone who isn't experienced at soldering.

;)

To be fair your right. Soldering is like Welding. Its great a novice saying 'i can weld' but, well? No. Some of the soldering from contracters we see in our place is shocking, and something that needs plenty of practice including heat shrinking. So proving you have decent ratchet crimps, and no copper on show you should be fine with those crimps.

Al

Ethos

Welshpug, they will be staggered for sure. I made sure I had lots of cable to join up!!

I bought some good rachet crimps Alastairh, once the ends are heatshrunk there is no copper at all outside the connection. This also makes it pretty waterproof.

Will probably cover it with something like this after (with a slit).

f7.jpg

Some of the cables are going to be routed right out of the bulkhead so might invest in some heat proof protection too and run it along the back wall and then across to the gearbox ;)

Edited by Ethos

GLPoomobile

I totall agree about soldering. I can join two bits of wire together with a blob of solder, but I'm pretty bad at it. In fact, I bloody hate soldering! Stupid, fiddly, annoying job, that I always make a mess of and burn the insulation etc. Prob comes down in part to using cheap tools and a lack of knowledge.

I like these wiring topics cos it was a subject that never used to get discussed much on here, and I was completely clueless about it all. We've got quite a few good topics with good practical advice now.

By the way (a bit off topic) I just bought a load of 2 pin, 3 pin and 5 pin Jnuior Power Timer connectors and will be replacing all my engine loom connectors with them (I only need to do the injectors but thought what the hell, in for a penny, in for a pound!). They are all a direct fit, and once on, no more pissing about with those fiddly little clips when I need to unplug something. Quick release baby!

gti-si

Ethos, where did you get the connectors your using? Look perfect, need to redo mine now, only did it with a box junction at first just to make sure I'd wired her up right! They look ideal for what I want

Ethos

Believe it or not, halfords! I paid £2 for 4 @ trade price... think they're about £2.50 normally.

gti-si

Ahh nice one, they in the little bagged up section? I'll take a trip over tomorrow

Ethos
Ahh nice one, they in the little bagged up section? I'll take a trip over tomorrow

Yep with all the other little connections, standard sizes. Red, yellow and blue :angry:

gti-si

Just like to say, went to Halfords today and bought a stock full of these connectors! There excellent, used them just as described by Ethos, then put some heatshrink over the top as well so they look very tidy. Managed to get my wiring loom for the Gti-6 looking better than it did from the factory. There very sturdy and provide an excellent connection and seem like they'll be pretty durable, obviously only time will tell

But yeah, defiantly good if your not an experienced solderer or simply can't be arsed soldering outside...which personally, I hate!

Sign in to follow this