• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Alternator Wiring

TaffyTim

I have just put a 2nd hand alternator on the car and Just started it up and it threw out loads of smoke :)

Have i wired it up wrongly? I put the spade connector on the spade and i thought i put the other wire on the negative, is this wrong?

jackherer

Yes thats wrong, nothing goes to negative, it grounds through the body.

TaffyTim

Colour blind people should not be allowed to play with electrics :)

This might be a stupid question but why is there a negative terminal on it if its not used? I presume its not just there for an armature pyrotechnic show?

Rippthrough
Colour blind people should not be allowed to play with electrics :)

This might be a stupid question but why is there a negative terminal on it if its not used? I presume its not just there for an armature pyrotechnic show?

Should be one wire to the dash warning light, one wire to the 12v distribution block, and one big fat 12v wire to the battery.

pug_ham
Should be one wire to the dash warning light, one wire to the 12v distribution block, and one big fat 12v wire to the battery.

205's don't have the wire from the 12v distribution block, at least not on any I've seen or had.

Graham.

Rippthrough
205's don't have the wire from the 12v distribution block, at least not on any I've seen or had.

Graham.

Pass, haven't got one, but it still shows there shouldn't be one to earth :)

Sign in to follow this