• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonnygoodhand

[car_overhaul] Uk 205 Rallye Engine, Suspension And Body Mods

paul205mi16

Got any more pic of the rear arch chopping?Its the inner bit I'm interested in really the bits you folded and sealed..Also, Did you weld it at all,Or just sealant?

jonnygoodhand
Got any more pic of the rear arch chopping?Its the inner bit I'm interested in really the bits you folded and sealed..Also, Did you weld it at all,Or just sealant?

Afraid they're the only pics I have. The inner wing was cut fractionally higher than the outer wing. The 'tabs', formed from the cuts to the outer wing, were then folded in towards the inner wing. I gave them a good smack with a mallet to ensure no jagged edges were on show then painted & sealed. I didn't weld them. I guess time will tell if this was wise or not, although I have heard of people using this method before with no probems reported thus far.

jonnygoodhand

Picked up the car from the body shop over the weekend and very happy with the results!

Spend the last few hours bolting bits back together and it's now beginning to take shape again.

new-paint-01.jpg

new-paint-02.jpg

new-paint-03.jpg

The panel gap between the wing and door doesn't seem half as bad either, now paint is more of a match.

Getting there. Slowly...

dale205mills

Nice and white :) looks relly nice

Sandy

Good stuff John, looking great!

jonnygoodhand

Thanks for the comments! Will hopefully get the rest of the exterior sorted over the next couple of days. Then hopefully get chance to enjoy it properly!

Lan
Thanks for the comments! Will hopefully get the rest of the exterior sorted over the next couple of days. Then hopefully get chance to enjoy it properly!

looking good mate btw thx for the decals there really nice, i bought some off you just recently the boot one fitted nicely onto the ridged boot :)

welshpug

very nice ;) though the orange indicators dont quite fit in with the whole whiteness, especially on a K plate :)

jonnygoodhand
very nice ;) though the orange indicators dont quite fit in with the whole whiteness, especially on a K plate :)

Must admit, I'm a little unsure about the indicators. My thinking behind it was that the car is a little retro (all the PTS referrences, the webers), so I thought I'd go the whole hog!

As for them being at contrast with the white, I quite like that. Afterall, the majority (first batch) of Euro Rallyes are phase 1 cars.

I've also got a thing about the indicators matching the side repeaters, and as of yet, I've been unable to find any decent quality clear repeaters...

jonnygoodhand
looking good mate btw thx for the decals there really nice, i bought some off you just recently the boot one fitted nicely onto the ridged boot :)

No problem! Glad you like them and they fitted OK. Look forward to seeing some pics of it.

205Rallee
Must admit, I'm a little unsure about the indicators. My thinking behind it was that the car is a little retro (all the PTS referrences, the webers), so I thought I'd go the whole hog!

As for them being at contrast with the white, I quite like that. Afterall, the majority (first batch) of Euro Rallyes are phase 1 cars.

I've also got a thing about the indicators matching the side repeaters, and as of yet, I've been unable to find any decent quality clear repeaters...

Bit late for this , but all the phase 1 rallyes didn't have side repeaters but that can make for problems at MOT time!

danpug

Looking very good. I personally like the orange indicators on it, does add a cool retro element to it.

jonnygoodhand
Bit late for this , but all the phase 1 rallyes didn't have side repeaters but that can make for problems at MOT time!

The wings I fitted didn't have holes for the side repeaters and I was tempted to try and get away with it! But ended up drilling my own as I thought it'd end up a lot of hassle if they did mention it at the MOT Station.

Edited by jonnygoodhand

jonnygoodhand

Managed to scrape together another couple of hours on the car earlier and gave it a good clean and polish (G3 Rubbing Compound)

clean-01.jpg

clean-02.jpg

clean-03.jpg

Then fitted the first batch of decals, sunvisor and Speedlines

stickered-01.jpg

stickered-02.jpg

stickered-03.jpg

Will hopefully have time to add the rest of the decals over the weekend...

Sandy

Haha, awesome, I love the "1.5 Rallye", that'll confuse people!

205Rallee

Is it going to geta gti rear valance? Love the wheels!

jonnygoodhand
Is it going to geta gti rear valance? Love the wheels!

I have considered it, but I'm in no rush. If one comes up for sale nearby and it's white, then most likely.

In the meantime, I'm going to avoid parking next to any GTIs so it's not as apparent! :)

christopher

Looking good...Retro is cool. I'm liking the yellow indicators :)

post-4275-1219965381_thumb.jpg

jonnygoodhand

I've been waiting for a dry day so I can finish off a few things and with today being forecast as 'the best this week' (it hasn't been!), I thought I'd replace some of the interior trim, give it a good clean inside and fit the rest of the decals.

As I've mentioned before, I produce these decals myself using a simple vinyl cutter and I thought I'd have a crack at doing some T16/original Group N (or is it A? I never remember) style decals, as I've had the pics below sitting on my harddrive for ages and keep looking at them.

decals-montage.jpg

The decals are made by cutting the individual sections out of the correct colour vinyl, then layering them onto the main colour (in this case, light blue). I was pretty happy with the results and was looking forward to seeing them on the car.

t16-decals.jpg

As you can see, there one missing. When I came to apply them to the car, I completely ballsed it up! I had hoped that a little heat applied whilst sticking them on would've persuaded them to mould around the arches. No such luck! I reckon the layering technique results in too thick of a sticker. I imagine they'd be fine on a car without arches though...

It should've looked something like this:

t16-stylee.jpg

So, I'm going to have to look into different ways of applying them, or get them printed in a different way. I have seen a couple of similar sets for sale through ebay, but they don't look quite right to me (either too angular or too rounded), plus I'd like the colours to match the grill and boot stripes exactly.

In the meantime, I've produced some simple stripes, as used on the Euro Rallyes

stripe-coil.jpg

This was supposed to be a temporary measure as I never intended to make the car a complete Euro Rallye replica. But I dunno, I quite like them now. Especially with the C5 Steelies fitted.

euro-stylee.jpg

I know I may get shot down in flames here, but I may even prefer these wheels to the 434s...

Sandy

I like it :blush:

205Rallee

Stick with the euro rallye thin stripes plus the PTS Flames on the front wings above the side repeaters. The works french 205rallyes didn't have the big T16 stripes and Simon Davison's UK works Group A 205 Rallye had the big style stickers at the front which blended into thinish PTS stripes about 6" under the windows.

I'll have a set of the 205 euro rallye side stripes if you start making them!

The c5 steelies are probably lighter than the sl434's. I'm told you can still get proper euro rallye steel wheels in white from Peugeot Stealers at circa £100 for 4! Stick a set of 175 50 13 tyres on it and it would look ace, plus the unsprung weight would be reduced and the gearing would be fun!

jonnygoodhand

I completely forgot about the Flames! I'll stick them on in the morning.

As for the weight of the wheels, I think the Speedlines come in at around 8.5kg, where as the C5 Steelies are just 4.7kg. You can really tell the difference too! As for the 13" wheels, I'm not sure the weight would vary much, especially when you consider the 14" 106 Rallye Steelies are over 6kg each.

205Rallee

How much are the C5 steelies? What size are they?

Sandy

6x15 and about £70 each new,but cheaper second hand obviously, if you can find them.

arnold naber

Looks nice !

i would stick with the c5 alusteelies...

or the s2 106 14" version....

Looks the bomb....use the standard stickers..