• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

1.9 Conversion Done

Well, got it running a lot better. Will start every time now and continues to run.

However, it still runs a bit "lumpy" - more noticable at idle, than at at higher revs. I suspect the AFM because when I swapped it with my old 1.6 AFM (which seemed to be very good with the old engine) it ran smoother, albeit at higher revs until I had lowered the idle with the T/body screw. Can I run it with a 1.6 AFM or will this be no good when it's actually on the road?

Anyone able to tell me if a 1.6 AFM should run on my 1.9? At first, it seemed to run really well (stationary). Now it has gone back to the way it was with the 1.9 AFM - not starting or, if on the odd occasion that it does, not continuing to run. Swapping between the two AFMs doesn't change anything either. I was fairly sure that it must be the 1.9AFM giving me the problems as when I first tried the 1.6 AFM it worked and I tried swapping them several times to be sure. However, now, it's back to the way it was with both AFMs! So now I'm not so sure..... it seems to be very inconsistent.

jackherer

The fueling will be wrong with a 1.6 ECU. The ECU, AFM and injectors need to be a matched set really.

That makes sense, but why did it work at first?! Just makes me wonder whether my problem isn't the AFM...

jackherer

Coincidence? ;)

Its worth looking at the pins in the AFM plug, they have a tendency to get pushed back into the plug casing. Also its worth removing the rubber cover on the plug and checking the condition of the wires as they go into it.

t16ryan

fix it??

Not yet!! I am hoping a new (well, different) AFM will solve it. I have, however, got it to start consistently and run no problem. However, problem with misfiring type of issue (not just at idle) continues though...

It has:

new spark plugs and dizzy cap (also tried old ones with no difference)

the other bits were all working fine with my old 1.6 engine ie:

ignition amp

loom to dizzy and connecting lead

HT leads

King lead

coil

So one of the few unknowns is the AFM (which looks like it has been messed with sometime before in its life - definitely retracked).

With any luck I'll be able to close this thread when I get the new AFM!

So, to close this thread - it was indeed the AFM causing my problems. Second hand one fitted and it is fine. Insured from tomorrow, so can't wait to get it out on the road! Cheers all for the help.

Sign in to follow this