• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

Any One Else Struggle To Fill Up With Petrol?

Fox

I've filled up the gti 3 times now, and it takes ages! It seems to not get into the tank quick enough and clicks the pump off.

I have to fill really slowly to stop it from doing it.

Any one else have this problem, or know a possible cause?

Jer309GTi
I've filled up the gti 3 times now, and it takes ages! It seems to not get into the tank quick enough and clicks the pump off.

I have to fill really slowly to stop it from doing it.

Any one else have this problem, or know a possible cause?

I used to have that problem on my old XS with certain pumps. I just used to try turning the nozzle round until you could get the best flow into the tank.

Fox
I used to have that problem on my old XS with certain pumps. I just used to try turning the nozzle round until you could get the best flow into the tank.

I've tried different pumps, and twisted it around best I can, and it seems to make no difference. Is there a vent that might be blocked or something?

mojo1997

I've had the same, I try to turn the nozzel round untill it flows quickly. On a couple occassions it has spat fuel back out (must have backed up in the neck), spat about 1-2 ltr of fuel out....bugger me thats £2.50... :(

chrisj21

I think there all the same. certainly both mine have been. i now put the nozzle in and push the handle up towards the car as much as i can and it fills at full speed.

jackherer

All the ones I've had in the past have done it but one I built recently from a bare shell doesn't so it must be a blocked breather or something else fixable.

They seem to be worse when they are empty, if theres at least a tenners worth or so in there its not as bad but if its run with the light on for a while it'll be very tricky to keep the pump running which supports a blocked breather theory IMO.

Jrod

Never had a problem on any of mine.

Fox

I'm glad i'm not the only one, mojo, I had the same problem yesterday, it spat it all over my shoes! I'll try your trick!

James_R

205 refeeding syndrome, has got me a couple of times, have to feed it the first £10 in small chunks then it's ok.

I think it's a breather issue aswell, I can really dont' want to drop the tank off having done it before I know's a bit of a pain :)

engine killer

i have this problem for all my 205s. my mechanic checked it for me and said there is a breather hose connected between the tank and the filler neck (about 2 inches below the filler mouth, you can stick your finger in and feel the hole is on the near side of the filler). confirmed the hose is fine and unblocked but once any excessive fuel dropped into that hose, it suddenly block the breather hose and choke up the filler hose, then spit. a long nose filler to by pass the breather hole is the solution.

Edited by engine killer

S13Nick

i only have this problem at morrisons petrol stations, witht the fuel coming back out and the pump clicking............ but use texaco 99% of the time and its allways ok

jackherer
i have this problem for all my 205s. my mechanic checked it for me and said there is a breather hose connected between the tank and the filler neck

Without removing the tank your mechanic hasn't seen everything.... That isn't the only hose. Like I said a 205 I built recently from a bare shell doesn't have this problem so its definitely not fundamental to the design. I used to think it was as all 205s I've had have done it but now I've changed my mind.

jackherer
i only have this problem at morrisons petrol stations, witht the fuel coming back out and the pump clicking............ but use texaco 99% of the time and its allways ok

Newer pumps seem to be much worse, I assume the flow rate is higher. I know one garage that has some pretty old eighties style pumps (complete with a plate telling you to attach your aircraft earth bonding lead so I assume they were surplus stock from an airfield) which don't click off much but also take ages to fill up.

engine killer
Without removing the tank your mechanic hasn't seen everything.... That isn't the only hose. Like I said a 205 I built recently from a bare shell doesn't have this problem so its definitely not fundamental to the design. I used to think it was as all 205s I've had have done it but now I've changed my mind.

no, we did not remove the tank to check and we will. we used the air gun (from air pump) direct to that hole to see whether the air can get through easily and it did.

may i ask what to look for when the tank is removed?

thanks.

kyepan

stung me a few times when first got the car, spurting fuel back out over me, i fill slowly to begin with and twist to get the nossle right down the filler neck, then speed up once it is breathing ok.

timb1046

i generaly have to twist the nozle round a bit until it works, it spat a load onto my shoe the other day though..... not good just before a date.. yummy petrol smell :s

Fox

This is still happening and really, really annoying me! It seems there is no way to fill unless you go really slowly, I'll have to take the filler out and have a look at what the problem is.

pacey205

Best way Ive found on mine is to have the handle pointing towards the back off the car (so the handle is almost touching the 3/4 panel) so that the nozzle is pretty much facing right down the filler pipe. Dont seem to have any problems with it cutting out/spurting out etc.

Michael

James Stewart

Yep, after learning the hard way many years ago, I always turn the pump anti-clockwise so that the nozzle is pointing towards the front of the car and straight (ish) down the filler.

Your knuckles will be pointing just below the rear edge of the lower rear quarter badge. Have never had a problem since on lots of different GTis.

James.

chocolate_o_brian
Best way Ive found on mine is to have the handle pointing towards the back off the car (so the handle is almost touching the 3/4 panel) so that the nozzle is pretty much facing right down the filler pipe. Dont seem to have any problems with it cutting out/spurting out etc.

Michael

this is exactly what i do. going from an impreza (which you can expect most of your time to be spent at the local shell station) to the 205gti, i noticed a problem striaght away. the filler hose wouldnt just sit in striaght and ive found my best method to be the following...

filling from near empty (usual story), i pop the hose in with handle facing the back on the 3/4 panel but lifted up a little. first few squirts in slowly, then nice and fast until you can see on the counter shes gonna be full soon. then slow down to supress the usual over spill down your pants or on the bodywork (this depends on the violence of the spirt :D ), then just top up until completly pull (usually a few clicks and twisting of the hose).

it definatley keeps you on your toes compared to my old scoob, thats for sure :lol:

Baz

It's so common and annoying, but some seem to be worse than others. Blocked filler breathers rings a bell.

Ethos

I might check the girlfriends then. I've spurting petrol out on myself 2-3 times now, one time I was looking across at a nice elise that had just driven in when my girlfriend shouted to me from inside the station. Must of spilt s*itloads.... oops :lol:

shalmaneser

Was just about to start a topic on this, the joys of search, eh?

Thanks for the tips guys!

Widdowmaker

I had this issue on my XS, and having the same on the misses CTi.

She always gets me to fill it as I have developed the knack.

I push the nozzle in straight - the turn anti clock wise through about 80 degress - so its almost pointing along the car. Going from empty - this can be quite painfull (so you know your doing it right)- As you approach full - you can hear it - ease of and it normally clicks off - a few top ups to brim it - and your away.

Para

I had the same problem many times, now i am just really careful as I don't want to loose any petrol ;) Just press it slowly and look how people behind ¥ou are getting annoyed ;P

Sign in to follow this