• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Coonper

Who Will Fit My Loom?

pug_ham
yeah 185bhp. Then I went back to AFM cos I was skint at the fuel bills were too high (78p per litre!).

:ph34r:

I thought it was because of the carbs made it thirsty because of the induction noise they made was addictive.

Graham.

jackherer

It was Chris White who I remembered reckoned motronic was no good with carbs, most of his posts haven't been archived on here sadly but they are still on the old BX 16v forum - http://www.bx16v.com/archive_forum/viewtop...&highlight=

I had the twin 45s running on Motronic ignition - although there was no urgency to acceleration as the ignition map will be 2D not 3D - this meaning the ECU does not advance the ignition when you put your foot down.

pug_ham
I had the twin 45s running on Motronic ignition - although there was no urgency to acceleration as the ignition map will be 2D not 3D - this meaning the ECU does not advance the ignition when you put your foot down

Isn't the ignition static (vac advance disconnected) though when you fit the dizzy adaptor on the 8v loom with carbs so it won't make any difference?

Graham.

jackherer

Yes thats true but the ECU is capable of using a completely different safe map under error conditions (limp home mode) whereas a distributor will always have at least the basic advance from the centrifugal weights.

Its a pointless discussion anyway because it obviously does work if Taffycrook and Gerlewislewis have had good results so Chris White must have done something differently or wrong. Out of interest what did you do with the throttle position switch? Was it connected at all and if so what position was it in? I would have thought that could make quite a difference?

taffycrook

Not sure the throttle switch has much effect on this system.

However if you wanted to adj the timing you could with resistors across the afm signal.

In this case the car didn't need it and it made plenty of beans, however it will be a compromise and not as good as proper mapped ign.

I have thought about this since its re appeared as a topic and I think you could wire the afm signal to the carb throttle pot to act as a load signal, 0.5v tickover and 4.0v wot.

Worth a try.

Sign in to follow this