• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jshep205gti

Changing The "metal Pipe"

jshep205gti

I am in the middle of changing my rad on my GTi..... (£39 next day from GSF.... impressive)

Thought Id change the metal coolant pipe while Im at it. I am assuming it can be done with the engine still on its mounts!!?!? Well I hope so but it does look pretty tight to get too! The pipe looks like its bolts are higher than the pipe will be.... how awkward?!?!?

Is there anything else to know generally about changing the rad or this pipe?!?! Other than taking the wheel off and that plastic crap can I make the pipe change easier?!?!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Shep

welshpug

take the wheel off, unbolt the wheelarch liner, undo the 2 bolts securing the pipe to the inner wing, undo the 2 jubilee clips, repeat in reverse then fill and bleed cooling system :)

Pugnut

get the metal pipe from the drivers wheel arch. remove the plastic cover first. the bolts will probably just snap when you try to remove them and you'll need to redrill and tap the holes to use the correct fixings. i've seen plenty tywrapped up etc but personally always do it properly cos i'm like that .

jshep205gti

Oh guys you make the job seem so tech!!!

Every single job I do on my car I find bolts that are rusted up... So I kinda expect that. Ive got some cable ties standing by...

What Im actually expecting is that the bolts that hold the rusted old pipe on arent going to move...Ive got WD40 on them atm.

Ok I need some new jubilee clips....

ccgoose

did this about a month or so ago and all well and good, very easy, just remember to bleed the system!!

GLPoomobile

Drain the coolant (so it doesn't go down your sleeve while trying to pry the hoses off of the metal pipe :) )

Drill or grind the screws/bolts that hold the plastic arch liner in place, then move it out of the way.

Spray copious amounts if Plusgas on the screws that hold the metal pipe to the arch, then waste hours trying to remove them with the aid of a blowtorch and impact driver. Eventually, admit defeat and simply grind or drill out the screws.

Remove the jubilee clips from either end of the pipe - depending on type of clip and/or level of corrosion, probably resort to cutting or grinding the clips off.

Try to prise the hoses off of the metal pipe. Loosening the hose at the radiator helps give some movement, but again, depending on age and/or level of corrosion, the hoses will probably be very stubborn to remove.

Refit is the reversal of removal, but much easier.

HINT: if you can't get the screws out of the arch and have to resort to butchery, but don't fancy re-tapping the hole, then drill the head off of the screw. That should leave the stump of the screw sticking out of the arch. When you put the new pipe in place you can hook it on to the stumps and it should stay in place OK.

Project205

I really enjoyed GLPoomobile's post, in fact I laughed out loud here in the office, everyone stared at me and said, 'share the joke' to which I replied, 'you simply wouldn't understand'. Boring office types!

Tom Fenton

My top tip is to get a PROPER PH3 screwdriver. This will then fit the screws into the chassis rail PROPERLY and give you a fighting chance. I recently replaced the metal pipe on my 1990 137k mile 205, and all the screws for both the plastic cover, and the metal water pipe, undid OK from the chassis rail with an aforementioned big FO screwdriver.

Pugnut
Oh guys you make the job seem so tech!!!

Every single job I do on my car I find bolts that are rusted up... So I kinda expect that. Ive got some cable ties standing by...

What Im actually expecting is that the bolts that hold the rusted old pipe on arent going to move...Ive got WD40 on them atm.

Ok I need some new jubilee clips....

its always best to state the worst case.

i'de rather someone reposted " it was much easier than i though" than " what a barsteward i have no car for work and i lost my job . it's all you're fault"

take the wheel off, unbolt the wheelarch liner, undo the 2 bolts securing the pipe to the inner wing, undo the 2 jubilee clips, repeat in reverse then fill and bleed cooling system :rolleyes:

like this for example. if it were a 2 year old 205 then you could post this, but we're dealing with 20 year old cars here and unless you have a garage brimming with grinders, taps and dies, welder etc etc you could easily end up without a car . No offence to welshpug , as the reply is technically correct.

Al

GLPoomobile
My top tip is to get a PROPER PH3 screwdriver.

I remain adament (or is that Adam Ant? Staaaaaand and deeeelivorrrrr, your money or your life! Ba budda bah budda bah HUH!) that no screwdriver on this planet would remove the ones I've had to drill out previously. But it's food for thought :rolleyes:

jshep205gti

Thanks for ALL replies.

Ok, so the job is finished... no more leaking. Every single bolt was a NIGHTMARE..... so I simply didnt replace the metal pipe. I'll wait for it for leak I suppose and then have to drill out all the holes. Im happy at the mo.

GLP.... you know your Pugs man. One of the bolt heads for the metal pipe had already been snapped of.... and it was just hanging on the stup thats left!!

Hmm, Im really not looking forward to that pipe giving way...

But hey the sun is out and my tyres have loads of tread to use up....

Cheers

Quick question: I want to take the dipstick out. I mean the actual tube for the dipstick which goes into the block. How many bolts am I looking for so this can come out???!?! Just the one?!?

THANK YOU!

tri_longer

I'm about to replace my pipe and i'm ok with all of the removal and refitting bleeding etc, what i am unsure of is what do you do with the waste coolant?

jshep205gti

Collect it in a washing-up bowl thingy and just chuck it over ya compose.... or similar!! And rinse it out afterward.

GLPoomobile

Drink it. It's nice and sweet :rolleyes:

(I will not be held accountable for anyone stupid enough to take this reply seriously)

tri_longer
Collect it in a washing-up bowl thingy and just chuck it over ya compose.... or similar!! And rinse it out afterward.

seriously?

tri_longer
flush it down the toilet... don't pour it away outside or put it in a normal drain.

http://www.wasteaware.org.uk/db/material.cfm?id=54

and don't drink it, you will die.

Thanks for that Jack, I had no idea that there were different types of drains. Usuefully they have a postcode search for your nearest dispoal site, sadly nothing near Warrington. Down the bog it is then

jord294
Quick question: I want to take the dipstick out. I mean the actual tube for the dipstick which goes into the block. How many bolts am I looking for so this can come out???!?! Just the one?!?

THANK YOU!

there is just the one bolt

to do the job properly though, the exhaust manifold has to come off.

it's because there's a good 4 or 5 inches that sit inside the block, and if you try and bend the tube past the manifold, chances are it will snap :)

Edited by jord294

Phil H

I changed my metal hose today, expected the worst and the screws came undone easy. Do agree with the comment about a tight fitting big screwdriver.

sutol
Thanks for that Jack, I had no idea that there were different types of drains. Usuefully they have a postcode search for your nearest dispoal site, sadly nothing near Warrington. Down the bog it is then

All the drains go into the sewer system round here :)

Chuck it on the path, it discourages weeds or if you really want to be green then boil it up until the pan is dry, don't know where it goes but no longer your problem :lol:

jackherer
or if you really want to be green then boil it up until the pan is dry,

If you do that indoors you will be inhaling anti freeze vapour.

don't know where it goes but no longer your problem :lol:

If you breath the vapour it will end up in your liver where it will be very much your problem.

GLPoomobile

I've just ordered a BBM coolant hose set so I might as well get a new metal pipe too and do this in the next few weeks. Oh I can't wait!! :lol:

So where should I get one of these wonderful big bastard screwdrivers? What am I looking for?

M_R_205

DSCN1850-1.jpg

Do i even need to say anything?

Oh actualy i do, see all that bubling paintwork, that was rust stuck to paint, a little probing with a screwdriver left me with a 5x3inch hole, where shall i atach my water pipe to now i wonder....

Edited by M_R_205

ifcho

Instead of using the metal pipe I just used a rubber pipe from TU 205 - goes from the radiator, directly to the block. Just needs some trimming on one end to fit :lol:

tri_longer
Instead of using the metal pipe I just used a rubber pipe from TU 205 - goes from the radiator, directly to the block. Just needs some trimming on one end to fit :lol:

We did the same with our race car, the metal pipe was on it's way out so we just bought a length of flexi silicone and bypassed the pipe altogether.

Sign in to follow this