• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simes

Cutting Out Whilst Engine Running

Simes

Hi,

Recently I've had the experience of the engine cutting out whilst driving along - it simply stopped running although all electrics remained on. I basically bump started it at 35mph and it came back to life.

Last night it reminded me of this problem as I was 6 miles away from home after a 1000 mile 4 day around France road trip. It did it three times in the space of 20 seconds the last time it took me about 40 seconds to restart. :wacko:

I can see this being an immobiliser issue, does anyone else have any thoughts?

welshpug

tachymetric relay or plug to it playing up is a likely culprit, does the rev counter die when it cuts out?

Simes
tachymetric relay or plug to it playing up is a likely culprit, does the rev counter die when it cuts out?

No, rev counter still works.

Tommer

I reckon tachymetric relay too, if not could be coil / dizzy / coil related.

when it dies, what does it sound like? a sudden stop dead, a conk out as if out of fuel or air shortage? a missfire then die? alot can be determined from the way it dies.

Miles

Not wanting to stop people giving advise but the Mi16 does not have a 'tachymetric relay' or Dizzy,

It's worth checking the Fuel pump and ECU relay as I;ve found once a loose crimp in the housing, but it's odd why it re-starts, well I say odd but not for getting you back home but a mare to fault find

welshpug

DOH!!! no mention of an Mi was given lol.

jackherer
DOH!!! no mention of an Mi was given lol.

Always check the sig :angry:

TDC sensor is another possibility but Miles is spot on with the relay wiring, especially if they haven't been secured properly when it was converted, the wires can bend and fatigue as well as the usual corrosion.

Simes
Not wanting to stop people giving advise but the Mi16 does not have a 'tachymetric relay' or Dizzy,

I was waiting for someone to point that out! :angry:

EDIT: Perhaps I should add that when it cuts out it seems to be electrical. The radio switches off albeit for about 1 second and the immobiliser bleeps at me constantly (this is similar to when the ignition is switched off) until the engine fires again.

It's so infrequent it's a bloody pain to replicate the fault.

Edited by Simes

jackherer
EDIT: Perhaps I should add that when it cuts out it seems to be electrical. The radio switches off albeit for about 1 second and the immobiliser bleeps at me constantly (this is similar to when the ignition is switched off) until the engine fires again.

That sounds remarkably familiar, I spent a long time trying to get to the bottom of something similar with mine and after swapping the entire engine management system (including loom!) the starter motor caught fire while turning over which I initially thought was coincidental but when I replaced it the engine ran fine and didn't cut out. I can only assume that the windings were breaking down and shorting internally which was putting a massive current drain on the alt/battery. The odd thing was the starter worked fine, it turned the engine over with no problems at all.

Have you checked the battery voltage while running recently?

Simes
Have you checked the battery voltage while running recently?

Yes, 13.4V.

I think it is immobiliser related, as on the final restart I managed to drive home as normal but with the immobiliser flashing at me which isn't normal. Before that though I'm going to try out the things both you and Miles have suggested, meanwhile any other suggestions are welcome.

I wasn't really thinking about trouble shooting at the time it all happenend I wish I had.

Long shot but could the crank angle sensor have anything to do with it?

I've got an annoying missfire every now and then (2700 - 3200 rpm) distributor cap, arm, plugs, coil and ignition amp all replaced - leads to do next, after that I was going to replace the CAS. Could this be breaking down?

jackherer

Yes absolutely, TDC and CAS sensor are the same thing :)

chrisj21

Hi Simes. just a thought but do you have the original pug immobiliser with the little fob you push into the socket under the air vent?

If so this is as mine is, there is a fuse in the loom behind the vent near the ecu, if you take it out it disable the immobiliser but the engine still runs (on mine anyway :rolleyes: )

ive always wondered if this is supposed to be like it is?

anyway if the immobiliser is dissabled you could take it out for a run and see if your problem is still there. if not it could be your immob.

hope this is of some help.

cheers

Sign in to follow this