• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
alternative

Hi Speed Shocks

alternative

Have just fitted Challenge (Gp N) shocks all round to my CTi.

Great at ten-tenths down a rutted lane at high speed, fantasticly good in fact.

But a bit joggly at low speed on the road. Anyone know if the gas pressure can be reduced?

Or anyone interested in a set of these ultimate shocks (cost £400 only done 25miles)?

tom_m

the gas pressure has nothing to do with the damping, its there to maintain constant pressure in the oil as it heats up and prevents cavitation and foaming, which reduces the performance of the damper.

its the valving that defines how the shock performs.

leave them on for a bit and see if you get used to them :angry:

saveloy

As Tom says, be patient and give them a few hundred miles, at least. The low speed ride quality is probably the most impressive aspect to their performance. Especially given their high speed excellence. 'So stiff, yet so comfy'. They are excellent all round once they've settled in.

You won't find another performance shock absorber that is as pliant as the Bilstein.

alternative

Well, yes, thanks for telling me what the gas pressure does - thats why I bought them!

However, with standard road springs at low speeds the gas pressure is effectively a springing medium of its own although in the opposite direction and reduces suspension movement. When you go fast over bumps the pressure against the gas is more evenly balanced and the ride improves.

What I am not clear about is why this should settle down with use and why this would be - or whether everybody just gets used to the ride!.

Miles

You shouldn't use std springs with them as I'm sure the damper rod is shorter much like the Sprintline's, You need to use a suitable lowered spring like the Eibach's

tom_m
Well, yes, thanks for telling me what the gas pressure does - thats why I bought them!

ahh sarcasm, the lowest form of wit. if you knew what they were going to be like don't complain about them :)

Jrod

I thought the challenge spec ones were for standard ride height? I'm running mine at a standard height, albeit with stiffer springs.

saveloy
I thought the challenge spec ones were for standard ride height? I'm running mine at a standard height, albeit with stiffer springs.

No, they are for shortened springs.

alternative, I don't believe your evaluation is correct. the damping is pretty much a result of the valveing. The gas is simply there to keep the oil viscosity as constant as possible, in order to keep their performance as constant as possible.

Given that you are using the wrong springs, plus the fact that your CTI is more wobbly than a GTI, the ride was never going to be great.

The BilliesI are probably the best riding performance shocks available. If you aren't happy now, I suggest you try an alternative.

Jrod

I thought the sprintlines were for lowering? The whole point of the challege ones being for the 205 challenge thus retaining ride height for rallying... :)

Rippthrough
No, they are for shortened springs.

alternative, I don't believe your evaluation is correct. the damping is pretty much a result of the valveing. The gas is simply there to keep the oil viscosity as constant as possible, in order to keep their performance as constant as possible.

Given that you are using the wrong springs, plus the fact that your CTI is more wobbly than a GTI, the ride was never going to be great.

The BilliesI are probably the best riding performance shocks available. If you aren't happy now, I suggest you try an alternative.

The gas will, and does, affect spring rate, most noticable over large, low speed bumps where a lot of suspension travel is occuring, as the pressure in the gas alters significantly because of the volume changes.

It's fairly common for most cars suspended on monotubes to feel a little fidgity on the ride around town.

Edited by Rippthrough

saveloy

OK, I'm with you Ripp.

Mine are tarmac Challenge Spec. Hence the use of lowered springs.

I love mine. Alot. And then some more.

Edited by saveloy

GLPoomobile

Saveloy - what springs are you using? Eibach 7001 by any chance? And is yours used on the road?

Miles gave me a very good quote on Billie B8s with Eibachs, which I will probably go for later in the year, but I also keep hearing wonderful things about the Billie Challenge Spec and Grp N dampers, so wondering if it's worth going for them instead - depending on price and suitability for a 100% road car.

saveloy

Yep, I use the Eibach springs. And it is mainly a road car.

Previously, I had Eibachs along with my Koni dampers, which I found to be very good indeed.

But the Billies are a different world. Where the Konis performed when pressing on, they were very jiggly around time and did tend to crrash into ruts.

The Billies, on the other hand, are stiffer (they feel much stiffer) yet they ride so much better than the Konis. They react far quicker than the Konis and they don't tend to crash into holes. They are a revelation actually.

If I knew how good they were years ago I would have bought them to start with.

Miles supplied mine and at a very nice price. Do it. You won't regret it. :rolleyes:

number2301

Of the less than 10 miles I've done on my Challenge spec/Eibach setup from Miles I can already tell they're well worth every penny. Definately firm but not crashy and brilliantly tight.

Batfink
The gas will, and does, affect spring rate, most noticable over large, low speed bumps where a lot of suspension travel is occuring, as the pressure in the gas alters significantly because of the volume changes.

It's fairly common for most cars suspended on monotubes to feel a little fidgity on the ride around town.

I'll go with that. My BMW runs monotube Billies and at slow speeds is when the ride quality is worse, try those nasty plastic speed bumps for pain lol

But once the car has a bit of speed the ride is second to none

Sandy

I've been banging on about these Challenge spec dampers since I first fitted them about 4 years ago. There was some confusion about the difference between these and the other monotube Bilsteins for the 205 on this forum when I first posted about them, but I think we're all clear now!

The low speed ride is possibly a bit down to the extra friction or "stiction" on the fronts. A strut brace can improve it a bit by reducing the spring reaction in the front inner wings.

jackherer

Haven't you got a Citroen XM for when you want comfort? :angry:

tom_m
Miles gave me a very good quote on Billie B8s with Eibachs.

Bilstein don't make B8s for the 205. the range stops at B6, above that its the 'challenge' spec from the motorsport catalogue (tho i don't doubt the 'challenge' spec is equivalent to the b8 range)

GLPoomobile

The last PM I had from Miles said that the B6 is the normal length shock for use with standard springs and the B8 is the equivilent shock with a shorter stroke for use with lowered springs (since I specifically asked for a quote on a package inc Eibach springs). Perhaps what he has quoted me IS for the Challenge spec shocks. I dunno, he'd have to confirm that.

saveloy

Get the part numbers up mate, and I can confirm if they are Challenge tarmac spec.

Jrod

1038's are challenge rears iirc?

Edited by Jrod

Miles

B2; Oil Damper

B4; Streetline

B6; Sprintline

B8; Sprintline with short damper rod

V36-0547 @ 548 Group 'N' Front's

B46- 1048 Group 'N' Rears

VE3-62380 & 81 Group 'A' front's

B46-2313 Group 'A' rears

Not sure on the availablity of the Group 'A' one's if at all now

Jrod

Miles, I thought 1038's were rears or is that just a typo? (as 1048 brings up nothing on the bilstein site)

Edited by Jrod

Miles

opps, keyboard's playing up again and well spotted it is 1038

Jrod

and can you confirm if these are for standard height or lowered? If lowered how much by?

Sign in to follow this