• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

Question About The L-shaped Bracket Bolt.

macaroni

I've just fitted some bronze bushes to the L-shaped bracket, and it appears that if I tighten the bolt up, the gear shift mechanism seizes up.

This isn't a big problem as I can leave it a little bit loose, but my fear is that the bolt will eventually come undone.

Have I done something wrong, or is this a common thing with bronze bushes?

One more question, is the gear lever removable from inside the car?

Any help gratefully received.

Antony

Baz

Yes you should be able to do the bolt all the way up and it'll still move, as the bolt only goes up a certain amount as it's collared iirc. Play about with how many washers you're using aswell etc.

tri_longer
One more question, is the gear lever removable from inside the car?

Any help gratefully received.

Antony

Yes it is. did it recently to replace the gear lever with a Constella quick shift version.

GLPoomobile

When you put the bolt for the bracket on, between the head of the bolt and the bush in the bracket (the bronze bush in your case) you should have 2 washers. The top washer of those 2 should be about half as thin as the first and has a curved profile so it does not sit flat. This acts like a spring and takes up the free play. Without that washer the bracket would have approx 1mm of vertical free play (I'm guessing this is why people talk about packing the bolt out with washers when they have a loose bracket, probably this washer has been left out during previous maintenance).

If you have this spring washer in place you'll have no vertical play but the bracket should still move freely on the subframe.

Miles

It's a crap idea, This should kickstart me into getting mine made up and for sale soon which uses a steel insert (Tube) and means zero play and a nice swivel joint

GLPoomobile
It's a crap idea

I now find myself in complete agreement with you Miles!!! :blush:

Macaroni, I'm having the same problem as you :) I've got my spare subframe on the floor, all cleaned up and painted. I've got an L bracket that I've modified with one of Miles' balljoints moved in 15mm on the short arm, the bracket's all cleaned up and painted red and I've fitted AB Motorsports copper bushes.

When I replied to this topic last night I'd only done it up hand tight and it seemed OK. Now I've done the bolt up fully and the bracket won't move :mellow: I've tried different combos with the washers (servicebox shows a washer under the bracket, a washer above the bracket and then the flexible washer) and none of them works. Even without any washers the bolt still pulls down tight enough on the bracket to stop it moving. The problem obviously must be that the copper washers have a slightly thicker profile than the OE ones so holding the bracket higher and taking away the play that you'd have in the original setup if you fitted it with no washers. This is no good :)

The only thing I can think of doing is to fit the bolt back slightly loose inc the flexible washer, to the bracket can still rotate, but use plenty of threadlock on the bolt to stop it coming undone. Or I could try and find a suitable size washer to put on the bolt to effectively make the shouldered section longer.

f***ing load of crap.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Tom Fenton

I had this when I fitted some new bushes a while ago, solution was to lightly dress the top surface with a file until the bellcrank would rotate nicely with the bolt fully tightened down onto its shoulder.

GTI6BOY

^^^^^^Thats correct

If you read the instructions it says you need to file this down as all brackets will slightly differ to how old and worn they are

GLPoomobile

I didn't have any instructions with the bronze bushes. The thing is, I think I'd need to file them down a fair bit.

macaroni

I've fitted mine and just tightened up the bolt to where I like it best, same for the gear lever bushes.

You are supposed to file them until you can tighten the bolt up and still have movement, but to be honest, I couldn't really be arsed.

M_R_205
but use plenty of threadlock on the bolt to stop it coming undone

i did this with mine with devastating consequences!! it came loose and the arm fell off, on a roundabout, in rush hour traffic!! ( i had to risk life and limb running out to retrive the bolt and re fit at the side of the road burning the hell out of my arm on the exh manifold :angry:

As said above trim the washer down slightly with a file (or lathe ;) ) it is crap but since i re-fitted it there is no play and lots of nice free love ( i mean movment...)

Edited by M_R_205

GLPoomobile

That's what I was worried about!

I'll buy a file and give it a go.

GLPoomobile

Well that was a boring job!

Spent bloomin ages filing away (it's amazing how slowly the metal comes away with a hand file :angry: ). I've taking a little bit off of both the metal collars on either side of the bracket itself, and also filed down the bronze bush collars slightly.

I've now got just enough, and I mean JUST enough clearance for the bolt to tighten down and still let the bracket move freely.

But that's with no washers fitted. Will that be OK?

JayCC

I have this exact problem but with standard pug plastic washers. I have to leave the bolt a little loose or i cannot move the gear stick.

Sign in to follow this