• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oilman

Oil Advice And Recommendations Here

oilman

I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make

Model

Year

Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards

Guy

NeilGTi85

Hello Oilman,

I've got a ('L' reg 95) 2L 405 Mi16 block (80K) in my 205, I'm currently using Castrol Magnatex 10w40. It seem'd to be fine when it was winter but as summer is approaching and the temp gauge is rising a little when stuck in traffic I'm a little concerned.

Also, since reading alot of post's about oil surge's on 205's....i did a test run round some tight bends with some speed and noticed the drop on my guage (My pump and sump is standard)

Is there an oil which would be better suited to the warm weather and also to protect the engine abit more when/if it surge's?

My 205 is pretty much standard except the usual mods and is a road only car apart from afew sprints etc....but I do like the old country lane :rolleyes:

Cheers

Neil

Ryan

I'm currently using generic 10W40 semi-synth in my 205 Mi16. It's used for a lot of short journeys though. Would I be better off switching to a different grade for better cold-start protection?

jord294

hello oilman

i am at present, fully rebuilding an engine for my 205 gti

is there a certain oil i should use on a, basically new engine?

it's the 1.9 xu9

thanks

swordfish210

Hi, as per your original post:

Peugoet

1360cc TU3-A engine

284 cam with 11.4mm lift. Ported and gas flowed head, rebuilt but i used the original bearings, rings liners ect and i'm running bike carbs

Used as a daily driver and on track.

I'm using Castrol Magnatec 10w/40 at the moment and the oil runs at about 80 on the road and 100 on track

Engine and Gearbox please.

Thanks. Mark

Rom

Hi

Ive got the following

89 205 Gti, Rebuilt 1.9 Mi16.

No major engine work, bar balancing etc

Totally road use, though id like that to change :D

Ive been using Mobil 1 fully syn 0w 40. But have swapped to (what i think is) Castrol Magnatec 10w 40w (Its repackaged for Toyota, and i liberate it! Ill try and confirm) As ive been told that an engine of my design doesnt have good enough tolerances to use 0w 40 fully syn. IE scraper rings wont clear oil well enough etc,even if it is rebuilt. As it wasnt designed for that kind of oil.

It runs fine on the fully syn,im just worried ill do more harm than good.

As for gear oil, ive been using the stuff we put in Toyotas, fully syn 75 90 i thikn it is. Again, id have to confirm branding as its repackaged.

Many Thanks

Anulfo

surely the 1.9gti 8valve is best with a good quality 10w/40 semi synthetic???Thats what use in my sprint car and always have.

craig f90

hello guy,

my engine is:

peugeot 406 sri

96 'p'

2.0 turbo petrol

xu10 cte

Its a road car.

Thankyou. :)

Edited by craig f90

swordfish210

Peugoet

1360cc TU3-A engine

284 cam with 11.4mm lift. Ported and gas flowed head, rebuilt but i used the original bearings, rings liners ect and i'm running bike carbs

I'm using Castrol Magnatec 10w/40 at the moment and the oil runs at about 80 on the road and 100 on track

Thanks. Mark

Thought i'd better add that it's covered 152,000 miles if that makes any difference to you and the gearbox has covered about 60,000

DamirGTI

Hello !

Peugeot

205 GTI

XU9JA D6B 1905ccm

Engine is modified and rebuilt last year - gas flowed head , compression ratio 11.1 (CR raised with different set of pistons) , 405 SRi gearbox etc.

Daily driver (road car)

Oil temp - average 110C , maxi 130C

Im interested in engine oil recommendation :) I've been using 10w-40 multigrade oil in the past (Total or Shell 10w-40)

Thanks ! :(

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Peugoet

1.9 Mi16

Piper camswith, Head work, 45 Carbs, its been rebuilt and needs running in.

The 1.6 Be3 gearbox has also been rebuilt.

Used as a daily drive.

I need to know both Engine and Gearbox please.

swordfish210

did anyone hear anything more on this? :D

NeilGTi85

Nope ;):D:huh:

CaptainK

They've probably been busy organising and going to Japfest over the weekend. I got my oil from them there as I had my FTO go on the track there at Castle Coombe. :D

• Like 1

swordfish210

slightly off topic but what did you think of Castle Combe, how does it compare to other curcuits you may have been on?

CaptainK
slightly off topic but what did you think of Castle Combe, how does it compare to other curcuits you may have been on?

I really enjoyed Castle Coombe. Nice mix of slight cornered main straight foot to floor action and some wiggly action around the back part of the course. Didn't like the chicane where the exit corner edge has a dip on the inside "red and white" marked track section. Thats the racing line I believe, but it also means the dip causes you to lose traction for a split second on your passenger side wheel as you go over it.

Can't compare it to any other tracks as previously I've only done one lap of the Nurburgring and that was done fairly easy as I needed my car to be working for the rest of the week as we (FTO owners club) were touring around europe.

swordfish210

Imagine how fast it would have been if the chicanes wern't there though like it used to be :blush:

CaptainK
Imagine how fast it would have been if the chicanes wern't there though like it used to be ;)

I love the corners and accelerating out of them. Tis the only way to catch up / overtake some people when you are in a track session with cars that are almost identical. ;)

oilman
Hello Oilman,

I've got a ('L' reg 95) 2L 405 Mi16 block (80K) in my 205, I'm currently using Castrol Magnatex 10w40. It seem'd to be fine when it was winter but as summer is approaching and the temp gauge is rising a little when stuck in traffic I'm a little concerned.

Also, since reading alot of post's about oil surge's on 205's....i did a test run round some tight bends with some speed and noticed the drop on my guage (My pump and sump is standard)

Is there an oil which would be better suited to the warm weather and also to protect the engine abit more when/if it surge's?

My 205 is pretty much standard except the usual mods and is a road only car apart from afew sprints etc....but I do like the old country lane :P

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

Sorry for the late reply, its seems I did not have notification of the thread... All sorted now!

Anyway for the MI16 a good 5w-40 synthetic is ideal and much much better then the mineral Castrol. Synthetics are better dissapating heat so it will keep the engine slightly cooler.

Have a look at these 5w-40 oils, if you want the best then look at the ester based Silkolene pro S and the Motul 300v.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Guy.

oilman
I'm currently using generic 10W40 semi-synth in my 205 Mi16. It's used for a lot of short journeys though. Would I be better off switching to a different grade for better cold-start protection?

Yes you would mate, have a look at a 5w-40 synthetic.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman
hello oilman

i am at present, fully rebuilding an engine for my 205 gti

is there a certain oil i should use on a, basically new engine?

it's the 1.9 xu9

thanks

If the engine needs running in then you will need a mineral based oil to do so, a good 10w-40 semi is ideal.

Once run in if you want better quality then look at 5w-40 synthetic.

Cheers

Guy.

jimistdt

Hello Oilman,

205 STDT 1.8 TD 1769cc (1994)

Used on the road.

Currently I am using a mineral 15w-40

Is this a good match?

Thanks Jimi.

oilman

Peugoet

1360cc TU3-A engine

Thanks. Mark

Mark,

The Magantec is fine for normal road use but is really not up to the job of track work.

I would look at a 5w-40 synthetic, ideal for fast road and track.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman
Hi

Ive got the following

89 205 Gti, Rebuilt 1.9 Mi16.

No major engine work, bar balancing etc

Totally road use, though id like that to change :P

Ive been using Mobil 1 fully syn 0w 40. But have swapped to (what i think is) Castrol Magnatec 10w 40w (Its repackaged for Toyota, and i liberate it! Ill try and confirm) As ive been told that an engine of my design doesnt have good enough tolerances to use 0w 40 fully syn. IE scraper rings wont clear oil well enough etc,even if it is rebuilt. As it wasnt designed for that kind of oil.

It runs fine on the fully syn,im just worried ill do more harm than good.

As for gear oil, ive been using the stuff we put in Toyotas, fully syn 75 90 i thikn it is. Again, id have to confirm branding as its repackaged.

Many Thanks

Hi,

The Mobil 1 0w-40 is a good quality synthetic, much much better then the Mangatec. The 0w-40 is not too thin. When nhot a SAE40 is an SAE40 so MAgnatec and Mobil 1 0w-40 are both the same viscosity when hot.

The Toyota 75w-90 is fine, I assume you can get it cheap or something?

Cheers

Guy.

oilman
hello guy,

my engine is:

peugeot 406 sri

96 'p'

2.0 turbo petrol

xu10 cte

Its a road car.

Thankyou. :P

Is it modified?