• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garry

GTI 6 Supercharged Won't Fire Up!

Garry

Ok, I need some help here. The car won't fire up.

I have fuel pumps working

Spark in the spark plugs

I have put a multi meter on the injector feed and get a pulse

Starter motor is turning

There is a pulse/pressure coming from the exhaust

I have tried adding power by boosting the battery with my BMW 530

but it won't fire up!

Help!

DrSarty

Been there; hurts dunnit?

Someone recently had the fuel supply & return the wrong way round; could that be a poss?

welshpug

Which ECU/management?

just re-read, GTI6 re-mapped to suit 440cc injectors.

got spark and injection pulse so it must be fuel pressure (airlocks?) or regulation issue (CTS or Lambda)

Edited by welshpug

Garry

Thanks,

Is there a method for priming the fuel system? I thought it would self prime, ie reach pressure, the regulator opens then it goes back to the swirl pot.

I will try diconnecting the CTS and Lambda.

welshpug

not in the standard setup no, as its fairly well laid out, i.e nowhere for air to sit, but I don't know how yours is laid out.

Many fuel systems I've worked on have had a bleed point on the fuel rail.

Super Josh
got spark and injection pulse so it must be fuel pressure (airlocks?) or regulation issue (CTS or Lambda)

If Garry's engine has fuel and spark, then it can't be CTS then, can it WP? :rolleyes:

Josh

welshpug

Why not?!? Coolant Temp Sensor!

Edited by welshpug

Super Josh
Why not?!? Coolant Temp Sensor!

Ooh, my bad :) Helps if I read your post properly :):rolleyes:

Josh

Garry

Again, thaanks for your input guys.

After several hours fiddling I have:

4 sparks

I have two working fuel pumps

The swirl pot is full (I filled it manually with the tank pump hard wired to run)

I have checked the sensor wiring and everything is plugged in

My thoughts now are it may be the injectors or the ECU.

Am I right in thinking that the fuel rail should self prime? If not how do I do it? How do I check the injectors are firing? I take it you don't hold them in the air and look for spray?

welshpug

If you have spark then you will have injector pulse (barring a break in the wires) having a spark rules out TDC sensor too.

Fuel rail should be primed as soon as the fuel pump fires up, which would be on position 2 of the key along with the injectors and coil packs.

as for checking the fuel rail, yes you can do just that, unbolt the fuel rail but leave the injectors clipped in, point each injector into a clear jar and turn the key, if you can only find one jar then unplug the other 3 injectors.

Edited by welshpug

base-1

Whats the ignition arrangement on the GTi6? i.e. could there be spark, but at the wrong time?

welshpug

sequential spark Via individual Coil packs, Crank sensor and Cam sensor, and you cant really put the loom plugs on the wrong pack.

working backwards, it ran before the engine came out, the only thing changed is the injectors, MAP sensor?, Remapped ECU, and fuel pumps.

Garry

Correct Welshpug, but the MAP sensor is the same.

I am about to check the injectors.

smighall

I'd still make sure the CAM sensor is plugged in properly as it's a relatively common fault with cars being very difficult to start when this fails/disconnected.

But as said, if you have spark and air it can only really be fuel i guess.

Garry

I have loosened the fuel rail and all of the injectors were wet, so they are firing and fuel is getting through. I haven't got enough room to lift it completely out.

I have checked the sensors with a multi meter and they are getting power.

I have tried starting with the boost pipes off, so it is like an N/A car, but still no luck.

The only things I can think of are:

The ECU, although I am getting spark and fuel, maybe its too much or too little?

The alarm/ immobiliser, again if this was playing up I wouldn't be getting spark or fuel.

Completly lost now :mellow:

smighall

Only other thing i can think of, is making sure the pumps are running and injectors are getting power whilst cranking, not just with ignition on.

cybernck

maybe the engine is just flooded with fuel?

i suggest you take the spark plugs out and check what's going on.

Garry

Any tips on how to get rid of the fuel? You are right, it is most likely flooded now!

smighall

Take the plugs out and leave it a while :angry:

Hope you get it sorted soon though :mellow:

Garry

Thanks Smighall, do I need to run it or smething? Where does the fuel go?

smighall

The fuel should just evaporate with the plugs out. It'll also give the plugs a chance to dry out too.

Actually, that'd be a good check to see if the plugs are soaked, that'll tell you if it's been getting fuel properly.

Garry

Would you expect them to be wet? When I took them out earlier they seemed pretty dry :unsure:

smighall

That makes me think you're not getting fuel whilst cranking!

Where did you take the 12v from for the 2nd pump?

Garry

I Have a relay running the 2nd pump. I have a live feed from the battery to the relay then to the pumps positive, I then have a wire from the tank pumps +ve to act as the trigger to turn the pump on. They run at the same time.

I am just going to nip out and disconnect the inlet fuel pipe from the rail and then turn it over to make sure, although I think i checked that earlier.

smighall

It really does sound to me like it's not injecting fuel when cranking, so if you get fuel out the pipe, make sure the injectors are squirting too by doing what WP said earlier, that is if you haven't already done that and checked it when cranking.

Sign in to follow this