• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dean

Painting Engine

dean

has any one painted there engine bloke if so how did you go about doing it did you strip the old paint off or not and also what paint did you use

Rom

Hi

Ive painted a few blocks, normally there unpainted to start with. I use stuff from Frosts. Metal Ready, mild sort of acid etch to clean and help paint work with ally. Then paint with POR engine paint.

I think a lot of people have used other paints, and in general, the block shouldnt get hot enough to need heat proof paint. But i use it none the less.

dean

do you have any pic of any of the engines you have painted

Rom

Yeah sure...

post-7946-1208893304_thumb.jpg

post-7946-1208893261_thumb.jpg

Edited by RKKRom

mafo

Another vote for Por 15! I have painted my engine with Silver engine enamel from Por 15 - had the block degreased, bead blasted, then cleaned then painted twice. Very happy with the results.

joe1joe

may be worth getting it blasted as i spent hours with a wire wheel, make sure u etch it if it ally, not worth not using heat resistant paint.

Baz

Cleaned mine up with a mixture of petrol/diesel, Gunk, truckwash, acid, head & shoulders, then painted it with VHT.

allanallen
head & shoulders.

good work :wacko:

Baz
good work <_<

Keeps those pesky flakes away. :wacko:

Dan Ingram

I cleaned mine with thinners and a wire brush in a drill. Then painted it with Hammerite. That block doesn't get hot enough to need high temp paint.

notamondayfan

so what paint would you guys recomend? this Por 15? what is it and where can i buy it from?

Dan Ingram

Hammerite :)

ALEX

I've painted a couple of engines, I made sure the blocks were spotless too, but they still flaked off after a few months.

I'd get it vapour (glass bead) blasted, thats your best option, It's not very expensive, and the finish is as new.

And it stays looking good a lot longer than any paint will.

Edited by ALEX

Rom

I got my paints from Frosts. Its not the cheapest, but quality never is.

My engine will have been painted for 2 years in september. Its been in, out, and back in in that time. Still looks good. Its obviously a bit grubbier, as no matter how hard you try you cant get all the dirt !.

I use a very nasty brake cleaner on it with no problems.

Sign in to follow this