• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

1.6 Gti Engine Bay Relay & Resistor.

Cameron

Hello, Im just about to start making a new loom for my 205 project but have come across a bit of a problem. The relay and headlight resistor seem to be wired up in a really awkward way and I can't seem to get my head round why its wired up the way it is.

So, a couple of questions..

What is the resistor for, sidelights or dipped beam?

What is the relay for?

This is what I've managed to work out from the wiring, but it doesn't seem quite right.

Relay pin 1 (coil) connects to +12V via a diode then through the fusebox.

Relay pin 2 (coil)connects to the main beam circuit.

Relay pin 3 (switched) connects to the side light circuit.

Relay pin 5 (switched) connects to the resistor pin 2.

Resistor pin 1 is connected to the dipped beam circuit.

The thing that confuses me is that the relay's coil doesn't seem to have a -ve, just 2 +ve, 1 from the fusebox and 1 from the main beam switch.

Can anyone shed any light?

Ps, its a P1.5 1.6 GTI, this relay is in the engine bay next to the expansion tank.

Would I be better off just ignoring the way Peugeot have wired it and start again?

Thanks.

welshpug

its a system called "dim dip"

when you turn the sidelights on the dipped beam is powered at 20% power via the resistor, switch to dipped and the power goes direct from the relay.

Cameron

Hmm, that might be where Im getting confused. I thought that the sidelights were dealt with by the small bulb, and the dipped beam and main beam were 2 seperate filaments in the large (H4?) bulb. Is that wrong then?

welshpug

no you're quite right that the sidelight is the small 5e capless bulb with the H4 dip/main beam, but as mentioned when you turn the sidelights on the dipped beam is powered on at 20%.

its to prevent people from driving about on 10 watts of light, you get about 30w instead.

Cameron

I think I see now.. does only the sidelight bulb light up when you have the car parked, ignition off, then with the ignition on (but only sidelights) the relay is activated and sends power via the resistor to the dipped beam?

welshpug

that's it :P

Cameron

Brilliant :blush: Thanks very much.

Sign in to follow this