• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gerlewislewis

Drivers Door Dropped

gerlewislewis

I have a phase 2 torx type drivers door. and its a struggle to shut it properly. What is my best course of action? - new torx bolts? oversized autofive pins?

Any advice appreciated

I guess new pins would be a good starting point - but would I need to shim the hinge as well?

Ger

welshpug

New pins are about the quid mark (mum bought some 405 ones yesterday and they were £1.01)

IIRC replacement ones may be slightly oversize ;)

gerlewislewis

so youd say go for pins even though I have torx fitment?

welshpug

The torx ones are still doorpins, just a different design.

gerlewislewis

oh right.

so if I get a new set of torx pins do you think that will solve it? or will it likely be the hinges worn?

Super Josh
oh right.

so if I get a new set of torx pins do you think that will solve it? or will it likely be the hinges worn?

I think you'll be fine with new Torx pins, if you've caught it in time. I replaced the roll pins on my phase 1.5 and that was fine.

Josh

gerlewislewis

can someone tell me how to find the part codes for drivers door pins (not the actual codes, but how to look: I gotta learn this!)

Cheers

Ger

gerlewislewis

ok! im struggling makgin head or tale of that even in english! Ive entered my VIN number and nothing happens.

Am i missing something?

welshpug

you'll probably need top disable the popup blocker for that website, then go to free services - spare parts :)

gerlewislewis

9044 31 am i right? j plate. fingers crossed....

hengti

apols if i've missed this or am questioning the obvious; have you tried adjusting the position of the striker bolt in the b-pillar yet? (re. door being difficult to shut)

Atari Boy

Perhaps I am being stupid but I can’t for the life of me find the right section to find the part number for the door pins, I know how to use service box (I thought at least).

Does anyone known the part number for phase 1.5 cars?

gerlewislewis

no hengti, I havent tried that, havent heard of it infact. I assumed pins would be worn.

Any more info?

Pugnut

you can adjust the striker very easily to make the door shut better, but you'll notice if your pins are worn you're door/trim wont line up when the door is shut . this makes even the best 205 look like a shed .

i put new pins in my drivers door last week . the hole in the hinge was pretty worn . i used a piece of an old SMA tin (baby food) as a shim and it worked a treat . absolutely no play in the hinges at all.

gerlewislewis

Did you adjust the striker aswell Pugnut? Where is the striker? I suspect I need new pins as if I try to lift the door it has a bit of play in it (I presume thats a tell tale sign).

Ger

Pugnut

the striker is the pin that the door catch latches onto . it is easily adjusted by either using the torx socket on the end of it or using a set of grips on the outer part (the latter being the easier) . once its loose it will move around a fair bit where you will be able to retighten it in the desired spot .The door should line up . the trim should line up looking along the car and the door should shut flush with the rear quarter panel.

if you're doing the pins i'de recommend removing the door . take the door card off and you'll get into the 4x 13mm head bolt which hold the hinges to the door . Note that there is also a fair bit adjustment in the hinges too, so either mark where they are or dont clean anything so you see where it came of.

with the door off you'll get good access to the hinges. when i did my ph2 hinges it was the hinge pins themselves that wore out and replacing them cured all. the phase 1 roll pins are spring steel and eat the hinges alive. if there is only a little play in the door, chances are a new set of pins will sort you out.

with the door on you'll probably snap a torx bit in the pin and really struggle to get it out as well as damaging the surrounding paintwork . with the door off you can give the pins a good soak with pen oil and get a vice grip onto the head of the pin .

if you're door lines up ok at the moment and the door still lifts slightly when closing it (catching the stiking bolt), then you need new pins and maybe a shim in the hole (especially if its the earlier roll pins)

gerlewislewis

Thanks for the detailed reply, I will order some pins as a first port of call. Is removing the door card much drama?

Pugnut

if you've never done it before then i suggest a haynes manual is probably going to help you more than if i rambled on about it.

welshpug

if the door sits correctly when closed then I wouldn't touch the door striker or the hinges at all, just replace the pins.

I did the same job on my mum's 405 yesterday and its easy to do, all you need is a trolley jack torx bit and a large flat blade screwdriver.

I have some pics uploading which I'll post shortly.

gerlewislewis

cheers guys. I will order some pins first then.

welshpug

here's the photographs as promised;

1) support the door with a trolley jack (intersperse the door and jack with a piece of wood or a thick cloth to prevent damage)

pict0253ay2.th.jpg

2) Douse the pins in your preferred lubricant

pict0256ab2.th.jpg

3) Using T40 Torx bit loosen the door pin

pict0251pw5.th.jpg

pict0257bi1.th.jpg

you'll probably need to lever the pin up out of the hole.

pict0258ai4.th.jpg

4) clean the area with a degreaser and apply a suitable lubricant to your new door pin

pict0254ju6.th.jpg

ignore the part number, these are 405 Items, 205+309 ones are slightly smaller.

pict0255la0.th.jpg

Tap the pin into the hole then tighten with said T40 Torx bit.

enjoy smooth shutting doors :blink:

Edited by welshpug

Bakes100

I also have this problem... is the part number for these definetly 9044 31? thanks

gerlewislewis

cheers for the pics.

Bakes, just ring your pug parts dept. and quote your chassis number, then they will tell you the part num if you ask.

KRISKARRERA
i used a piece of an old SMA tin (baby food) as a shim and it worked a treat .
Must remember that. I replaced mine a while back and although it improved them a bit it's still a bit up and downy.

Sign in to follow this