• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

309 Gti Beam

yorkshirekowboy

hello all,

got a 309 gti beam from a source of riche van gti, and one side has sezied, but by reading on here, if one side is seized, then the tube is most deffo no good. is that always the case? also could the tube not be fixed etc.

also are the 306 beam tubes the same as 309 ones?

ive searched on here found some useful info, but tnothing what answered my question.

thanks all

danny

jord294

a new beam tube will cost just over £300 :o

i bought one about 6 months ago.

it does come with bearings though :)

yorkshirekowboy
a new beam tube will cost just over £300 :o

i bought one about 6 months ago.

it does come with bearings though :o

300 quid.... wow, thats alot of money. if my tube is a goner, ill put the break setup on my 1.6 beam, like use the trialing arms and replace the shafts.

300 quid still in shock :)

base-1

That isn't all that bad really if you think about it. It's 100% beand new, from a dealer with bearings etc, whereas 300 quid will also buy you a recon jobbie from people who do it on here in their spare time.

Alot of money yes, but surprisingly not that bad for something that uncommon from a dealer....

yorkshirekowboy

right got the unsezied arm out, but the other side a differnet story, i knocked on the arm on the seized side on the bit of metal that was made for knock bending it and but got the arm out but not the shaft, so the shaft is stuck in the tube.

so does that mean i have broken my trailing arm if the shaft has come out or have i done my self a favour getting it out as i would need a new one anyhow.??

also if the shaft is stuck in the tube, its it 100% knackard if i manage to get the shaft out? im going to soak it in wd40 as im finding it hard to get hold of plus gas round here, nobody heard of it.

thanks

Alastairh
That isn't all that bad really if you think about it. It's 100% beand new, from a dealer with bearings etc, whereas 300 quid will also buy you a recon jobbie from people who do it on here in their spare time.

Alot of money yes, but surprisingly not that bad for something that uncommon from a dealer....

Agreed.

welshpug

they're normally scrap if the arm shaft is stuck like that, though in theory there wont be any damage to the tube if you do manage to get it out.

yorkshirekowboy
they're normally scrap if the arm shaft is stuck like that, though in theory there wont be any damage to the tube if you do manage to get it out.

yeah nothing a scaffold pole cant sort out, as the the arm minus its shaft, that should be ok shouldnt it, as if its come out surly i could press another one in easy, with out being loose in the arm?

base-1

In theory the tube is more likely to be damaged I'd say if the shaft is stuck fast

yorkshirekowboy
In theory the tube is more likely to be damaged I'd say if the shaft is stuck fast

if i can get the shaft out the tube, cant see why the tube would be damaged?

because the reason its stuck in is that it has worn away the bearing and eaten into the tube

yorkshirekowboy
because the reason its stuck in is that it has worn away the bearing and eaten into the tube

well by reading some older posts, other have came across the same as me and the tube has been ok... only way to find outis to get this shaft out

yorkshirekowboy

are 309 base models like diesel's styles beam tubes the same length and same as the 309 beam tube?

welshpug

yes, the tube is exactly the same, the only one that's different is the 309 GTi16, but we didn't get that in this country

yorkshirekowboy
yes, the tube is exactly the same, the only one that's different is the 309 GTi16, but we didn't get that in this country

you have one going spare? hehehehe :angry:

pug_ham

In all the beams I've ever stripped if the radius arm shaft is stuck in the beam tube & the arm comes off the shaft when you try to seperate them, the centre tube is beyond economical repair.

I've never heard of anyone getting the radius arm shaft out & the centre tube still being worthy of re-using.

£300 only gets the centre tube with bearings & seals etc but no radius arms.

If the radius arm shafts from your old beam are dead you still have another £100+ to get a new beam but that doesn't include torsion bars etc either.

Graham.

yorkshirekowboy
If the radius arm shafts from your old beam are dead you still have another £100+ to get a new beam but that doesn't include torsion bars etc either.

Graham.

if my shaft as comeout of my arm doesthat makeit dead? surly i couldpress a new one in?

pug_ham

The arm should be Ok but you'll need a new shaft.

Graham.

yorkshirekowboy
The arm should be Ok but you'll need a new shaft.

Graham.

sweet, well ill have a go getting this stuck shaft out and inspect it, what signs do i need to look for?

Baz

There really isn't any point in getting it out, it WILL be fubar'd as already said.

pug_ham
sweet, well ill have a go getting this stuck shaft out and inspect it, what signs do i need to look for?

A nice (new? ) shiney replacement one.

Graham.

yorkshirekowboy

had a quick look, but nothing but are the torsion bars and arb on the 309 beam the same lengh like whats on a standard 1.6? only thing is the threads on one of my 309 torsion bars have been damaged, so could they be rethreaded?, also if i ut the 309 arms on the standard 1.6 beam would i gain anything>>

cheers

danny

pug_ham
had a quick look, but nothing but are the torsion bars and arb on the 309 beam the same lengh like whats on a standard 1.6? only thing is the threads on one of my 309 torsion bars have been damaged, so could they be rethreaded?

All 309 beams have the same length central tube & torsion / anti-roll bars but just like on a 205, the thickness of them differs between models. Rethreading the torsion bar could be difficult imo, they are heat treated so the thread will be tough & you could risk snapping a tap if you cross thread them. If just teh end of the thread is damaged you might be able to drill the bar slightly to remove the damage but keep the rest of the thread for use.

also if i ut the 309 arms on the standard 1.6 beam would i gain anything

Apart from the rear discs over drums, no. Toe in & camber etc are the same.

Graham.

yorkshirekowboy
All 309 beams have the same length central tube & torsion / anti-roll bars but just like on a 205, the thickness of them differs between models. Rethreading the torsion bar could be difficult imo, they are heat treated so the thread will be tough & you could risk snapping a tap if you cross thread them. If just teh end of the thread is damaged you might be able to drill the bar slightly to remove the damage but keep the rest of the thread for use.

Apart from the rear discs over drums, no. Toe in & camber etc are the same.

Graham.

so if i leave my stuck torsion bar in and use the arb, and the other torsion bar, it will be a direct replacement then,sorry its just to confirm, if thats so, how is the 309 longer, if the arb, torsion bars are the same?

pug_ham

Where is your torsion bar stuck in?

Getting them out of a radius arm is pretty easy once the offset washer is removed.

Only problem you'll have is setting the ride height the same on both sides if one torsion bar is stuck in the radius arm & the other is free at both ends.

The 309 beam centre tube, torsion & anti-roll bars are all longer than the 205 ones by approx 50mm iirc.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this