• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JonnyB

Kumho Tyres Any Good?

JonnyB

Are Kumho tyres any good? Looking to replace Cooper Avons which seem to have lasted ages!

Mixed reviews of Toyos have made me search for a reasonably priced alternative.

Tyres are 195/50/15

Alastairh

Hedge finders.

MrG

really? On mine (as bought) and have so far done 2 track days with no problems?

Longfield

I think you'll find everyone has an opinion both good and bad... i think the best way to find out is to try it. I've read glowing comments on Kuhmo's Ecsta 1b tyres and others thinking the opposite. The people who've built my car told me that their experience led them to believe Yoko's overheat too easily and that's why they prefer Toyo's on their FWD cars but Dunlops on other vehicles... then those on Yoko's told me the complete opposite... I think [based on my very limited experience] they would be ok, similar to Toyos, but what will make the most difference, is understanding how to set your car's tyres up based on your understanding of how your car is set up...as that will determine wether you need for instance, medium for the front soft at rear, tyre pressures front to rear, side to side etc... once you're familiar with this then you'll understand how to get whatever tyres you have working the best they can for you... I hope this helps!

Bono

I was very impressed with the V70A. I had them on my 306 and the grip was immense.

I've always found Toyos to be pretty crap. My current favourite are Yoko Paradas

chris1986

kumho tyres have really come on well lately, i would consider them to be quite a good choice, stick to the ecsta range though. i have tried michelin pe 2's, goodyear hydra grip, toyo proxes, firestone tz200's and the yoko a539. i would say the michelins or goodyears were the best. as usuall you get what you pay for.

Beastie
kumho tyres have really come on well lately

Yes they have, haven't they? I always used to regard them as a sound budget choice for someone with limited cash to spare who wanted a good value for money tyre. However having recently fitted a set to a BMW M Roadster I was greatly surprised at how good they actually are for the money these days.

M_R_205

I had a set of 4 ecsta`s fitted about a year back, for the money (£50 for 2) they are a bloody great tyre there downfalls are they overheat very easily! (i managed to get them to blister quite badly in the summer) and they are s*it in the wet,

they were replaced with a set of proxy t1s`s which were more expnsive (£45 ea!!) but were fantastic in the wet and didnt overheat :)

Depends how deep your pocket is and how you planning on driving...

Sign in to follow this