• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Longfield

Is It Gearbox Or Clutch That's Gone?

Longfield

Today I had my first test day in my little race car... all excited and happy to try it out. Warned to take it easy as the gearbox, diff, driveshafts etc were all new and it'd be tight to beging with and then loosen up over time... so out I go...

... after 10 laps, I droped into second and the nice mechanical sound from inside the car turned into a sound like a steel box with a heap of bolts being shaken about. So I pulled over. Engine ticked over nicely, no apparent problems there. So I reved it. Again all seemed absolutely fine. So I put it into first to drive on a bit, it goes into gear and when I take my foot off the clutch and go to move on, back comes the steel bucket of bolts... So I get towed into the pits. Talking with fellow competitors they ask me to perform the test again which I did. This time, in first, no problem. For so tried reverse and the problem appears. So we tried first again and the problems affecting first gear again after engaging the gear and going to drive off...

so... is my experience aking to a clutch lunching itself or something worse like a problem with the gearbox?

Richie-Van-GTi

dump the oil, if its the box then the oil will be full of metal.

Sign in to follow this