• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
malyso

Mi16 Sump Issues

malyso

I've just bought a 205 MI16 with a few mods with the intention of using it for on track .. Having read a few posts on oil surge issues i thought it better to investigate and decided to drop the sump off and see if any thing baffleing had been done for me...:)

Unfortunately not, but the oil pick up seems to be very low in the sump and it is a very shallow sump, can anyone identify if i have a non standard sump or oil pick up or are these standard and therefore will I need to baffle it to be safe?

Also looks like the oil temp sensor is naffed too... and further up the block at the rear there is another temp sensor without wiring is the low oil sender?

sumppickup.jpg

sump2.jpg

sump1.jpg

sump.jpg

post-12197-1205968760_thumb.jpg

Baz

That's a std Mi sump.

fiji bob

the sensor on the sump is oil temp, there is a mushroom shaped one on the front of the block for oil pressure

nick

The oil pump pick-up should be as low as possible in the sump anyway.

Nick

C_W

The sump is the same depth as a normal 1.9 tin sump (both use the spacer/stiffener plate above the sump). Are you used to a 1.6 sump? (which is deeper by the thickness of the spacer/stiffener).

d-9

The easiest way to get a baffled sump is to get the sump and oil pump from a XU10, as fitted to a really boring 406 in a scrapyard near you.

Stu

^^^^ As above, but bear in mind the pick up will need lengthening to make full use of the extra capacity if you keep the 205 pump, and the sprocket on the crank will need changing if you use the 406 pump.

The sump you've got there mate is the standard Mi one, as is the pick up on the oil pump.

Edited by stu da rude

d-9
The sprocket on the crank will need changing if you use the 406 pump.

Does it?????? How come? Why? Youve got me worried now, as i just chucked the 406 pump straight on :S

Stu

Im fairly sure the sprocket is bigger on one or the other, and the chain is a different pitch, PeterT is the guy to ask, i think it goes into all the details on his webpage buddy.

d-9

ahh k, well afaik the 406 pump fits straight on and gives good oil pressure, so its all good.

malyso
The sump is the same depth as a normal 1.9 tin sump (both use the spacer/stiffener plate above the sump). Are you used to a 1.6 sump? (which is deeper by the thickness of the spacer/stiffener).

Are you saying I should have a spacer between this sump and the block?

There isn't one and this may explain why the sump bolts are so long, is it possible that it was removed to help the oil surge problem it will have the same effect of using a deeper sump with longer pick up....

petert

Yes. The finned sump was always fitted with a 15mm spacer plate, whether on the 1.9 8V or the 1.9 Mi16.

SweetBadger

There isn't one and this may explain why the sump bolts are so long, is it possible that it was removed to help the oil surge problem it will have the same effect of using a deeper sump with longer pick up....

If that picture in your first post (not there anymore, but I spotted it earlier) is your engine then it looks like you do have the spacer plate - it's just still bolted to the block. There are two allen key bolts in opposite corners of the block holding the spacer plate on - un-do them and it should pull off...

malyso
If that picture in your first post (not there anymore, but I spotted it earlier) is your engine then it looks like you do have the spacer plate - it's just still bolted to the block. There are two allen key bolts in opposite corners of the block holding the spacer plate on - un-do them and it should pull off...

Yeah I spotted on closer inspection, thanks badger.. Should be picking up a s16 sump already baffled at the weekend...

Sign in to follow this