• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Whitworth Nuts - Where Can I Buy Them?

KRISKARRERA

I want some nuts for my spring compressors and have discovered they're 7/16th inch Whitworth. I'd never heard of all that stuff until today. I thought it was just imperial and metric.

Anyway, anyone know where to buy them from please?

M_R_205

Whitworth if im correct is the name given to coarse imperial threads, no idea where to buy them though lol

Ryan
Whitworth if im correct is the name given to coarse imperial threads, no idea where to buy them though lol

Whitworth threads are slight different to normal coarse threads.

Beastie
Whitworth threads are slight different to normal coarse threads.

Whitworth and BSF use the same thread form which has a thread angle of 55 degrees. Unified imperial threads use a 60 degree angle.

Both 7/16 whitworth and 7/16 UNC have a pitch of 14 threads per inch which means that you can get a 7/16 UNC nut down a 7/16 whitworth bolt in an emergency - it's only the angle of the thread flanks which are different.

In answer to the original question - are you sure that they are whitworth threads and not UNC threads? The only way you can tell is with a thread gauge to measure the angle.

KRISKARRERA

Yeah a couple of nearing retirement types had a good look at it and said "whitworth" so they're probably correct. I didn't realise manufacturers were still using whitworth threads on tools.

Sign in to follow this