• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garry

[engine_work] 205 Gti 6 Supercharged

taylorspug

No problem mate. ;)

Truly one of the worst wired cars ive ever worked on, and thats no disrespect to Garry as hes hardly touched it! The 8v ECU was fully intergrated into the GTI6 loom for some reason, it would have been far easier for the particular 'experts' who did it originally to just rip it all out, but hey ho.

Garry was very patient as i worked away, and makes a stellar cup of tea to boot! I think it took me around 10 hours from start to finish to get everything in and working, aswell as tidy and functional. Main thing is it was done in a day which saved him 2 very long train rides.

Also have maybe found a cure for some of his header tank venting issues, as he was having similar problems to me with the water level rising when the engine was revved. I will await the outcome of the re-routing plan we came up with, which worked a treat on my car.

I had a chance to take the car out for a quick test drive when the work was completed (it was 9PM by this time!), and i cant stress just how quick this car is, power delivery is seamless and linear, as well as having no noticeable drop off all the way to the limiter. Certainly the quickest 205 ive driven, and made apparent to me just how good these supercharger kits are. Nice handling car too, you could really feel the rigidity the weld in cage was giving the shell, as well as the positive effect of the big bars on the rear. Although it could do with a bit more front spring, as we discovered during the day they are nowhere near 300lb!

Good day though all in all, a few of my mates popped down (Maxi being one of them), as the mention of Garrys car when i was out for a curry the night before had generated quite a bit of interest! Plus he got the delight of hearing possibly the loudest RX7 to ever grace the earth! :ph34r:

Cameron

Finally found your thread! What an interesting read. :excl:

Was good to meet you today, haven't done any more work on your seats this evening though as I'm shattered! Will be up bright and early tomorrow though and hopefully make some good progress.

Awesome acceleration in those vids, can see why your seat mounts had split now! :ph34r:

Garry

Over the past two weekends I have been over at Camerons (205 forum) getting some new seat rails installed for my new Sparco side mount seats, this weekend I sprayed them silver with some Hammerite. In order to get the seats nice and low Cameron had to cut out a section of the exhaust tunnel. I am really pleased with the results it feels much sportier and has made it much easier to heel and toe. So big thanks to Cameron. :)

250509074.jpg

250509076.jpg

250509077.jpg

250509075.jpg

Garry

Since fitting the charger I have found that my Mintex M1155’s have really struggled and after a few laps end up fade, they were absoulutly bomb proof before, but I suppose the extra 15-20mph entry speeds are taking their toll and have just tipped them over their working temperature. So to help this I have decided to try some EBC yellows, which appear to have a higher temperature range than the M1155’s. Some people say EBC are rubbish others really rate the Yellow’s, so I will give them a try. The first positive is that they were only £60. :lol:

250509073.jpg

I have also fitted some air ducting onto the discs using some 51mm flexi duct and an old fishing rod tube! :)

Rod tube:

250509079.jpg

250509080.jpg

250509082.jpg

Cameron also made me a battery holder, which is handy as I was struggling to find a tray that would fit the West Co battery from MX5 parts. I used to have the battery behind the passenger seat in a fibre glass box, but it was a pain to get to especially when trying to fit the trickle charger. So I have fitted it in front of the passenger seat, there is loads of room now as the passenger seat is really far back.

250509045.jpg

260509004.jpg

260509005.jpg

Garry

I also moved the second fuel pump and cooling fan relays into the main cabin from the engine bay.

260509007.jpg

The secondary fuel pump relay is triggered by the in tank pump so that they will always run together. The cooling fan relay is triggered by one of the new dash switches I added the other week. I have spliced into the original fan feed so that the fan will see a power supply from either the stat or by my switch.

260509001.jpg

Since fitting the supercharger I have suffered various electrical gremlins, the alarm kept cutting in and out, random starting issues and killed 2 batteries. Cameron checked the power feeds with his multi meter, the battery was showing 12 Volts, the alternator was showing 13.5 or so, so nothing wrong there. He then did a continuity check and found the cable between the battery and the engine bay was not flowing much juice, the culprit is here:

260509008.jpg

When fitting the supercharger I had decided to use an old amplifier power cable I had knocking around in the garage as it was nice and big. The only problem was that it wasn’t long enough, so I bolted the ends of and old fuse holder together and hid it in electrical tape. It would appear this is not a good way to connect cables! Lesson learned :):lol:

I now have a new continuous length of power cable that feeds a distribution block in the passenger foot well for the relays:

260509006.jpg

And then onto another one in the engine bay for the engine

260509002.jpg

I also replaced the engine earths with new one piece cables. The result immediate result is that the car starts much faster than before, the starter always sounded really lazy but now it spins up really fast.

Off to Le Mans on Friday to test my new bits, which will unfortunately be its last outing this year. We have just managed to sell our house and have bought a much bigger place and what with the cost to move on its own plus the pending mega mortgage the 205 will have to wait. :(

EdCherry

Not sure im a fan of where you have placed the battery, very similar to a single seaters position (under the drivers legs) but its a fair bit larger... not sure how comfy the passenger would find it!

Garry

The cushions on the passenger seat keep the passengers legs way above the battery, so there are no comfort issues.

Spiky

battery should be fine :D

the 205's wiring is pretty shocking :(

after the weekend, i'm going to rip out any wire that is not needed, as there is so much crap in there.

love the modified tunnel, neat welding

Cameron

Thanks. :(

Would have been much easier with a MIG welder though it has to be said! :D

Good job sorting out the electrical issues Garry, glad it was something simple in the end.

Garry
Thanks. :(

Would have been much easier with a MIG welder though it has to be said! :D

Good job sorting out the electrical issues Garry, glad it was something simple in the end.

Hello Cameron,

Can you post up the in progress photos you took please. Especially the standard mount pics showing the cracking.

Thanks

Cameron

Yeah I will do, my internet has been down for a couple of weeks now so I'll do it as soon as its fixed.

Dj_mini

Hi

Im interested as to how the drive train copes with the extra power has it all been ok? i bet you have suprised quite a few people in this on track :(

Dont take this the wrong way but but would you be better off turning the battery up the other way so the terminals are up the top so in a crash they wont ark out if the floor creases?

Garry
Hi

Im interested as to how the drive train copes with the extra power has it all been ok? i bet you have suprised quite a few people in this on track <_<

Dont take this the wrong way but but would you be better off turning the battery up the other way so the terminals are up the top so in a crash they wont ark out if the floor creases?

I know what you mean, and I did think about this, but the battery would have been too high compared to the passenger seat. I have the terminal protected now so iy should be OK.

I have had a few issues with drive shafts, but that could have been wear and tear. I run 406 ones now and so far so good. The power delivery is quite linear so there are no sudden stresses.

Garry

Having included the photos of my seat fitting earlier in this thread, please see below the ones that precede them.

This is how the standard seat mounts are arranged:

SSL21520.jpg

The reason for getting some proper seat mounting bars fitted was that I had concerns with the integrity of the standard mounts. They were justified.

The inner fixing points, which I had previously welded up after they were showing signs of fatique:

SSL21521.jpg

SSL21522.jpg

The front mounting point had actually split:

SSL21523.jpg

205’s are known to be pretty flimsy, but I don’t think many would expect the mounts to be in such a poor state. I generally use the car for track days and I am 14st (ish!) and 6ft tall so not huge and I have managed to destroy the mounts. I am pretty sure the seat would not have stayed fixed to the car if I had an accident. So check your mounts guys!

Garry

Anyway, on with the new mounting points:

Exhaust tunnel cut out:

SSL21526.jpg

Sheet metal cut to size and welded back in:

SSL21527.jpg

All welded up

SSL21528.jpg

SSL21529.jpg

SSL21530.jpg

New seat fitted:

SSL21531.jpg

All credit goes to Cameron, top job!

Henry 1.9GTi

nice , I desperately need the tunnel cut as the seat is as far it will go into the car and is still alarmingly close to the door. How do you find the wheel position with the seat moved over?

Garry

It isn't as far over as I would like, but it is doable. Once I have been in it a while it feels OK, more of a shock when you get in it after a while!

Garry

Well its been nearly two years since its last outing but the 205 is now taxed, insured and tested.

Oulton Park on Friday with Northloop.

Jobs done:

New Rad tec radiator

Full set of silicone coolant hoses

Changed the plumbing set up to a T piece from the header tank, stat housing and heater matrix

moved the drivers seat inwards to centre on the steering wheel

Pics will follow :(

oli-pug

Woah good to hear the 205s making a return mate! I thought I saw your name on the list for Oulton, unforunately I can't make it, Fridays are a day I definitely can't go jollying on at the moment.

Hope it all goes well for you anyway :(

mikeygulley

The conversion looks awesome! I enjoyed reading all that. I have recently done the GTI6 conversion to my 205 and after reading that I WANT A SUPERCHARGER!!! hahaha! Maybe after the baby is born. :D

bazil_205gti

glad to see this thread with some more updates, awsome project mate. Have found Your thread really helpful as ive been working on a very similar project a 2.1 s16 with richard warkers supercharger kit :o have been working on it for 2 years after seeing this thread when you first started when i saw it i thought ive gotta have one :D

heres a couple of pics :)am hoping to put up a build diary soon, cant wait to see some more updates mate!

post-15003-1298381280_thumb.jpg

post-15003-1298381295_thumb.jpg

Daviewonder
am hoping to put up a build diary soon,

post-15003-1298381280_thumb.jpg

post-15003-1298381295_thumb.jpg

Sounds amazing, can't wait :)

Baz

Nice work G! Didn't realise it'd been 2 yrs, can't have been long after that 'ring trip then?

Got your text t'other day, well done on the MOT, guess they didn't spot all those bodges then! :wub::) Have fun friday! :D

oli-pug

Looks like everything went ok at oulton garry, other than the nsf tyre wear!