• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garry

[engine_work] 205 Gti 6 Supercharged

Garry

Thanks for the comments guys.

I already have a diff Feb.

It isn't as bad as it looks on the video, if you look for Garry205 on youtube you will find some trackday vids where it performed really well and traction wasn't a problem.

This was the first real engine work I had done, ever. It really wasn't that hard as is mainly bolt on stuff. I struggled mainly with time, estimating how long things will take to do. I wouldn't make very much if I was a mechanic!

Alastairh

Thought id post my experience of a double lap passenger ride in Garry's car at the ring from last weekend.

You'd think a 250 brake in a 205 would spin up its wheels at any chance possible. But it doesn't.

With the combination of R888's, Tran-x diff, and smooth power delivery a.k.a. no huge cams makes the most of the power safely. Just simply drop it into second and see the German machine off :D. Ooh, and its quick.

In more time to come once Garry has built up more confidence with the recent changes, it will be a ridiculously quick car.

Al :)

Edited by Alastairh

Garry

Thanks Al.

Just for the record it is a Quaife diff, but yes it really puts the power down well.

Just need to stop it air locking now..........

Garry

I haven’t updated for a while, so here goes:

The conversion was going really well, I had an awesome trackday at Cadwell over the summer and I was very pleased with how the car performed.

I went back to the ‘ring in August to try and make up for the disappointment in May where I blew an oil hose. Sadly, the cooling system kept getting air locked stopping the flow of coolant around the engine and resulting in the engine massively overheating, even for a Gti6 conversion! The old girl still managed to make it all the way home though, needless to say I am now an expert at bleeding the cooling system. :unsure: It was strange as I could sometimes drive for hours without a problem other times it would overheat in about 10 minutes, particularly exciting when in a contraflow or in a queue to get on the Eurostar!

A compression test showed 195-185-175-175 and high hydrocarbons in the coolant pointed to head gasket failure.

So a couple of weeks ago the engine was removed and taken down to Miles at Pug Racing. Apparently the head bolts were loose :) Miles said he normally needs a long breaker bar to remove the bolts, mine just undid with a socket! It must have been like this for over 4 years as the head hasn’t been off during my ownership. Once the head was off, Miles could see where the gasket had failed down to the lack of support.

The good news is that we now know what the problem was and the engine is in very good condition, which backs up the original suppliers claim that it was very low mileage when I bought it. B)

So this weekend I jet washed the engine bay, it was very grubby considering it was only painted about 6 months ago.

121008103.jpg

In a bid to improve the reliability of the drive train I bought some 406 drive shafts modified to fit my 205 from Colin Satchel, you can clearly see the difference in thickness:

121008105.jpg

Unfortunately the CV boots split so they had to come out, in removing the longer shaft I managed to pull it apart and loose the small bearing pins in the process. Luckily I have a few spare drive shafts so I took the pins out of one of the worse ones:

121008106.jpg

121008107.jpg

It was quite fiddly to get them in, but the grease helped hold them in place

121008108.jpg

Fixed!

121008109.jpg

The engine is due back next week, that gives me two weekends to get it up and running again before the Northloop.co.uk track day at Anglesey on the 1st November.

Pt2051900tdic

Hi

What oil pressure you have with that oil cooler?

You have done any mod on the oil pump?

Thanks

Garry

Hello,

It just runs standard oil pressure, on the gauge it sits at about 3/4 when running.

The oil pump is standard.

If you are referring to why the pipe burst, I think it was bent too tight to fit behind the bumper.

tidypug

Hi Garry, which type of oil filter do you use? The standard larger pug item or the smaller one from the renault 19 16v?

cybernck

btw, 306 GTI-6 shafts are just as thick i reckon, but also have to be shortened :blink:.

welshpug

odd thing is, that most shafts I've seen break have been at the base of the splines, i.e where the 406 shaft is exactly the same size.

Garry

Tidypug, I use either oil filter.

The Renault one gives alot more room, but I have found these quite hard to get hold of, so I use what I can get hold of at the time.

danpug
odd thing is, that most shafts I've seen break have been at the base of the splines, i.e where the 406 shaft is exactly the same size.

I think i remember sandy telling me they haven't had one fail yet (that was a while ago though), even on 8 inch wide slicks!

Baz

Nice work Garry! :lol: I kept wondering where the report was!! :)

I wanna come to Anglesey... :(

Sandy
I think i remember sandy telling me they haven't had one fail yet (that was a while ago though), even on 8 inch wide slicks!

Absolutely true.

Garry

Following the loose head bolts and perishing head gasket I got Miles of Pug racing to recondition the head and reassemble it.

The engine now has:

Valves were blasted and cleaned

3 Angle Valve seats

A cleaning skim

New OE head bolts and gasket

Standard inlet cam re fitted (it did have a piper fast road one)

261008007.jpg

The original clutch, which was a 405 Diesel one I think, was showing signs of excessive heat (blue tinges) and some of the springs were getting loose. This was backed up by a mega clutch slip as I exited the ‘ring barriers in August. To save (hopefully) messing around with it again and improve reliability I decided to take the plunge and get a Helix organic clutch kit (as per this months Performance Tuner feature).

261008006.jpg

When I removed the engine I laid it down on its back, breaking the plastic coolant distribution block in the process. I didn’t realise at the time, but luckily I noticed the remains on the drive when jet washing the engine bay the other weekend. So Miles got me a new one:

261008008.jpg

205 owners may be interested to know it is from a 306 DT. The right outlet is from the Radiator, one of the top ones is blocked off, the other goes to the heater matrix and the left outlet goes to the header tank.

I also changed a gear linkage bush to a bronze one, which should improve the gearshift:

261008001.jpg

261008005.jpg

Jonathon Edward Cross B) or ‘’Crossie’’ came over to help me put the engine in (thanks mate) All was going well, it was fiddly getting the engine at the right angle to get it in. Having the engine sat on its mounts we stopped for some lunch but then I relised we had forgotten to fit the exhaust manifold, which HAS to go in before the engine! :o

With that sorted all went pretty much to plan, I had been ringing the garage with my drive shafts most of the morning, as it transpires they had gone racing for the weekend and were not open. So I couldn’t collect my shafts and subsequently the car would not be going anywhere. :(

By about 5pm Sunday evening we were ready to start her up, this is me in my ‘workshop’:

261008009.jpg

I tuned the key and the starter kicked abit then all power was lost, we wiggled a few wires, power came back so I tried again, click click dead. :rolleyes:

Following a few frantic phone calls to Miles and poking about with the wires we found that when Ed moved the battery distribution block power came back on. With Ed holding the power points the starter turned and she fired up first time! B)

I think when the car kept over heating and spitting out the coolant the power block must have got corroded.

So now the car runs but needs the drive shafts fitting, I have taken Friday off to finish it ready for a Anglesey track day with the Northloop forum on Saturday.

Edited by Garry

Spiky

shame about the HG, but at least it wasn't major and its all pretty my much back together,

didn't fancy making a quick shift then?

hopefully see you a track day next year :rolleyes:

Garry

I used to have one Spiky, it was a Constella kit.

TBH I don't find the shift too long anyway.

Spiky

ok :rolleyes:

Batfink

good to see this working again :rolleyes:

Was the piper cam too wild for the engine spec?

anderoo

Very impressive. I was hoping to do a low boost conversion on my 6.

I'd love to see what a high boost engine in a 205 could do though!

Garry
good to see this working again :blush:

Was the piper cam too wild for the engine spec?

I wouldn't say too wild but my understanding is you need different cams for a boosted engine than N/A, would I be right and saying milder? So that the boost doesn't get blown straight through the head...... not entirely sure, but the other cars run standard cams so I thought I would switch back whilst I had the chance.

Very impressive. I was hoping to do a low boost conversion on my 6.

I'd love to see what a high boost engine in a 205 could do though!

Probably wheelspin and break gearboxes :lol:

DrSarty
my understanding is you need different cams for a boosted engine than N/A, would I be right and saying milder? So that the boost doesn't get blown straight through the head

From my Secret Squirrel conversations on the planned (Saab 2.3 turbo based) engine for my E36 monster RWD project, it certainly seems to be the case. It transpires that THE critical factor in a forced induction build (apart from application which is the same for any engine) is the choice of turbo/super charger.

I suspect this almost backwards engineering is more relevant for turbos rather than s/c engines, but it seems the turbo's behaviour dictates how you specify or alter cam shafts and cam timing. We must avoid knock/detonation at all costs as temps start soaring, so valve activity is critical.

Makes sense then Gazza. Keep it up.

Garry

Hello All.

Following refitting the engine during the weekend of the 25th October I took Friday the 31st off to get the car complete ready for the Anglesey track day on the 1st November.

All had left to do was a bit of tidying up and to refit the drive shafts, I had planned to leave at 1pm to get to the Bangor Travelodge for early evening to meet the Northloop lot for a meal.

Typically a few bits turned into a few hours work, I also noticed the garage had fitted the new CV boot retaining clip very close to the boot itself:

091108014.jpg

By now it was 1pm ish so I took the car back to the garage and showed them, they said it would be OK as both parts would be moving at the same speed. You can see the extent of the un painted section where the clip should have been.

I will admit I wasn’t entirely convinced, but told them I would be back if it split…..

By now it was after 2pm and I still had to pack the car, so I decided to wait until 7pm when the traffic had died down a bit so I gave the car a quick wash and loaded up.

091108015.jpg

Having set off for Bangor (250 miles from Holbeach), I had been going for about 10 miles when I noticed the car slowing quite quickly when lifting off the throttle, the brake pedal had gone hard too and it was getting worse, more and more power was needed to keep the car moving. I stopped at a nearby garage to find the front brakes had got stuck on…… :D

It was now 8pm on a cold October evening and I had around 240 miles to go, having put a lot of effort in to get the bloody thing running I wasn’t giving up now! I bled the brakes in the forecourt of the garage and poked around at a few things, I still don’t understand why they were stuck.. But what ever I did fixed it. B)

091108016.jpg

I know it’s a bit blurred but it shows 200 odd miles to go.

I arrived at the Travelodge at around 12ish to be greeted by this, my room mate Crossie looking as gormless as ever! :P

091108019.jpg

We were doing Anglesey GP, which is a nice circuit, the long hairpin corners are quite hard to get to grips with, I always wanted to get on the power earlier than possible, resulting in under steering at the exit. I was very nice having the power to just drive around those who didn't want to let me past B)

Just before lunch on my second session the O/S driveshaft broke. Not impressed, I limped back to the pits. I will admit at this point the thought of a nice M3 or Type R was very appealing! If someone had offered me the cash for the 205 I probably would have sold it! The CV boot had split on the clip I had concerns about:

091108001.jpg

091108002.jpg

The CV joint had failed too, bits of pin and wire were found in the grease.

091108003.jpg

091108004.jpg

Luckily I had a spare with me so over lunch I changed the shaft and enjoyed the afternoon on track, taking it a bit easier than usual on the downshifts. I haven’t quite got the knack of heel ‘n’ toe yet. :blush:

Saturday night we went for a meal with the rest of the Northloop people, big thanks to Nige for organising.

Sunday was a pretty boring drive home. Not more than a mile from where the brakes seized on the replacement shaft started to fail, dipping the clutch would cause the car to veer sharply to the right. Which is not ideal on busy A roads! ;)

Overall it was a brilliant weekend, and the old girl got me back home again.

I am now waiting for new shafts ready for Silverstone on the 22nd November.

Batfink

I always find with heel and toeing the harder I am braking the easier it is to get the rev matching right, maybe because you can get away with large amounts of throttle. Its great when you can go from 5th to 3rd and match the revs so you dont faceplant the dash on decelleration :D

Garry

Back in March I booked to do the Le Mans Buggatti circuit with Circuit Days on the 31st May, we (me and Crossie) decided to do Silverstone on the 4th May as a shake down in prep for Le Mans as neither of our cars had be used in anger since November last year. At the end of last year I declared the car SORN, last week I tried to tax the car only to find I had put the log book some where very safe (lost it). So new forms in hand along with £25 I went to the DVLA office in Peterborough where you can buy the tax there and then instead of waiting for the new log book to arrive via post.

With the car taxed and road legal I went to get a new wiring loom fitted by Dan Taylor (Taylorspug). Dan is fitting an Emerald ECU to his 205 and didn’t need his old stripped down loom, so I bought it and he offered to fit it for me. The wiring on my car has been bugging me for a while, I have had numerous electrical gremlins for some time and was told that lurking under the dash is not only a 306 Gti6 loom but the old 1.9 8v wiring and ECU too! This is what I had under the dash:

190409172.jpg

The red wire is a bypass of the old fuel pump relay, the box hanging down is the old 8v Ecu.

This is my old loom:

150308029.jpg

190409174.jpg

190409175.jpg

This is the new loom from Dan, when he installed it on his car he stripped it down to run a Gti6 engine in a 205, getting rid of all the surplus sensors and wires:

190409176.jpg

Garry

Dan Hard at work:

190409177.jpg

Dan spent the whole day fitting the new loom, it took 2 hrs to get the old one out! The quality of his work is excellent, he spent a lot of time making everything need and tidy and working through the installation methodically. I spent the day making tea and helping out (getting in the way) where I could.

The loom is nice and neat now:

190409178.jpg

The ECU has been mounted behind the bulkhead in the passenger foot well (as it was before), all of the ECU and sensor wiring enters the engine bay through this hole.

190409179.jpg

The brown plug formerly hidden under the dash is now mounted in the engine bay for easy access.

190409180.jpg

The loom is as it connects to the extended sensor locations

190409181.jpg

I also bought a few wiring bits and pieces from Auto electrical supplies. They are to wire up the heated screen I have bought and to move the fuel pump and radiator fan over ride relays into the passenger compartment. These will be fitted after Silverstone.

190409160.jpg

In the meantime though I have fitted a 5 hole centre console (available from Peugeot). The standard set up is to have the three switches on the right, although the sockets for the extra ones are hidden behind. I think it is quite a neat solution, I used to have a toggle switch for the fan but it looked a little out of place and as there was no light I often forgot which way was on! The left hand blank switch is the fan over ride and the left hand heated screen will be for the front.

190409.jpg

Big thanks again to Dan. Much appreciated.