• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andychalmers

Honda Vti 1600 16v Into A 205 Rally Car?

danpug

Oops, my bad!

andychalmers

Thanks for all the input everyone, very usefull & mint topic.

I've check out and its legal for rallying :D

I've got a localish guy who's got the correct B16 engine & box to chuck in and see how she fits etc etc before buying engine and making mounts etc. I may need to go 2ltr Honda route as box is on the other end of engine.

The plan is making engine fit the car & do minimum work to the shell so its revesible if I need to revert back to Pug engine etc. Hopefully pug subframe will take Honda engine as this will be the key point.

I'll use Honda Engine & box & Peugeot everything else. Will have to mix match shafts, wiring, cables & Hoses.

I dont think it will to hard once engine is fitted in the right place as will run throttle bodies :angry:

Once in & sorted I might possibly make a conversion kit as no doubt I'll wright the shell off eventually or someone else will want to do it.

Keep the debate going :)

Picto_205Cti

i have found my del sol 1.6 vti 167bhp the best mod i have found for it is a vtec controller from spoon plugs directly into the ecu and allows you to turn the vtec so it kicks in really early or the opposite as standard mine did kick in at 4500rpm but now well where ever i want it to

good luck with the conversion

picto

GLPoomobile

A few years back when VTEC controllers started coming on to the market a lot of independent tests showed they lost power on standard engines. Seems Honda does actually set the switch over where it is for a good reason.

Moving the switchover lower down the rev range actually lost power in the midrange. So unless you are modifying (particularly I guess in the case of different cams) it seems these things aren't worth the money.

There's a guy on a couple of UK Honda forums who runs a 3rd Gen (early to late 80s) Civic with a B20 'frankenstein' engine, that goes very well. Very well indeed B). I'll see if I can find some info.

frankenstein engine! WTF ;)

PMSL (not at you GL) but that tickled me, imagining some bloke tightening up the neck bolts on his engine!

B)

GLPoomobile

Well it's the yanks who coined the phrase, so need I say more? It's basically a B20 block from a CRV with a VTEC head.

I've trawled through 2 Honda forums and can't find the exact car I referred to earlier, although there's no shortage of info on these things. Maybe a bit pointless though if you can simply drop a H22A in.

base-1
Well it's the yanks who coined the phrase, so need I say more? It's basically a B20 block from a CRV with a VTEC head.

My mate's done this in his Civic Jordan, great engine!

Liner reinforcers, forged pistons and rods in a B20 bottom end, and B16 head bolted on with big cams and throttle bodies. 255bhp, it's a stormer!

Sandy
A few years back when VTEC controllers started coming on to the market a lot of independent tests showed they lost power on standard engines. Seems Honda does actually set the switch over where it is for a good reason.

Moving the switchover lower down the rev range actually lost power in the midrange. So unless you are modifying (particularly I guess in the case of different cams) it seems these things aren't worth the money.

I've tested mine fairly scientifically by taking acceleration times from 30-70 in third (repeating on the same piece of road to ensure repeatability) and moving the switching point from 5800rpm down to 5000rpm gave a clear improvement and tangibly smoothed out the power delivery, any lower made no difference. I've done a video of it actually:

http://df11.dot5hosting.com/~noboostc/temp...dy/N4k-5800.wmv

1st run, VTEC @ 3000rpm, 5.6sec

2nd run, VTEC @ 5000rpm, 5.5sec

3rd run, VTEC @ 5250rpm, 5.6sec

4th run, VTEC @ 5800rpm, 5.9sec

CaptainK

Same with the Mitsubishi MIVEC engines. We've found from the FTO club that the MIVEC switch over point is spot on from standard and any deviation of it actually loses power.

VisaGTi16v

I love the way the note changes when they go on vtec. Sandy, why does your rev counter suddenly drop to 0?

Sandy

When the acceleration timer finishes it does that (30-70 in this case).

VisaGTi16v

ah cool

Sign in to follow this