• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

[Project] Starting My Xu5T Build

Fox

Thats a bugger (to put it mildly!) Is the ARB for this one?

Tom Fenton

A bugger indeed. The ARB is for my white Mi16 track car- I've already modified one and fitted to this car, a good improvement it is too.

allanallen

Christ on a bike! What exactly needed replacing then, obviously not just the gears?

Its typical that they can't explain why it failed so its upto the customer to stump up the cash to have it repaired. I realise you got it second hand but you'd think tran-x would of been a bit more sympathetic with the pricing? To be honest i'd of thought they'd of sorted it FOC if they can't explain why it happened :huh:

When I had mine MOT'd a couple of months back they tested the brakes the same as any other car and I've had no problems so far. I don't really see why it would cause any problems either to be honest BUT I think i'll be avoiding the brake rollers in future just in case.

Glad to see your your sorting it quickly though buddy, How about that race :D .......................

P.S What was the diagnosis on the clutch?

Edited by allanallen

Rippthrough

Will they send you the broken bits back Tom?

Tom Fenton

Al, I also thought the prices were a bit much, but really what other option do I have? At least the diff was only £280 in the first place really. Price was for 2 off side gears at £50-odd plus 4 off planet wheels at £30-odd. They wanted to sell me a pair of cross pins as well, but I wasn;t having that and will re use the old ones.

Race? What race? Stop being a pussy "oh my brakes" "oh too hot" and come to Cadwell then we can have a race :rolleyes:

Phil, I don't know if they will send the bust stuff back or not. My version of events is basically that whilst testing one wheel, with the other held stationary, this causes the diff pins to ride up the ramps in the diff. To such an extent that the belville washers are totally compressed flat, and the clutch discs forced hard together. As the turning continues basically the pins are still being pushed up the diff ramp, but there is nowhere for anything to go, so the weakest thing has to give way, this being one of the planet wheels. Failure looked like fracture across the tooth root, then all the debris has taken care of the other planet wheels and the side gears.

Toddy

Tom

May be worth a recorded letter to the Managing Director if you just dealt with a numpty there, even if they just offer you the parts at cost instead of what seems like trade price.

Also how did Oli-Pug get on with them, could you compared notes to strengthen your justification for FOC replacement?

Rippthrough
Phil, I don't know if they will send the bust stuff back or not. My version of events is basically that whilst testing one wheel, with the other held stationary, this causes the diff pins to ride up the ramps in the diff. To such an extent that the belville washers are totally compressed flat, and the clutch discs forced hard together. As the turning continues basically the pins are still being pushed up the diff ramp, but there is nowhere for anything to go, so the weakest thing has to give way, this being one of the planet wheels. Failure looked like fracture across the tooth root, then all the debris has taken care of the other planet wheels and the side gears.

But I can't see why that wouldn't happen if you locked a front wheel under braking, not unless something was dragging slightly already?

shalmaneser
But I can't see why that wouldn't happen if you locked a front wheel under braking, not unless something was dragging slightly already?

That's a good point.

How fast do brake rollers spin the wheel? This is more fishy the more I hear about it. Good luck getting the diff sorted.

Tom Fenton

Diff back and rebuilt, installed in box, new clutch fitted and gearbocx back in the car.

TD rad sourced and here, for my next trick I shall shoehorn it into place in the front of the car....

Watch this space!

Matt Holley

Its a bit late now but that shouldn't have gone on a brake meter with a diff, when I was testing cars I always asked if it have an lsd, it was nomally on old jags and rwd stuff, if I could feel resistance across the axle it was done on the road.

Even so the speed that the rollers go at shouldn't have cause all that, as Rippthrough says, if you snach a brake on track its the same thing.

Edited by matt holley

Tom Fenton

Well I know that now!

Anyway it is all back together and working, but has developed a very strange noise as the turbo spools up that sounds like a police siren!?

I'm having it in the garage tonight to go over all the boost hoses etc and hoping I can find something up with it, I've had the inlet pipe off the turbo and there is no play there which set my mind at rest a little!

Tom Fenton

Hurrah, sorted it, it turns out that the boost pipes work much better when the clips are done up tight! What a donkey! Anyway it has put my mind at rest as I had visions of knackered turbos and all sorts.

It went well enough with a boost leak but bugger me I'd forgotten how quick it is when its on song, lighting up the tyres into 3rd on dry road....

I have still however got a very annoying metallic rattling type noise coming from somewhere, it is annoying me now as I've pretty much been over everything trying to find it, it sounds like it is coming from the back of the car somewhere, but I've been underneath and spanner checked everything and nothing is loose. Grr.

Rippthrough
Hurrah, sorted it, it turns out that the boost pipes work much better when the clips are done up tight!

B)

Must have caught the noise from mine Tom, I've got one too :(

jim205GTI

Wow epic... Read all 47 pages of it.... Top work and if it wasn't dark outside now it would have made me go out and work on my pug.... it's that inspiring! :lol:

welshpug

loose baffles in the exhaust ?

Daviewonder

Tank strap sometimes rattles where it connects to the bracket on the beam even though the bolt is tight :lol:

Tom Fenton
loose baffles in the exhaust ?

Nope it isn't that, it has been off recently and had a shake.

Tank strap sometimes rattles where it connects to the bracket on the beam even though the bolt is tight :lol:

Tank strap is long gone!

All other suggestions welcome....!

Edited by Tom Fenton

Anthony

I assume you've checked the two exhaust heatshields? The rear one (above the backbox) in particular is notorious for fatiguing, breaking off and rattling around against the backbox

Tom Fenton

Yep, the rear most one is MIA, the centre one near the tank was replaced last week with a new one, but isn't the rattle.

Keep em coming guys.............

DrSarty

It seems you have a phase 1.64, special edition 205, complete with self-undoing hose clips and the much sought after 'annoying rattle which is impossible to locate' option.

Either that or you're hearing things and are slowly going senile.

:P

Seriously: rear brake disk cover(s)? They are s*it and rattle as the holes in the covers oval and the cap head screws corrode.

Tom Fenton
Seriously: rear brake disk cover(s)? They are s*it and rattle as the holes in the covers oval and the cap head screws corrode.

Gone, they don't fit with my rear disc setup.

NEXT!

jimistdt

Loose quarter badges, boot hatch trim or badly secured rear seats?

GLPoomobile

Ill fitting false teeth?

Tom Fenton
Loose quarter badges, boot hatch trim or badly secured rear seats?

Quarter badges are bonded on, boot hatch trim is secure as I changed the badges the other day, I don't think it is the rear seats as the noise isn't inside the car.

As daft as it sounds I'm now wondering if it is those silly tin covers that sit to shield the lower arm balljoint boot..........

happygoron
It seems you have a phase 1.64, special edition 205, complete with self-undoing hose clips and the much sought after 'annoying rattle which is impossible to locate' option.

I thought both those those were standard for 1984-1994 cars?