• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

[Project] Starting My Xu5T Build

Tom Fenton

220 miles now, but more worryingly its going to the rolling road on Thursday afternoon, to be mapped by none other than...........me.........eek!

I've basically managed to arrange some rolling road time, but that means I'll be doing the adjustments myself. I'm reasonably happy with the fuelling side of things, just bricking it about the ignition side!!

Tom Fenton

Well new shaft fitted, one that came out was utterly fubar, having said that I had checked them before fitting, but its definitely knackered. Glad I got another organised. Bigger set of injectors are in, I wasn't too confident that the ones in there were going to supply enough fuel at higher revs on boost.

Engine oil and filter also changed again, now for some decent semi synth to help the bearings take the load when under load on the rollers. After much soldering and burning of fingers I've also got my pot box to adjust the ECU working, thats another story though.

So leaving in the next hour or so, I've make a few changes to various things in the ECU in readiness to map it so its going to be a trailer queen, its done enough miles in the last week for me to be happy that the engine is A OK.

So wish me luck, and if you hear anything going det-det-det-det-det KA-BOOOOM in the Warwick area then that may well be me............

base-1

Warwick? Goddamnit, if I got up at a sensible hour I could maybe have come down and taken a look! :rolleyes:

taylorspug

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Luca

update please!

DrSarty

:unsure:

I heard...

det-det-det-det-det KA-BOOOOM in the Warwick area....

...from over here in Helmand Province. I think it went BANG!

Maybe? :P

maxi

Dont be silly, I have every faith in Mr Fenton, especially after seeing his min at pugfest last year.....

Hope it went well mate.

Maxi

M@tt

well i've had word it's all gone rather well :unsure:

I won't spoil it, i'll let Mr F post his results when he's back

Tom Fenton

Well it went OK, hats off to guys who map cars all the time as especially with a turbo car setting the advance is bloody scary!

I'd also like to thank Sandy for taking the time to answer a couple of PM's over the last few days regarding mapping technique.

ANYWAY, on to le numeros.......

182bhp at the wheels, peak torque 278NM. With the rollers run down it calc'd back to 195bhp at the flywheel, 1.1 bar boost pressure. Flywheel graph shown below, ignore the air fuel readings as although the rollers guy protested otherwise it wasn't as rich as that indicated- I had the plugs out to check.

35994502541_67529bf512_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

In all honesty I think there is probably more there to be had, peak power is very early at 5200rpm, but I was very very cautious with the advance map above this point and this is why the power holds on but doesn't climb to a peak and then fall off.

Having said all that, I haven't really come to terms with it yet, apart from a brief blat up the road after it came off the rollers it came home on the trailer. But I'm certainly pleased, and really quite relieved that it has survived my amateur mapping attempt.

Anyway I'm now knackered and heading for the shower!

James_R

Torque looks perfect for a nice road car!!

Edited by James_R

EdCherry

Sounds like it would be a laugh in the wet!

Looks amazing tom and a credit to your work! I think this will pave the way for many more turbo projects on original 205 engines, I certainly would consider it now.

billybluesky

great build,great project and a real alternative to 16 valves well done but is this the end of the road for this compelling read?

taylorspug

Alot of torque (Power is good too for 1600cc, just the torque jumps out at me), well done sir!

DrSarty
Alot of torque (Power is good too for 1600cc, just the torque jumps out at me), well done sir!

Yes. Outstanding Thomas. Truly brilliant from start to finish, and more torque than mine (205lbft peak versus my 196lbft (267Nm)) but more importantly for the road, 'fattly' delivered.

Must be an absolute hoot. Go enjoy it. I'd love a ride at some point.

SUPERB!!!

madspikes

Good showing that man.

This is just the motivation I need to get the superchargered pug back on the road, and on to the rollers!

Congratulations for a great result, so whats next on the cards?

Mad. :wub:

Tom Fenton

Cheers chaps. I've come to work in it this morning, drove it no faster than anything else on the roads nearly all the way, until I came across an old chap trundling along at 25mph, down into 3rd, quick squirt, bloody hell!!!

As for what is next, I've not really had chance to think about it yet, but off the cuff there are a few odds and sods with the engine install to tidy up or modify slightly, I need to move the breather offtake on the cam cover and also make it larger as the standard one is hard against the boost pipework and also is very small. Also I have a catch tank to incorporate into the breather system. Once it has run for 30-40secs even from cold it will idle on its own so I don't think I'm going to bother with the idle valve, although having said that I've now got some restrictors Carl has made me so I may have a play. Its not running an oil cooler at the moment so depending on how the oil temps sit I may consider fitting one, I do have a standard item from a 1900 with the sandwich plate, and also bought a Renault 16v oil filter the other day, and the combination of sandwich plate and filter looks like it will go in the space. Despite meddling with the rev counter it doesn't read properly, annoyingly sometimes it does seem something like, other times it reads 1000rpm all the time, or nothing at all, so I need to sort this too. Aside from the engine bits there is a bit of fine tuning to do on the suspension, the rear needs to come down a tad, the front needs to come up a tad. I probably will also shorten another 306 GTI6 ARB to 309 width and fit that, its running 23mm TB's with the standard 309GTI ARB (20mm?) at the moment.

I think the next major project on it will be paint and bodywork, both the doors have lots of pin dents, the boot has two nasty dents right on the curve, and the bonnet I painted in celly is fading like a bitch. Both wings are reasonable, rear quarters are reasonable apart from some shocking fish eyes one one side from a previous Just-GTIs paint job, which also has contributed loads of microblisters on the roof. Oh and both valances need painting too...... In the metal it doesn't look so bad really, but I guess everyone is picky about their own car. Having said all this, it won't be getting anything done in the paint dept until maybe next Spring at the earliest- in the end it has been out of commission since the 1st of February, so for now it is time to enjoy it.

Rippthrough
Once it has run for 30-40secs even from cold it will idle on its own so I don't think I'm going to bother with the idle valve,

We've always got away with just tweaking the ignition and fuel map up whilst cold to get it to idle straight after firing, haven't found an engine it hasn't worked fine with yet, including the rotary!

Tesstuff

Very impressive work Tom , compliments to you , enjoy it now :lol:

Rob Turbo

So I suppose the answer to my earlier question (is it worth it), is yes?

Looks like I've found a use for the 1.6 engine and redundant 8v turbo bits!

swordfish210

Great work there Tom, you must be pleased with it. The torque looks great, more than my van :lol:

Tom Fenton

I've been out for a blast this afternoon and yes I'm very pleased! I think a longer box would probably work well too, although the close ratios of the 1600 certainly does make for fast progress.

As for is it worth it, I think that for what it has cost the answer is yes, but alongside that, I don't know how long this is going to last, and I've also done it reasonably properly. If people strap a turbo on a knackered 1600 8v I don't suppose it would last long at all.

marksorrento205

Every credit for trying it yourself, and to get such good results - nice one!!

base-1

Excellent result, great to see it work out. Tidy setup aswell, it's always the little touches!

Luca

Hey Tom post up some more pics when you can, it's been great readig this thread mate.