• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pete1986

Number Plate Size?

pete1986

I need to get some replacement number plates and if possible some that actually fit into the recess on the front bumper, which i measured at just over 18". However when choosing the size on websites, the closest size they do is 20.5". So im just wondering where i can get plates to fit like they are supposed to? What size does everyone else have?

EDIT: I remember there being a similar topic a while back, i did a search, but 28 pages of unrelated topics came up!!

Edited by pete1986

Tom Fenton

I cut the ends off my standard size plate to make it fit in the recess. I'm not yet sure if I like it or not.

pete1986

Wow, this has drummed up a massive response! :lol:

Come on guys, i know its not exactly a exciting topic and is hardly going to have you on the edge of your seat. Im just after a simple answer...

Tom Fenton

"Thanks for replying Tom!"

"No problem don't mention it."

Goliath

i cant find anywhere that does them either so i guess its just a case of cut you own, does anyone know the legal side of number plate sizes? as i often see smaller front plates on euro style cars and quite like the look of them although im guessing as the lettering is smaller its not legal?!

pete1986
"Thanks for replying Tom!"

"No problem don't mention it."

Ooooh, touchy! lol sorry mate, do appreciate your reply. Think thats what im gonna have to do though... trim them down and round off the corners i suppose. Cheers

Goliath - Not sure about all the legalities, theres a load of info on the dvla website about it though

Goliath
theres a load of info on the dvla website about it though

For all vehicles manufactured after 1973

Characters Size

Height 79mm

Width 50mm

Stroke 14mm

Side margin 11mm

Top & bottom margin 11mm

Space between characters 11mm

Space between groups 33mm

So the plate can be, at smallest, 22mm wider than correctly sized/spaced letters.

pete1986

Found this website, allows you to specify whatever size you want. Only problem is that the price goes from £18 to £36 plus p+p when you choose this.

http://www.4plates.co.uk

Decided to just order some Std UK ones and trim them

Jrod

Just search for show plates.

si_03

halfolds now do the smaller plates as the have made them legal again.

tom_m
I cut the ends off my standard size plate to make it fit in the recess. I'm not yet sure if I like it or not.

i did this on my old one too. worked a treat and fitted better IMO

went a little bit more extreme on the new one

DSC00577.jpg

and no its not legal in the slightest! :huh:

Edited by tom_m

mogsman

I've cut mine to fit in the recess. It was a standard size plate to start with, but didn't take long to cut to fit.

Sign in to follow this