• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mac210882

Anyone Got A Guide To Getting To The Heater Matrix?

Mac210882

Howdy All

I've tried to use the search function for 'heater matrix', 'matrix', 'coolant leak' etc but I seem to get a variety of unhelpful results. I'm after a guide at getting to, and replacing the heater matrix pipes. I seem to have a problem with one or more of the pipes in the dash, as my footwells are soaking wet after a run. It's only just started happening after it's last outing and hasn't been driven since.

I've been upside down with a spotlamp in the footwells and there doesn't seem to be any easy way at getting at the plumbing, I can't even see where the leak is coming from. In the Haynes manual it's a 4-spanner job, but it doesn't really give you a good guide to actually get under there and get to the pipes

Just a few questions:

1 - is this a common problem on 205's?

2 - how do i get to the heater matrix and pipes, is there a guide anywhere?

3 - does anyone have a diagram showing what does where, like an exploded heater matrix image?

Cheers

Iain

EDIT - I found this, which is quite helpful, but I could do with some pics if possible?

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...0&hl=matrix

Edited by Mac210882

Alastairh

1 - is this a common problem on 205's? Certinly not unheard of.

2 - how do i get to the heater matrix and pipes, is there a guide anywhere?

Drain the cooling system, Remove the 2 rear coolant pipes that go into the bulkhead. Then in side of the car, remove the plastics below the steering colum. Removing the stereo and centre console may help, and also means if your stereo hasn't already died, its less likely to die not being there. Then look for the 2 metal pipes up behind the dash. These go into the heater box. the matrix should be held in with 2 bolts, slide it out, replace all pipes, seals and the unit itself which are around £20-£30 from GSF.

3 - does anyone have a diagram showing what does where, like an exploded heater matrix image?

I don't, but its dead easy once you've got the part in your hand and start taking the car apart. The last matrix i done took sub an hour :)

Al

M_R_205

Is it definatley the matrix? i used to get wet foot wells in my old car when my door seals were gone, also head of problems with sun roofs and condensation.... just a thought

suth82

Check that the drain points under the sills are not blocked, this is the most common cause of water in the footwells, there is a rubber gromit on the sill near the rear arch, stick your finger up it and see if water comes out.

You should be able to tell the difference between coolant water and sill water by the smell alone, failing that a quick touch and taste!!

Paul

Mac210882

Thanks guys - definitely coolant as it's lovely and warm, and is flourescent green :unsure:

Alistair - will give that a go, cheers bud

Iain

Sign in to follow this