• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Issam

Highest Whp Xu9j"x" Turbo ?

Mandic

jup

Issam
i spy wire ringing too.

Is that another term for O-ringing?

tom_m

the rings of wire at the top of the liners? yes :D

Issam
the rings of wire at the top of the liners? yes :)

Meh I wouldnt do that....With a good steel head gasket and ARP head studs everything should be fine without the need to O-ring.Anyone got a lead on those ARP's or is a guy going to have to ask the same question 4 times?

welshpug

have you tried asking ARP?

base-1
Meh I wouldnt do that....With a good steel head gasket and ARP head studs everything should be fine without the need to O-ring.Anyone got a lead on those ARP's or is a guy going to have to ask the same question 4 times?

As said, ask ARP, how do you expect anyone to identify something as intricate as a fastener from a photo with no scaling or any other way of I.D'ing any of it?

Rallycross Xsara's with XU engines run ~550bhp flywheel on a 45mm intake restrictor :)

Issam

Fellas come on,I am a distributor for ARP,do you mates not think that would have been my first option was to call them?

They looked high and low and they list nothing for the XU9J.....

Even though the 405 was in the US,ARP does not list a stud for it.SO that means they are using another stud.Does anyone know the length and thread size of the stock bolt?Maybe I can work backward from that.

Mandic

For XU9j4 bolt:

Total length is 174,5mm with threaded part 98,5mm long. Thread size is M11x1,5. There is also a tappered part at head of the bolt. I can draw it in SolidWorks if You want.

Cheers

Ziga

petert

Why don't you use an iron block anyway? Everything is wrong about big boost in an XU9J4. The liners are prone to rocking, smaller head bolts, you have to o-ring the head, etc. The iron block with its M12 bolts makes a lot more sense. Peugeot thought the same with the T16. Bigger bore, better valve unshrouding, you can o-ring the block etc.

B1ack_Mi16
Why don't you use an iron block anyway? Everything is wrong about big boost in an XU9J4. The liners are prone to rocking, smaller head bolts, you have to o-ring the head, etc. The iron block with its M12 bolts makes a lot more sense. Peugeot thought the same with the T16. Bigger bore, better valve unshrouding, you can o-ring the block etc.

I would actually think the M11 bolts are adequate though, my mates who run quite a few VAG engines upgrade from 1.8 120v to 2.0 with longer stroke and run 600bhp+ with standard size headstuds which in that case are M10. Upgraded to ARP studs though but anyway.

I would say the biggest problem is the liners, but they can probably be made custom in the US pretty cheap if you really wanna make a big boosted alloy bock that'll hold.

niklas
I would say the biggest problem is the liners, but they can probably be made custom in the US pretty cheap if you really wanna make a big boosted alloy bock that'll hold.

It can't be that hard to make sleeves or similar like the honda engine above has!

For example making a one-piece stabilizer in alu which sits just below the deck.

Issam
Total length is 174,5mm with threaded part 98,5mm long. Thread size is M11x1,5.

Awesome!Looking @ the STuds on Page 1 it appears as though the studs ARE Volkswagen 16V unit.Sneeky basterds!

M11 x 1.5 and 175mm according to my catalogue.Does anyone know if the threads are in the block fully or like 10 of the 30 threads are in there?

Why don't you use an iron block anyway?

Oh I plan on! Too many horror stories with the Honda boys running aluminum blocks and blowing a $4000US investment! :excl:

Upgraded to ARP studs though but anyway.

To Raceware,ARP does not make 20V head studs :).

I sent ARP the correct studs over 3 years ago to make for me for the 1.8T 20V.They should be ready within this month (but they have been saying that for 6 months now so who knows) whatever the case I got them made for our crowd so getting some made for Pugs are not problem.

Edited by Issam

Mandic
.Does anyone know if the threads are in the block fully or like 10 of the 30 threads are in there?

Have measured one hole and threaded part is about 36mm long.

Cheers

Ziga

Issam
Have measured one hole and threaded part is about 36mm long.

Cheers

Ziga

Hi Ziga,

thanks

I am going to try a set on the engine I have home or send Bally a set to try on his Mi16.I believe that I can mix and match different studs and pull together a complete kit.How many of you would be interested in a set of ARP head studs?

Batfink

Whats the benefit of studs vs normal bolts? I'm interested though as it looks like I will need to fit a 306 xsi head to my mi16 to raise the compression

welshpug
Whats the benefit of studs vs normal bolts? I'm interested though as it looks like I will need to fit a 306 xsi head to my mi16 to raise the compression

from the wording on previous posts I think Issam's "studs" means bolts to us here in the UK :blush:

If they truly were studs then changing a cylinder head in situ would be near impossible.

Batfink

Well the picture on the first page has two threads so it looks like a nut at the top rather than the bolt head!

welshpug

dammit! I will get a new monitor once I get a job :blush: so Issam what are the benefits? all I know is that it makes it a PITA to work on!

guffe
Rallycross Xsara's with XU engines run ~550bhp flywheel on a 45mm intake restrictor :blush:

Does anyone have detailed specs or build pictures of this kind of engine? I would be very interrested of the internals and block configuration.

edit: Found this allready: http://www.hansen-motorsport.se/kenneth_xsarawrc.asp but any pics from that kind of engine in prosess of construction would be nice.

Edited by guffe

Batfink

to be honest those type of engines tend to be secret between the engine builder and the owner. Certainly you wont get much info from the engine builder unless you are prepared to stump up the cash!

guffe

Yes I know that those engines are kept secret, but IF someone could had some pics of the block...

Just wanted to know how special the Peugeot/Citroen Sport WRC "XU7" engine block is, is there any other similarities to the commercial XU-engines besides the name.

magic
Yes I know that those engines are kept secret, but IF someone could had some pics of the block...

Just wanted to know how special the Peugeot/Citroen Sport WRC "XU7" engine block is, is there any other similarities to the commercial XU-engines besides the name.

i build a xu engine similar to this 500+ coming soon

Mandic

Running XU10 block past 500HP is one thing, but running 500HP on alloy block is another matter.

I dont think that head bolts are a weak link, at least on XU10, know quite a few engines making 400HP+ on std. bolts.

Ziga

base-1

The studs are reusable and stronger. If you tighten a bolt up to whatever torque you put a twist on it all the way down, where as if you are doing up a nut, you don't because it's rotating on the thread. You'd like to think that they are made to finer tolerances aswell and the threads are cut to similarly improved tolerance (although of course you're still fitting them to a Peugeot-threaded piece of metal.....)

base-1
i build a xu engine similar to this 500+ coming soon

How similar? Will it make 500bhp and 500lb.ft with a 45mm restrictor? :D

Sign in to follow this