• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ricky123

106 Gti Engine Into 205 Gti

ricky123

How hard would it be to put a 106 GTi engine into a 205?? My mate has just crashed his 106 an has said i can have the engine cheap so im thinking about putting it in my 205.

GLPoomobile

It'll fit in the boot just fine, but might be a bit of a struggle unless you have a mate to help out.

d-9

U'll need a XS top engine mount, a grinder, probably base model driveshafts, a bit of enthusiasm with wiring and plumbing, but it will fit fairly easily. Do it, 106 GTI engine is brilliant and much better than the XU 8v.

it will need more than enthusiasm and at the end of it all?................

a poxy 120bhp

Sandy

It weighs more than the XU 8v sadly. I know we've been down this road many times, but compared to the XU engine options, the 106GTi engine doesn't stack up well, especially the MA gearbox.

djinuk

looking into doing this myself, what put me off more than anything , was the thought of me spending lots and lots of timing making it fit, and work, and then to now of some one throwing a mi16 into a pug over the weekend and having a extra 40bhp on top as per standard lol

d-9
it will need more than enthusiasm and at the end of it all?................

a poxy 120bhp

This is where the paper specs are misleading, pug underestimated the power figures to keep the insurance costs down, and fitted a french horn to the induction system to reuce power. Throw that away, add a decent airfilter, 4 branch and decat and most make aroudn 140bhp. Plus the paper specs dont really show what a joy the TU16v is to drive, feels really free and rev happy, plus being that bit more modern than the mi, it starts on the key everyday.

Mentioning exhausts reminds me, you'd also need to modify the manifold and stuff to clear the subframe. Before you have the engine off your mate, make sure you unlock the ecu, by starting it up and unplugging the keypad or transponder module while its running.

Jrod

Don't forget you would will need to change the gear linkage position on the subframe aswell.

ricky123

Sounds like alot of work to me as i would probably only have a weekend free to do it in, i mite do it depending on how cheap he is going to let me have the engine.

Thanks for the info about this.

d-9

i probably wouldnt attempt it if there was only one weekend to do it in. It should be possible, but theres a whole lot of technicalitys that come up when you do engine conversions(like having to figure out wiring, or discovering the plumbing doesnt fit).

James_R

but MA gearboxes :s

Mi's are getting rarer these days an s16 or GTi6 (even better in std trim) would be a better idea for bang per buck.

DaveW

Yes ma boxes are wank but so easy to change and they are lighter than the BE's to fit :D

jonnie205

should not be too bad to fit just use all xs stuff like shafts, gear linkages etc its only a std tu with a 16v head. OK they aint to quick as std but bolt the 106 cup rally upgrades on and they go like stink. However the MA boxes are very very bad you will break many. Casings, gears, mounts, diffs its all very weak indeed. They literally fall to pieces if driven hard. A 307 1.4 box i think are BE with an MA bellhousing so you could try and make that fit but dont expect it to happen without lots of thought, time and effort

Jrod
However the MA boxes are very very bad you will break many. Casings, gears, mounts, diffs its all very weak indeed. They literally fall to pieces if driven hard.

I'll correct you slightly.... They literally fall to pieces if driven. :lol::D

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry787385

welshpug

you do get this sound if tinkered with though (i'm sure this is a 16v TU, sam's old car maybe?)

th_MOV03096.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Jrod

8v.

welshpug

still a TU!

danpug

For the work you may as well just go xu16v but the power of the tu16v on paper is very misleading, it'll make a 205 pretty rapid.

Sandy
you do get this sound if tinkered with though (i'm sure this is a 16v TU, sam's old car maybe?)

Sam's 1.6 8v TU with Quaife MA (I'm driving it there!), about 300 miles later (iirc), the box was fubar. And the one in the other 205 Rallye (my old one) didn't last much longer either.

Sign in to follow this