• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtimon

Helmet Standards ?

gtimon

Wanting to get a new helmet for the new coming track day season.

What are the required Standards needed for Track day events.

Most of the helmets seen are to the EC 2205 or ACU Gold, are these OK.

thanks

Tom Fenton

There are no minimum requirements for a track day, or if there are they are never checked, anyway. You could probably get away with a Tuff-Top!! *(who remembers these!)

However you only get one head so my advice is buy the best you can afford. I have a Sparco helmet from Demon Tweeks.

gtimon

Thanks, I've seen these along with the OMP.

But some say the EC 2205 or ACU Gold are the new ECE standards and yet the MSA only allows the old standard BS 6658 type 'A', whether open face or closed.

But as you say, most track day events the helmets are not checked, yet you use the same track as used for events run by the MSA and they are checked.

Most of all of the Motor Cycle helmets are to the new standards and they protect the cyclist.

Edited by gtimon

SPGTi

All car motorsport specific helmets should have type A appoval as this is what the MSA requires. Helmets that have the ECE / ACU Gold are all motorbike helmets and while you could race round a UK circuit on a motorbike in a race series you couldn't compete in a car on the same circuit with one of these helmets.

Motorbike helmets used to carry the type A sticker but don't anymore (unless really old stock).

As stated before on trackdays the check is - yes you have a helmet, I have never had mine checked for integrity or type approval.

Steve

gtimon

I agree with what everyone is saying, that Cars are BS 6658 type 'A' and Motorcycles are EC 2205 and ACU Gold.

But why are you allowed to go on a track, do the same speed as a competitor in a race car on the same track which is controlled by the MSA, and then not require the same spec. Helmet.

And yet the EC Directive is later than the BS standard, and should have better protection spec. I would have thought, whether its for car or motorcycle. Being a motorcyclist may be more open to injury.

Crazy ??

Does anyone know what the difference's are apart from labels, etc.

Baz

Crazy in a way yes, just that trackdays don't have a governing body controlling safety etc.

Sign in to follow this