• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamVester

Crazy Matt Black Idea

jackherer

The pics that cybernck posted are Brick-ITs car, he sprayed it himself in his garage with rattle cans and it looked very good IMO. I wired up his Mi16 shortly after he sprayed it and I was surprised at how well it had turned out.

edit: just read Brick-ITs profile, Last Seen: 31st January 2005 - 11:23 PM, over 3 years ago! I wonder what happened to him? He seemed to build his 205 then dissappear :(

Edited by jackherer

AdamVester

yeah its got to be one of the easyest colors to spray just rub down the car a little primer and a light sand with some fine wet n dry then spray or paint. both leave the same results my friends fezzy looks awsome you cant see strokes or anything its flawless and it took him under 3h to do the whole car. no including the prep work. but yeah its just as easy as spraying on primer but im going with rolling it on as its cheaper and produces the same results but doesnt just wash off as easy when cleaning.

as for the chalk idea i figured it would just be a temp laugh :( if i was going to do it proper i would get it done with white paint.

steve@cornwall

I take it you never expect to sell it! - If you spray it you can revert to a more conventional paintjob later. Imagine flatting off a roller job to re-spray.

Saying that, the matt black pictures surprised me as I thought I would hate it - and I don't. I would really like to see the result of a roller job, though.

Oh, and BTW, your graphite grey doesn't look at all bad to me as it is... plenty of 2 year old cars have mis- shaded panels.

AdamVester

well i got the car for £400 and 13 slabs and i have always been a massive fan i plan to keep the car for as long as i possibly can.

as for the 205 not looking bad i agree with you it looks alright as it is but i want the car to be just how i want so i want the paintwork to be perfect yeah i no painting it with a roller sounds insain but what have i got to loose if i dont like it i just get a respray done its not going to cost me over £80 for all the stuff so yeah nothing to loose there..

i also have a 2ed 205 so even if it does go bad i still have a backup car tills its sorted. i been given an opertunity to make something kinda of unique so might aswell take the chance and give it ago right? then my friend told me he painted his car with a roller (this was befor i seen it) i thought the guy was mad. once i saw the car though i was shocked my mouth droped to the growned and i was drawling. using a roller makes the paint really smooth you dont see strokes or anything its just as good as spraying if not better as you dont get the odd lumps.

he has had the car done like it for a few months now and hasnt needed to touch it up at all so it sounds good. ill keep you all posted on its progress i just asked my parents and they said i can keep the car in there garden while im painting it :( also got a few friends in to help with the prep work.

ill start this project next week hopfully keep you all posted with progress once started.

GLPoomobile

Matt pink would just look like a severely sun bleached cherry red.

The matt black 205s pictured just look like a 'work in progress', i.e awaiting the top coat. I'm just not a fan of the 'rat look' on 205s :blush: .

The only car I've ever seen that looked good in matt black was a VW Gold Mk4, and it was a cover car for Performance VW many years ago. But that was an extremely expensive paint job.

I also recall seeing a handpainted car once when I was a teenager and it looked utter gash. Matt black is one thing, but to apply with a roller and brushes it will just look completely pikey.

Oh, and as for police attention, they'll still pull you over to check the car over because they will probably think it looks so minging it must be unroadworthy :)

AdamVester

lol

Oh, and as for police attention, they'll still pull you over to check the car over because they will probably think it looks so minging it must be unroadworthy

can't really comment on that as your probily right but the whole idea of the rat look is to look beat up but good at the same time its kind of one of them oh that looks crap wait and min look closer um looks nice.. thats what i will be aiming for.. i want to make people unsure if its nice or not. if i achive that i will be very happy i dont like the whole smoothing everything off euro style thing and roof rack and tow bar i just want a differnt kind of a paint job this has got to be the way to go!!!

cybernck

no probs Adam, i have seen it all (and saved it all on my HDD :)).

i wouldn't use this ordinary "dry" matt black though, but "John Deere" black like they use on hotrods.

jackherer> there are actually lots of people who've just dissapeared, Chief being one of them... :blush::)

d-9

Ive been running the matt black 106 for about the last year, never had any problems with the police in it, but do tend to get a few looks and stares and its not v subtle. The paint has been pretty durable, despite being celulose, the only probs ive had are round the filler neck where spilt petrol has marked it, certainly hasnt all fallen off when Ive washed it. The 106 was painted by a mate whos got a fair bit of experience with resprays, he flatted it down with a DA sander, rubbed it down by hand, primed and painted it, over the course of a long weekend.

IMG_5847.sized.jpg

14.jpg

The BMW was a slightly differnet story, I was touching up a few bits on the 106, doing the vents for the grille iirc and a mate suggested that we respray the bmw we were taking on the banger rallye (see here). It seemed like a good idea, as the paint on the bmw was a bit scabby to say the least, but we couldnt really be arsed to rub it down or anything, so we washed it with truck wash to get all the crap off, let it dry out, masked off all the bits we didnt want matt black then painted it. It came out surprisingly well, the roof was a little stripey at first due to my inept spraying, but that settled down in a couple of weeks and the paint lasted ok, we had it for a couple of months like that and again the only places it was going was round the filler neck.

Before:

69_arrived2.jpg

Painting:

81_paint.jpg

Finished:

83_gfx.jpg

20_sharkey.jpg

Edited by d-9

Arahan

Theres a lad around where I work, he's just sprayed his Polo in matt black from rattle cans...and it looks really fookin good to be honest!

What about Satin black?? Is there much difference?

cybernck

is satin half way between matt and gloss or is it the same thing as gloss black?

if the former, then that's the way to go, imho :blush:.

jackherer
jackherer> there are actually lots of people who've just dissapeared, Chief being one of them... :):)

Its true, I'm trying to find a certain DrSeuss as it happens :blush:

Arahan
is satin half way between matt and gloss or is it the same thing as gloss black?

if the former, then that's the way to go, imho :blush:.

Agreed! I dont know about the side trims and arches though, the shinier black doesnt seem to suit it IMO, but I cant see painting them the same satin black would look right either personally!

paul_portsmouth

if you want it to last you can always use a matt laqure

hodgy

ill have a pic of a matt black 205 in 2 weeks when mine gets done!! :lol:

tom_m
Matt Black can look AWESOME!

Check

It

Out

that's satin rather than matt tho isn't it?

sNaKePiT

My mate done his mk1 Clio in Matt Black!!! Just go and get the big cans of Satin Black primer from Halfords, looks really good, and cheap. You will have to notify the DVLA to change the colour though. I'll get some pictures and post them up. :D:)

toddydal

matt black can look really good done properly,but you still need to do the prep work right otherwise itl look s*ite and not last,i bet when you get close up to all them cars therl look s*it, fu*k me shakey cans are you all mental or what.if you spray matt black from a spray gun you need to put a matt clearcoat over the top,this will make it really smooth and also protect it,and also in the future when you want it back to standard shiny paint no bodyshops will want to touch it

Peetypug

dont know if this is matt or satin, it won the custom and performance car show in limerick in 2006

black corsa

black corsa 2

its a little bit chavvy looking B)

Arahan
and also in the future when you want it back to standard shiny paint no bodyshops will want to touch it

Why not? How is it any different than a normal paint job? Matt or metallic, for a respray it would still have to be sanded down and the old paint removed anyway wouldn't it?

AdamVester

toddydal if i wanted to go to another color i would just paint it again :ph34r:. the paint im going to use is ment for metal and they actually do paint cars with the stuff mustongs, doge's retro cars like that its got some rust treating stuff in it to protect the bodywork it will probily protect it more than spray.. if i wanted a bodyshop to do the work i wouldnt just give them the car like it anyway i would do the prep work myself so they would just have to spray it.. its not hard to fix bodywork and take of a bit of paint saves a few £££ aswell..

anyways the cars at my dads atm in the garden looking sorry for itsself no bumpers, lights, ect ect... i should be starting the painting next week or the week after its going to be all prep work this week.

toddydal

if a cars been done in shakey cans then i doubt it that its been prept right in the ist place and a good bodyshop wont want the hassle of all the flakey paint when sanding it down plus itll probly react with the new paint and a body shop wont want to strip all the matt black off the car as thatl cost a fotune,if you want your car matt black take it to a good bodyshop and have it done right,i cant believe any 1 would want to put any shakey can paint on ther 205,it just looks a mess,they just splat out everywer

toddydal

i know ive seen all the american cars done in it as well as porches and mercs,but like a said therv been done from factory and to get the same finnish its best to take it to a bodyshop,if youve done the prep work b4 and you know what your doing then yes you will save money doing the prep your self,but get it sprayed by a proper bodyshop,if youve sprayed b4 and got a compresor than spray it,dont shakey can it

Arahan
if a cars been done in shakey cans then i doubt it that its been prept right in the ist place and a good bodyshop wont want the hassle of all the flakey paint when sanding it down plus itll probly react with the new paint and a body shop wont want to strip all the matt black off the car as thatl cost a fotune,if you want your car matt black take it to a good bodyshop and have it done right,i cant believe any 1 would want to put any shakey can paint on ther 205,it just looks a mess,they just splat out everywer

Surely the bodyshop wouldnt mind it costing a fortune though....as it would be the customer who had to pay?

Sign in to follow this