• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
number2301

Removing The Standard Gearknob

number2301

How do you get the standard gear knob off? I've recently removed a horrible metal after market one from my car only to find out that the gear stick had been cut down. So I've not got a new standard gear knob and a gear stick with an old battered gear knob on and want to swap the gear knobs over. Is this possible with it out of the car? Is it just a matter of pulling it off? I've given it a go but it doesn't seem to want to budge!

GLPoomobile

You'll probably need to grip the shaft ( B) ) in a vice, cos it needs some force doing it in the car ( :lol: ). At least with it out the car you should hopefully avoid the embarrassment of smacking yourself in the face as you pull it off :D

Oh and you need to twist it 90 degrees either way as you tug on it :D

These topics are a goldmine for innuendo :)

Anthony

Twist and pull lots

Sometimes they're a bit stubborn, but should be possible out of the car - just clamp the gear lever in a vice or similar.

number2301

Cheers, I'll give that a go. Would it be easier in the car barring any face/knob contact related incidents B) ?

These topics are a goldmine for innuendo :)

You're telling me, I had to be really careful about my wording!

Edited by number2301

steve@cornwall

Do you have a be1 or be3 'box?

Arahan
Do you have a be1 or be3 'box?

Is there a difference with regards to removing a BE1 knob?

steve@cornwall
Is there a difference with regards to removing a BE1 knob?

Errr,,no,,,,, I mis-read the post and thought he wanted a stick and knob :blush::lol:

dave_gti

gear knobs are a pain, i had one when i bought my Vectra a couple of years back, it was fairly loose and it kept untwisting, and my girlfriend tightened it one day (and shes not a Russian shot putter or anything) and since that day it never came off :|. i wanted to change it so i tried a wrench etc, and it just crushed the gear knob and it wouldn't turn, so i gave up in case i did some damage to the car

Rich_p

quite simply yank it ;)

number2301

If anyone's interested I managed to get the gear knob off with it out of the car, my girlfriend pulled one end while I pulled the other. :ph34r: