• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edthedrummer

Possible Track Car Project

edthedrummer

I have my dturbo and my 1.6Gti engine as in my sig, i was planning on driving the diesel after i pass my test but due to redonculous insurance costs i can no more. So my dad has suggested putting the two together.

Question is, will the 1600 engine drop straight into the diesel? does anything have to be changed? apart from the fuel tank and lines etc.

What else do people suggest for a fun track day car? nothing too serious, i don't have a big budget.

Cheers

Ted.

richsmells

Umm... 205 diesels all use the XU engine, which is the same as the Gti. You can change the subframe for the gti spec front ARB, suspension components and even the rear beam.

Bearing in mind you'll still have to insure it as a modified 205 diesel with a Gti engine, I don't see the point myself.

Batfink

going on the condition of my gentry the 'lesser' models seem to be generally in better condition

richsmells

Agreed, a sorrento Gentry with a 16v XU conversion would be the only "lesser" model i'd consider unless going for a TU engined screamer. Perhaps a champagne one, beige leather interior with a flat cap and walking stick on the parcel shelf.

edthedrummer

i'm doing it because i have a diesel 205 car, a gti engine and gti wheels, i was looking to sell the car, but then that left me with wheels and a motor so i'm now looking at putting them all together.

i wouldn't have got more than £20 for the car anyway.

Tom Fenton

To be perfectly honest if you are struggling to insure a 205 TD I think you will also struggle to insure what will be classed as a modified 1600 petrol 205. If I were you I'd go and look at a 1.0 205 or 106 or similar to get you mobile for an acceptable (but still most likely extortianate) cost in your first year of driving.

danpug

Out of interest what sort of quotes are you getting for the diesel? Have you got any with the 1.6 engine?

edthedrummer

quotes ranged from 2.5k up to 4k, no quotes were got for a 1600.

However, i didn't ask about insurance, i asked whether it was possible, I would probably have my dad insure and drive it, either way i'm not bothered.

Most likely i would end up selling it as a track day car after i did it. who knows.

brianthemagical

Any thing is possible. what your proposing is positively easy. would be even easier if you used carbs. make sure you get proof of the 1.6 rebuild, otherwise you'll possibly loose money on it.

keith
quotes ranged from 2.5k up to 4k, no quotes were got for a 1600.

However, i didn't ask about insurance, i asked whether it was possible, I would probably have my dad insure and drive it, either way i'm not bothered.

Most likely i would end up selling it as a track day car after i did it. who knows.

Thats completely ridiculous. 2.5K???? how old are you?

Like said above you would have to class your car has having an engine transplant, which normally is a no no going by your quotes stated!

To be honest i would try get a little 106 derv, or AX, something small and start getting some NCB.

unless your made of money B)

edthedrummer
Any thing is possible. what your proposing is positively easy. would be even easier if you used carbs. make sure you get proof of the 1.6 rebuild, otherwise you'll possibly loose money on it.

i will be rebuilding it myself, so the only proof i will be able to provide will be receipts for the new valves and other parts, as well as an online diary of the process on another forum.

Keith, i'm 16 currently, 17 in april. thats why they dont like me. 17 year old, no experience and a 1.8t, doesn't matter its diesel. This won't be my daily driver, i know that much, it would probably be finished end of this year really, but i won't be driving it on the road for a while i guess.

i would like to dabble with carbs or bike tb's, we'll see B)

Edited by edthedrummer

Sign in to follow this