• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Is My Alternator / Batery On The Way Out?

M_R_205

in the cold dark mornings when i first start my car the lights all flicker like mad untill iv done a few miles then they settle down, now the car cranks perfectly which is why im un-sure, and like i say it clears up after a few miles which makes me thing its not the alternator :S

unfortunatley i dont have a volt meter or spare batery to try so im after some opinions before i go out and spend some monney!!

Cheers ;)

Paul

damien

i did read somewhere that the alternator doesnt start to charge the battery until the engine revs over 3k or something like that, if your keeping the revs low then your lights will be running off the battery and nothing will be charging it which is why your lights may be flickering.

the idea works on mine as the dash lights are dim until i get on the motorway and the rpm goes up, then the dials are alot brighter.

welshpug

what damien described is what happens when the smaller excitor wire isnt plugged in

either that or the rectifier pack is on its last legs.

Edited by welshpug

M_R_205
what damien described is what happens when the smaller excitor wire isnt plugged in

is this wire the small spade conector thats on the outside or is there another wire somwhere?

Either way its probably an alternator fault??

Cheers

Sign in to follow this