• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

Inner Wing Metal Water Pipe - Bolts/studs

Masekwm

I've ordered a new metal water pipe for when I find a replacement engine, so I went to remove the old one today and it came off in my hand. There is the remains of whatever held it on stuck in the wing, however I've no idea what they once were, do they come out? Are they screws?

How do I remove them from the wing and replace them. or is it not important and jubilee clips + the 2 hoses hold the pipe in place?

Thanks!

I've tried a search but unfortunately can't find the solution :ph34r:

Tom Fenton

They are 2 off M6 phillips head ph3 screws into captive nuts. You'll need to drill them out and retap ideally. Needs securing to something solid as the belt pulley and tyre on full lock are not far away.

Mikey S
I've ordered a new metal water pipe for when I find a replacement engine, so I went to remove the old one today and it came off in my hand. There is the remains of whatever held it on stuck in the wing, however I've no idea what they once were, do they come out? Are they screws?

How do I remove them from the wing and replace them. or is it not important and jubilee clips + the 2 hoses hold the pipe in place?

Thanks!

I've tried a search but unfortunately can't find the solution :(

theres usually 2 screws that hold the pipe to the inner wing but after about 18 years of s*ite they refuse to come undone or round off. if your carefull you can drill them out and re-tap the holes.

Masekwm
after about 18 years of s*ite

22 years :(

I've never drilled out a bolt before, so looks like another thing to learn about. Retapping sounds easier though.

Good point about the other bits close by, I'd not considered that.

Tom Fenton

Get plenty of duck oil round them, you may be lucky and get them out. I managed to undo both on my 89 car recently. You will need a decent fitting screwdriver though.

Masekwm

There is nothing left of the heads, just two bits of metal sticking out of the wing. But I'll try using Plusgas which I saw mentioned earlier whilst searching to free them

Mikey S
There is nothing left of the heads, just two bits of metal sticking out of the wing. But I'll try using Plusgas which I saw mentioned earlier whilst searching to free them

if there enough of the stud sticking out you maybe able to get some molegrips on them and turn them out like that.

Masekwm
if there enough of the stud sticking out you maybe able to get some molegrips on them and turn them out like that.

I will give that a go tomorrow, I'll have to get some smaller molegrips though.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Masekwm

Sign in to follow this