• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Tyre Wear After Track Day

TaffyTim

I went to Brands hatch last week and for economy purposes i used my new Yokohama's tyres on the front and my old Toyo Proxies on the rear.

When taking the Toyos off There was alot of melted rubber on the tread pattern but mainly on the inside of both wheels, here are a couple of pics to show you what i mean. The wheels are placed as the were on the car and the view is taken as if you were standing behind the car looking to the front.

BrandsHatch25thJan08-RearTyresMelt2.jpg

BrandsHatch25thJan08-RearTyresMelt.jpg

As im still new to trackdays Im wondering if this a normal wear/melt pattern, and wondered if it suggest incorrect tyre pressures.

The day was a mild dry day with no rain at all.

Ta muchly.

Tim

Martin W

Thats normal on the rears, it come off after a few road miles after a trackday

Henry 1.9GTi

assuming its front wheel drive car then its usual to pick up lots of rubber from the track onto the rear tyres. They dont ever work as hard as the fronts so dont tend to rub it off. After fitting a big rear ARB to mine the rears did seem cleaner and hotter! as the rear was working alot harder.

Miles

Try adjusting the pressures next time, I always had mine show even wear and blueing after a 15 min session, You should see this on the front also

TaffyTim
Try adjusting the pressures next time, I always had mine show even wear and blueing after a 15 min session, You should see this on the front also

OK I havent messed with pressures yet, Ive just left them high er on the back than on the front when cold. If im only getting this inside rubber should i up the pressure or down it?

C_W

Although newish road tyres can "melt", most of the rubber, as already said, is actually rubber picked up from the track and stuck on the tyre. You could peel it off but it does wear off after a while.

Is that Toyo T1S thing as I noticed that on some I used for a bit but have never seen it happen on other tyres (well think it did it on old F1GSD2s).

M_R_205

I had a set of super budget Kuhmo estra`s (spelling??) do this on the road, but after a few miles driving sencibly they went back to normal...

swordfish210

08042007299.jpg

this was after half a day at Llandow on my XT B)

Sign in to follow this