• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Solid Beam Mounts

kate205gti

lol got to be useful for some things ;)

its a 309 beam reconned by Anthony about 3 years ago so Im hoping wont be toooo bad! but have heard the horror stories so want to be fully prepared lol ;)

GLPoomobile
lol got to be useful for some things ;)

its a 309 beam reconned by Anthony about 3 years ago so Im hoping wont be toooo bad! but have heard the horror stories so want to be fully prepared lol ;)

Well that depends if Anthony touched the bushes when he did it. The beam I've referred to was overhauled by Anthony only about a year prior to me doing the bushes, but he obviously saw no reason to replace the original bushes when he did the refurb. The rear bushes were in mint condition when I took them off, but I guess the front had never been replaced.

Super Josh
The rear bushes were in mint condition when I took them off, but I guess the front had never been replaced.

Well the rear ones always shear, so they get replaced. But the front ones only seem to get replaced when someone swaps to solid mounts.

Josh

pip470

Just a pic for information Phill

post-8104-1201892728_thumb.jpg

stu_woac

mine was easy to do it envoled me taking it off my car putting it in my van taking it to my dads workshop that he works in,

getting him to put it on his 12 ton press and pressed then out had to cut one end off tho so in would press out easy,,

I like big tools

Edited by stu_woac

v6Max

Just a tip for getting the new ones in - if your luck is anything like mine you'll find that they won't be easy to get in with just a soft faced mallet so go to B&Q (other DIY shops are available) pick up some 10mm threaded rod and some 10mm nuts.

Stick a couple of the 10mm nuts on the end of the rod and lock them against one another, thread a largish socket onto the rod then thread the rod + socket + nuts through the bushes. Add another socket and then finally another nut - tighten this nut and the sockets will pull together pulling the bushes into the beam.

petert

No wonder England is no longer an industrial power! The easiest way to remove the orginal is with a hole saw and electric drill. I can't recall exactly which size, but obviously smaller than the bore and be careful no to go off centre and nick the bore. Drill from each side and they just fall out.

CosKev

Good info B)

How much vibration/noise do you get extra with thses fitted on a road car please?????

stu_woac

alot lol

Alastairh
Well the rear ones always shear, so they get replaced. But the front ones only seem to get replaced when someone swaps to solid mounts.

Josh

Id say thats probably about right B)

James_R

with full interior I've not noticed the difference.

GLPoomobile
with full interior I've not noticed the difference.

Absolutely. All I had was a very slight hum like a rear wheel bearing on it's way out. That could have been a rear wheel bearing on it's way out though, I guess :):)

hodgy

i pored petrol on mine and left them to burn out!

kate205gti

haha! I get told off for setting fire to things :) and its in a wooden barn! :)

hodgy
haha! I get told off for setting fire to things :) and its in a wooden barn! :)

that would make it interesting if you set it on fire

kate205gti

well that wasnt so hard :D not quite finished yet thou ;)

hardest part was undoing the bolts holding the brackets on! they were solid :lol: rubber came out with hammer and chisel/screwdriver which was quite therapeutic and the inner casing got disassembled with a sharp screwdriver and hammer (gave up with the hacksaw!)

only thing now is getting the solid ones in - have copper greased and boshed with rubber hammer, and with proper hammer and bit of wood but they still not all the way in yet :( more boshing needed methinks!

d-9

If theyre not going in smoothly, check that u havent damaged the casting they sit in when knocking out the old ones, its surprisingly easy to put a big gouge in it with a chisel, if you have, smooth it out with emery cloth or a file. If theyre still being a sod to get in, try using the bolt to pull them into place, using washers or sockets as spacers.

GLPoomobile

Did you clean up the hole before trying to fit the new bushes? I gave mine a good clean up and smoothed it all off, bit of copper grease and some tapping with the rubber mallet and they went in nice and easy.

kate205gti

will try removing and cleaning - then more boshing! :P

i also managed to hit my knuckles with the hammer as well :huh:

dsc02708zw7.jpg

im sure its not supposed to be that colour!! :wub::P:blink:

GLPoomobile
will try removing and cleaning - then more boshing! :P

i also managed to hit my knuckles with the hammer as well :huh:

dsc02708zw7.jpg

im sure its not supposed to be that colour!! :wub::P:blink:

Ha ha! Glad I'm not the only one! Think I smacked my left hand with the mallett about 50 times, and the following day my right wrist was dead, some sort of RSI type of thing from the repeated impacts of the mallet sending shocks up my arm. Boo hoo, poor me.

Oh sorry, this was supposed to be your sympathy bit, wasn't it? LOL :P

kate205gti

haha! u plank :D gimme sympathy biatch :P

it doesnt actually hurt anyways - its just quite comical colour :wub:

what did u clean up hole with anyways? sandpaper wouldnt work would it? not sure ive got a round file

GLPoomobile
haha! u plank :D gimme sympathy biatch :P

it doesnt actually hurt anyways - its just quite comical colour :wub:

what did u clean up hole with anyways? sandpaper wouldnt work would it? not sure ive got a round file

I can't quite remember, but whatever solution we used would have been 100% gypo! :P

Think I just whizzed around the inside with a drill carefully (had no wire brush attachment unfortunately) and used one of those small brushes with a stiff wire end, and maybe some sandpaper. It was literally just a quick ponce about to get rid of any crud.

d-9

Depends what sort of sandpaper u've got, I found some cloth backed sandpaper that got rid of the minor chiseling and all the rusty crud, but if its badly chiseld u might need a round file.

Sign in to follow this