• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Solid Beam Mounts

kate205gti

without wanting to be accused of being thick.. :) Im after some advice on fitting solid beam mounts please?

ive never done this before could someone tell me what tools i would and any useful tips to make things easier? :D have done a search but couldnt find anything :(

cheers :lol:

C_W

I *think* the hardest part is getting the old ones out (from the front of the subframe at least anyway), the new ones should just tap in from either side? The rear square rubber mounts should just unbolt and be replaced with the solid ones.

kate205gti

cheers chris :D do i need a blow torch? or can i get them out without one do u know?

although is a good excuse to buy a blow torch :)

Edited by kate205gti

tom_m
cheers chris :D do i need a blow torch? or can i get them out without one do u know?

you saw what i had to do to mine didn't you?

kate205gti

no i only saw u in the field swearing a lot lol :lol: didnt really pay attention to what you were swearing at :) think we were busy cutting up the clio at the time :D

BERTMAN

its the bushes on the front that are the b****** to get out, i broke about 6 screwdrivers removing them from my last beam haha, a blow torch would be alot easier probably

GLPoomobile
cheers chris :lol: do i need a blow torch? or can i get them out without one do u know?

A blowtorch, a f***ing big mallet, some chisels, plenty of old screwdrivers, a selection of punches, a hacksaw, maybe a power drill too, and plenty of brute force and determination. That's if you re unlucky, but if your bushes are feeling generous they may come out with less of a struggle.

You could always just use an Anthony instead though :D

James_R

4-5mm drill bits x4+

drill between the two metal sleaves through the rubber

punch centre bit out

place hacksaw blade in hole, connect hacksaw

saw carefully though the outter metal shell, but not in to the cast beam tube bit

deform metal shell and punch out (need a flat blase screwdriver or a drift even better

repeat on other side.

lightly grease the nylon replacements, beat in with a plastic hammer, not a metal one it will crap them up.

refit as usual.

Rear require some brute force on 309 beam'd 205 to get the arms to move a bit to line up the holes.

Super Josh
Rear require some brute force on 309 beam'd 205 to get the arms to move a bit to line up the holes.

Also the same on a 205 beam if you have the older style non-offset rear mounts :)

Josh

kate205gti
A blowtorch, a f***ing big mallet, some chisels, plenty of old screwdrivers, a selection of punches, a hacksaw, maybe a power drill too, and plenty of brute force and determination. That's if you re unlucky, but if your bushes are feeling generous they may come out with less of a struggle.

You could always just use an Anthony instead though :)

haha thats cheating :D ive got a day off next week so was going to attempt it myself :lol:

do you know if the new ones fit in easily enough? ie: is the hassle just getting the old ones out? i think i have access to a blow torch i can borrow :( will try and get it for next week coz that sounds easier!

James_R
Also the same on a 205 beam if you have the older style non-offset rear mounts :)

Josh

Find them fine to use an arm and leg to pry the 205 beams open, trying to copmpress the 309 ones is a PITA!!!!

No kean on blowtoarch method, adding head to the bit the bearing sits in on the shaft can't be too good. given there's simpler less messy ways to go about it.

You cna also omit the drilling and just punch the middles out, but it's hit or miss if they play ball, certainly it's 50/50 with the beams I've done so far :D

pacey205

The hassle is defintely getting the old ones out, took me a while. I drilled the rubber, punched out the centre and then hacksawed through the outer and bent/punched it out with screwdrivers/chisels/punches. New ones got a coating of copperslip and were knocked in with arubber mallet, piece of piss. Rear ones are easy.

Michael

Alastairh

Basically, brute force, various chisels and a blow torch.

Can't be much more than wish bone buses which i've done a few sets.

Can lend a hand next week if im free...

Al

kate205gti
:) thanks Al :D will give u a buzz later anyways xx

tom_m

i'm gonna try my air chisel on the remaining shells i have to remove, watch this space for a '205 beam tube wanted' post :)

James_R

I'll text ant now ;)

Alastairh
I'll text ant now ;)

I better get the impact gun off charge whilst he packs vital tools (sledge hammer) in the boot of the mundeo ;)

skeggyrik

Real sh*tter of job to do without blow torch. I did it with hacksaws a hammer, a colt chisel and sharpened screwdriver.

Takes forever, is very awkward to get started using the hacksaws on the centre piece. I imagine burning themout is easier but not so good for your health!

Anthony uses a holesaw I think. Sounds like an excellent idea to get the centre piece out. It halves the job.

Good luck

post-8632-1201881160_thumb.jpg

Oh the joy!!!! Have fun ;)

kate205gti
I better get the impact gun off charge whilst he packs vital tools (sledge hammer) in the boot of the mundeo ;)

lol i dont think the mundanos going anywhere for a while ;):P

GLPoomobile

This topic is a bit vindicating for me.

I've lost count of the number of times I've posted my one experience of doing this and been told I was unlucky (or just plain inept), and that it's really not that difficult and that that the bushes usually punch out easily enough with a suitable drift.

This the first time I've seen this many replies to this type of topic and everyone agrees it's a bugger of a job ;)

McPikie

Its because Kate has tits ;)

All Praise The GTI

ive done this twice now and yes the first time took forever but the second time i knew what to do and it didnt take long at all.

my method was:

little blowtorch to melt /make the rubber easier to gouge out with an old screwdriver. only need remove enough so that you can get some grips on the center sleeve then as its hot it makes twisting and pulling the sleeve out easy. then use old screwdriver to remove rest of rubber. then as james said stick hacksaw blade in hole,connect to saw and cut through outter sleeve. then use chisel/punch to deform sleeve and knock/ pull it out. its miles easier if you have a chisel with a good fine edge so you can knock the flat edge of the sleeve from around the casing. then just use a soft mallet to knock the new nylon ones in.

good luck ;)

jackherer
No kean on blowtoarch method, adding head to the bit the bearing sits in on the shaft can't be too good.

My thoughts precisely, its an OK technique on wishbone bushes but on the rear beam its not a good idea unless you do it before you replace the bearings.

GLPoomobile

I'm just going to add this for info only........the reason mine where such a c*nt is because the outer sleeve was so corroded in that it may as well have been welded in place. So when people say "cut through the sleeve and then chisel it out", I have no doubt that that is a perfectly normal way to do it, but with mine they simply refused to budge. The first half of one sleeve came out nicely, but the rest where determined they where staying in ;) I know from what others have said that I was unlucky though.

jackherer
the outer sleeve was so corroded in that it may as well have been welded in place.

I had one like that recently, it was a 309 beam from a D reg car which means they had been there for 21 years!

Sign in to follow this