• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
averyaaron1979

Views Wanted

averyaaron1979

i have a bit of a quandry at the moment,

i am currently building a track toy in the form of a 309 gti, i am trying to lighten her as best as possible. the only problem i have is that i am trying to decide what engine to use in her.

she currently has a stock 1900 8v in there and i have a 100k mi16 in my 405 which is getting broken.

now do i keep the 8v and work on her? junk the 8v and use the mi16 but try to minmise the risk of oil surge problems that i may encounter or do i forget those two and start again with something else?

i would love something with a fair bit or low down grunt as i did think about using her for. i did like the idea of mad's 8v supercharged lump and wondered whether to build one of these or not??

ideas please to help me make my mind up

GLPoomobile
i have a bit of a quandry at the moment,

i am currently building a track toy in the form of a 309 gti, i am trying to lighten her as best as possible. the only problem i have is that i am trying to decide what engine to use in her.

she currently has a stock 1900 8v in there and i have a 100k mi16 in my 405 which is getting broken.

now do i keep the 8v and work on her? junk the 8v and use the mi16 but try to minmise the risk of oil surge problems that i may encounter or do i forget those two and start again with something else?

i would love something with a fair bit or low down grunt as i did think about using her for. i did like the idea of mad's 8v supercharged lump and wondered whether to build one of these or not??

ideas please to help me make my mind up

We used to have a member called Sean McKeown (not sure if I have spelled his name right) who was a bit weight obsessive, and he used a 1.9 8v that was heavily worked on. The head that was built for him was fairly impressive and he had plenty of torque, but had problems with it not long after. He then had his head rebuilt by another company (QEP?). I have no idea what happened since, and unfortunately you'll find no information on here as he got banned from the forum.

He has a website, which hopefully someone can give the name of as I can't remember. I think if you could find some information regarding his setup then it would possibly impress you enough to go down the same route (funds permitting).

danpug

I can't remember what torque his engine made but its an expensive route to go.

Tom Fenton

180bhp from an Mi16 or GTI-6 equals a virtually standard engine with a few simple bolt on mods.

180bhp from a 1.9 8v engine equals a heavily modified engine with a lot of expensive mods.

I have read a few threads about the car mentioned above, and to be honest still remain to be convinced of the 8v route. Yes it has a very impressive torque curve, but in terms of lbft per ££ then does the torque it has really justify the cost? I personally don't think so. If in a competitive race series then perhaps I could see the benefit of spending so much. But for a trackday car I don't get it. You are out there to have fun, my idea of fun is spending £1000 on trackdays and £200 on the car over a year, not the other way around.

Edited by Tom Fenton

averyaaron1979
We used to have a member called Sean McKeown (not sure if I have spelled his name right) who was a bit weight obsessive, and he used a 1.9 8v that was heavily worked on. The head that was built for him was fairly impressive and he had plenty of torque, but had problems with it not long after. He then had his head rebuilt by another company (QEP?). I have no idea what happened since, and unfortunately you'll find no information on here as he got banned from the forum.

He has a website, which hopefully someone can give the name of as I can't remember. I think if you could find some information regarding his setup then it would possibly impress you enough to go down the same route (funds permitting).

cheers for that i have read seans threads on here and psooc and he's gone to the extreme but i believe he's now going to be sprinting his 8v this season.

i am not after quite as much as him, he wants big bhp and little weight i just want a reliable engine that i can get to near enough around 200 without breaking the bank or making it so tempremental it breaks every outing!!

i have read about the 406 a.8 16v and don't know if this may be the route to take really or go smaller with another gti engine.

i would use my mi but i am worried it will go bang and i will have to spend shed loads fixing it each time.

or am i asking too much now-a-days

averyaaron1979

cheers for the replies guys over this, think i may stick to a basic engine like the 406 mentioned about by sandy and find out to what extent this can be modified.

would love to go down the force inducted route, ie supercharger but i have no idea as to whether it will take this??

i am sure some knowledgeable soul will inform me it wont take that much abuse!!

averyaaron1979

being trying to find out more info on the xu7j4 engine and am i right i have read that a gti6 inlet and exhaust manifold fit, that combined with the throttle body, gti6 cams this should be a worthwhile upgrade??

thinking about doing that with a ported head, injectors and something like a megasquirt and that all this combined would be a good engine?

or is it worth me fitting tb's to this?

how would the engine with no tb's stand with a supercharger??

from what i can read it seems an eaton m45 charger should dope or is that not the case?

danpug

With the mods mentioned you would need aftermarket management as well. I've got a 1.8 16v bottom end that has an 8v head on it, its being turbo'd as we speak so perhaps hang about and see what results i get. And so far it hasn't been THAT expensive, alot of that is down to using the 8v head though.

averyaaron1979
With the mods mentioned you would need aftermarket management as well. I've got a 1.8 16v bottom end that has an 8v head on it, its being turbo'd as we speak so perhaps hang about and see what results i get. And so far it hasn't been THAT expensive, alot of that is down to using the 8v head though.

dan i shall but can i ask why did you get rid of the 16v head and go with an 8v??

i am looking at a stock motor to start with and then work from there. the inlet and exhaust i read i thought didn't need new management, but i suspect the cams will

what ahve you done to the bottom end to strengthen it then?

danpug

You'll need proper management for the cams most likely. I went 8v because the turbo exhaust manifolds are a silly amount cheaper in comparison to 16v's and you can get so much power from an 8v so i didn't see the point and expense. I'm doing no bottom end mods, running a bar of boost it should be nice and reliable. Compression will be 9:1 for good off boost driving. Check out vern's 1.9 8v turbo engine for some inspiration. :lol:

averyaaron1979
You'll need proper management for the cams most likely. I went 8v because the turbo exhaust manifolds are a silly amount cheaper in comparison to 16v's and you can get so much power from an 8v so i didn't see the point and expense. I'm doing no bottom end mods, running a bar of boost it should be nice and reliable. Compression will be 9:1 for good off boost driving. Check out vern's 1.9 8v turbo engine for some inspiration. :lol:

verns is the 240bhp turbo lump which is standard is it not?

danpug

Standard head and bottom end, bar machined pistons. Shows the potential of the 8v.

averyaaron1979

dan i have tried once again to find the thread for verns 8vturbo and i am lost now.... can't see the wood for the trees

danpug

Yeah i've searched again for it and it seems to have vanished! Drop him a pm, i'm sure he wanted mind explaining all.

Sign in to follow this