• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Diesel In A Petrol........

Tom Fenton

Mate of mine has just phoned up saying he has just filled his Pug 107 up with £40 odd quids worth of diesel. The car is a petrol model.

He says that it was really low on petrol, warning lights were on, and from a quick google the tank is 35L meaning there can't have been much petrol left in there for him to get £40-odd of diesel in it.

Luckily he realised what he'd done and hasn't turned the key, so the fuel pump hasn't even primed and pushed diesel through into the filter etc.

My plan is to pump what is in his tank straight into my Audi (TDI, non common rail) tank, then fill his car up with fresh unleaded before starting it up. I'll then fill my Audi up to the top with diesel to dilute whatever petrol might be in there.

Anyone got any reasons why we shouldn't do this? I can't see how a few litres of petrol in 30-odd litres of diesel will have much effect on my Audi? Similarly there shouldn't be much problem with the Peugeot if we get as much out as we can?

pug_ham

I personally can't see any problem with doing it that way.

Should work a treat & save your mate from the bill he'd have got if he had driven it until it stopped. :)

If they've only been mixed in the tank & you have a suitable container, won't they naturally seperate overnight so you wouldn't be putting any u/l through your diesel?

Graham.

Popshot

As above a non common-rail diesel should consume that without fuss.

Henry 1.9GTi

i put 20 quid of bp ultimate diesel in mine :) and started it! ran for 10 secs or so.

after putting 12v across the pump and getting as much out as we could, then filled to the brim with petrol and was all good.

good luck.

Henry.

Ryan

Diesel in a petrol isn't nearly so bad as the other way round.

Get as much out of the tank as you can. It might not be so easy to get a hose down the filler neck to pump/siphon it out so you might have to take a fuel hose off somewhere and use the fuel pump to pump it out. The pump won't be damaged by doing that so don't worry about that. Then fill the car up with petrol and it should be fine.

Anthony

Helped a couple of friends out when they've done similar - older diesels like yours will happily run with a small percentage of petrol in the fuel, and the 107 shouldn't be affected - might be a touch smokey or hesitant for the first tank full if you don't drain off all the diesel, but will be fine after that.

snillet

If you look well into the owners manual for an older diesel, you might even see a recommendation to mix in a small amout of petrol when running it in really cold weather to help it start easier and prevent clogging in the fuel lines.

I have seen it but i can´t remember which make it was, anyhow....that was just a fun fact.

A friend of mine actually drove his old fumy worn out Sierra on a mix of 70/30 % petrol/diesel :blush:, silly boy.... ran very very oddly and smelled like you do not want to know it but he actually got a lower fuelcost per mile out of it :)

Rob_the_Sparky

Petrol or parafin in Diesel used to be a trick used to stop diesel waxing in tanks at low temperature. Not necessary now as the fuel companies change the fuel in winter to stop waxing. Anyway, it clearly was never a problem with older engines so go for it...

Tom Fenton

Hi chaps thanks for the replies, after a lot of struggling last night, we managed to get the diesel pumped out of the 107, it took some doing let me tell you, the anti-siphoning stuff really means you cannot get a pipe down there to pump it out! Not like a 205 where you can just stuff a hose down the filler neck. In the end we had to remove the filler neck and go into the tank that way.

Anyway, with the 107 filled up with fresh petrol, we fired it up, at first it was OK with the petrol in the lines, then it started misfiring and stalled. cranking it over it wouldn't re-start, but after 2mins of cranking it in 10 second bursts it started to show signs of firing. Another 2 mins of persevering with it had it firing 3 or 4 times then cutting out, a further 2 mins had it running roughly but continually, 2 mins of that and it would then idle with the occasional misfire. My mate then took it gently around the block, came back to say it was running fine, and we left it idling for 10mins sweet as a nut with no smoke out of the back either.

My audi got nearly 40L of the diesel out of the 107, topped it up with fresh diesel at the garage, its running absolutely fine.

Rippthrough

And you got 40 litres of diseasal, bonus

Tom Fenton

You got it, everybody is happy.

Sign in to follow this