• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Key Snapped Help

djinuk

ok folks, i am stupid, i have one key for my car, it has snapped in the ignition barrel, we tried everything, hammered hell out of it, put screwdrivers down it, nothing would let it budge, as we planned to smash the barrel out and then turn the switch, however no joy, Anybody wish to help me :)

Peetypug

i know its not much help, but haven't had much luck with that car have you?

if you can get it out (i dont know how) you should still be able to get a new one cut, make that 2 new keys

have you tried a really thin screw driver down one side of the key?

other than that i would go to the scrappy and try to get a another lock set

cybernck

i don't know if you're aware, but to get the barrel out (from memory) you need to undo the two screws

and then turn the key a little bit so the pins that hold it in the housing retract into the barrel and only

then you'll be able to pull it out.

since you are not able to do it, i don't know what else to suggest other than to get another barrel with

a key for starting the engine and when you get the original one out, disassemble it to get the key out

and get a new (pair!) of keys made for use with door locks.

djinuk

no worries, looks like im going to have to remove the column, and just find another column, with ignition barrel and lock set , ..

nah your right pete, the car is cursed i swear, nothing has broke twice, but almost everything has broke now :) , good job im a softy,

M_R_205

when i had my keys nicked i had to replace the whole colum as when the steering lock is on you cant get the ignition barrel out from the collum, Pain in the bloody arse,

On the subject though, does anyone know if you can get blank 205 keys?? im 99% sure iv seen them before but cant remember where!!??!?!?

toddydal

if you put the other part of the key in will it start,because i think you need the key turned so igniton light comes on,then i think thers a very small hole on the lock,youl need a pin or somthing to push up the hole to release the lock barral

Arahan

Or do what i did when this happened to me!

Get some superglue, a small splinter of wook no bigger than the broken end of the key and quite soft, and the broken key.

1st superglue the tiny bit of wood to the end of the broken key, wait till its gone hard and is firmly glued.

Next put some superglue on the other side of the wood, which is now the topside, but not too much as you dont want it going everywhere inside your lock barrel!

Then, put the broken and wooded key into the ignition and press fairly hard against the remaining bit of key in the barrel and hold there for a minute or so till the glue hardens.

Then, pull out and hopefully the broken off bit should come with it!

This is because the small and supple wood takes the shape of the broken off key bit when you press it against it, and the glue fills all the surface of the wood and the broken key making a pretty good seal!

Worked for me anyways! :blush:

look give the car to me and ill look after it, its obvious it doesnt like you :)

M@tt

is the key snapped with any of it sticking out of the barrel or has it snapped inside the barrel or flush with the end of the barrel?

if it's flush with the end of the barrel then as mentioned above i'd get some of the strongest superglue you can find (araldite or the like) get 2 bits of thin plastic (off some packaging) cut it into 2 pieces so that you could slide a bit of it down either side of the key(only needs to be a littel bit) this should stop any glue bonding the key to the lock. Then put some glue/epoxy on the broken edge of the key and let it set hard, leave it for a good while dont be attempted to try it too early. Then see if the key will pull out.

If you need to rotate the ignition before you can pull the key out i woulduse a small punch or chisel and hammer to try and tap the key part of the ignition round to the off position before you try glueing the key part on as i'm pretty sure the turning motion will snap any glue if you did that first

good luck anyway

Edited by M@tt

Sign in to follow this