• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Slow Wipers

Super Josh

My wipers are quite slow. Now I realise that the linkages haven't been lubricated in the 18 years that my car has been on the planet, so that is on the never ending list of things to do ;)

But even when the wipers were working at their optimum they still aren't as fast as the wipers on modern cars. So does the motor off any newer pugs fit? One that has a bit more oomph and a faster turn of speed.

Josh

Tom Fenton

Remove and lubricate the bits the arms bolt to. You'll probably be suprised at the result!

sonofsam
Remove and lubricate the bits the arms bolt to. You'll probably be suprised at the result!

I did that, but tbh it didnt make that much difference, even made sure I got good non worn spline ones from the breakers!

Tryed another motor and it was just the same, next im going to see if I can get a motor reconned?!

Plus I have some new black valeo arms to try, on receiveing them I noticed inside the locating hole where no spline

marks cut in, so im hoping the extra grippage and reconned motor will do it, but by that time it will probably be summer again! lol.

If that fails to impress I too would try another motor from another car, my GF's 106 wipers are seriously frenetic!

Super Josh
If that fails to impress I too would try another motor from another car, my GF's 106 wipers are seriously frenetic!

Now that's the kind of idea that I like :D I think whatever you do to the 205 system it will still be slow. Anyone know if the 106 motor will fit or maybe a 306 one? How fast are the 306 wipers?

Josh

saveloy

I would machine a mid-link, so that you have less in the way of splines, say 3. You'll have turbo wiper blades then. But you will need to run super sticky blades, otherwise the lack of friction will keep them on the screen.

tom_m
I would machine a mid-link, so that you have less in the way of splines, say 3. You'll have turbo wiper blades then. But you will need to run super sticky blades, otherwise the lack of friction will keep them on the screen.

drinking again kyri? :D

saveloy

Welllll, perhaps a little. It's when I do my best work you know.

jim205GTI

The 306 wipers are frantic on the fastest setting....... :D Just wish the rain sensor picked up light rain better :)

sonofsam
Now that's the kind of idea that I like :D I think whatever you do to the 205 system it will still be slow. Anyone know if the 106 motor will fit or maybe a 306 one?

Josh

Just had a brief look on ebay as there are quite a few good pictures for reference, although you cannot gain a physical reference, it looks

like the 106 item is similar and may bolt upto the 205 bracket?!

If I had a bit more time on my hands of late I would be down the breakers armed with a 205 motor to compare & contrast :D

I like Saveloys idea though, proper over-engineering :)

ifcho

I have actually changed a 106 wiper motor with one from a 205. They were the same (early phase 1 106).

But I think that a new motor and some grease will be enough for having good wipers again.

danpug

I might go and find a 106 motor in a bit or tomorrow and give it a go as my wipers are poor.

Edited by danpug

sonofsam
I have actually changed a 106 wiper motor with one from a 205. They were the same (early phase 1 106).

Result! :wacko:

Simes

According to pug parts CD they are different somehow as they have a different stock code. I guess the internals are different.

Do you have any pics of this motor fitted before we all go and buy one that doesn't fit?

Edited by Simes

Craigb

Also make sure that you have 12V at the motor . When i checked mine i only had 8 !

Super Josh

Well I've got hold of a 106 wiper motor. Just on a quick visual it looks like it will fit. I'll report back on my findings.

Josh

GLPoomobile
Well I've got hold of a 106 wiper motor. Just on a quick visual it looks like it will fit. I'll report back on my findings.

Josh

I was just about to ask you about this Josh as I hadn't seen your reply above.

I've been looking at them on eBay and became convinced they'd fit, but I'm not willing to pay the prices they are going for on eBay.

Let us know once it's fitted if there is a real improvement.

Super Josh

Will do, although I need to sort my brakes out first ;) So it's a little further down the priority list than it was.

Josh

Super Josh
any updates?

No not yet Ben. Car is off the road until I can sort out my Servo, so this is taking priority. I will post an update as soon as I have one, should be in the next week or so ;)

Josh

damien

has anyone got a video of there "slow" wipers? mine ant as fast as my 306 ones but they ant what i would call slow

M@tt

i'm going to get a new motor for mine because doing 80mph my wipers take about 3 minutes to do a down sweep but 4 nano seconds to do the upsweep.

For info I've just looked on service box and the motor number is the same for all 106 models regardless of the phase of the car.

chrisj21

Josh, Did you manage to get the new motor fitted? and sort your brakes?

Chris

Super Josh
Josh, Did you manage to get the new motor fitted? and sort your brakes?

Chris

Hi Chris, yeah managed to sort my brakes by fitting a decent Servo and adjusting the pushrod to get the pedal travel spot on :mellow:

Was thinking about the wipers today (as it was raining) and haven't fitted the 106 motor yet, but hope to do so this weekend after iv'e taken the 106 motor apart to re-grease it. Need to do it soon to beat GlPoo :P Watch this space.

Josh

richard

Its not a dodgy earth to the motor is it?

Sign in to follow this