• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainK

Gti6 Intake Pipe

CaptainK

On a standard GTi6 intake pipe there is the obvious big pipe for the throttle body, but there is a little pipe running off it that goes into a connector just below the throttle body.

Whats this for? I'm assuming its something to do with the stepper idle control valve ? If I take the pipe off with the engine running and put my finger in it, it sucks my finger in. When my finger "seals" the hole, the engine revs drop.

You see, to make my engine bay look a bit prettier I was thinking of ditching the standard black GTi6 pipe and replacing it with a nice red Samco style 90 degree elbow pipe. BUT, these obviously don't have those little pipes coming off.

So, I was thinking - would a crankcase air/oil breather filter of the right pipe size do the job? Then I could get a red one of them as well and add some extra bling. :)

But I don't want to do that if it'll cause harm to my beloved GTi6.

Spiky

mine has some "tights" on the end...pmsl

whizzer71

Its for the idle actuator,It needs filtered air try and get an elbow with a take off on it and tee it in !

Tris

:)

smighall

Yup for the ICV or stepper motor.

CaptainK
Yup for the ICV or stepper motor.

Good guess by me :D

I would get an elbow with a take off on it as thats the best way, but it sounds more expensive than my cheapy idea I have - just a 90 degree elbow main pipe with a cone filter on one end. And a breather filter on the idle valve hole. Should do it.

I did think about a set of tights over the hole as well. But I'm also wanting to make it a bit bling as well as practical.

pj838

If you change it can I have your old one please?

CaptainK
If you change it can I have your old one please?

My old what? :wacko: The intake pipe? Maybe, but I should mention I'm not planning on changing it for a while - lack of funds presently - and the original pipe is a little broken. The little pipe to the ICV broke off the main pipe and I had to superglue & tape it back on. Which is why I want to replace it with a breather filter.

pj838

Yeah I wanted to get the inlet pipe as I bought an engine without one. But instead I have made this up yesterday from various bits of my 8v engine:

DSC01384.jpg

I also now have added a short elbow of the feed pipe from the 57i kit that fits nicely into the slam panel tube and directs it over the filter.

Of course I can't comment whether it all actually works as the car is not driveable yet :D

CaptainK

Nice job there.

Sorry, but my GTi6 intake pipe has to stay for a while. Too many other expenses at the mo and currently it fits perfectly with my new 57i kit. :lol: (though the "little pipe" bit is superglued on fine, I've put tape around it to remind me its a bit dodgy)

Sign in to follow this