• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
notamondayfan

Tilting The Master Cylinder?

notamondayfan

hey guys, im reading up as much as possible on the MI16 conversion and came across a post on AussieFrogs here and it says...

next thing you will need to do before dropping in the engine is putting a tilt on the brake master cylinder. To do this you need to remove the brake peddle box, to do this you need to unbolt it from inside the car (this is quite time consuming and can frustrate you as you are on you back under the steering wheel). Once you have unbolted it all you can remove it from the engine bay, you should have in your hands the brake peddle, brake booster and the master cylinder. Now you need to put 3-4 washers in between the brake booster and backing plate, this will tilt the master cylinder up and enable it to clear the cambelt cover.

but ive never heard of this done before, and cant find any other examples where its been done before. would this be worth doing?

cheers, dean

jim205GTI

I didn't do this on my conversion and it looks to have a bit of room :) the mouts are adjustable to a certain degree and i believe i that moving the gearbox mount helps with clearance? i could be wrong though :D

Ryan

I didn't bother. I've got 3-4mm between the master cylinder and cambelt cover, but it does vary from car to car.

If you push the engine as far towards the driver's wing as you can when you fit it then there's enough slack in the top engine mount to give you a bit more room. You could even file out the hole in the mount to give yourself an extra 2-3mm if needed.

Miles

I hope it says about filling the hole thats left or Fumes could get in or worst case flames.

But as said it varies allot from car to car, I did a 2.0 S16 install and had a good 5mm clearance followed by the old Mi16 engine and the M/S was bang on the cambelt cover

notamondayfan

ok thanks guys. just never heard of it before, so best to check it first :wub:

Stu

Mine 'just' caught, but after a bit of fiddling with the mounts and 'thinning' of the cambelt cover in that area it now fits like a glove.

A lot of unnecessary hastle in my opinion bud!

anderoo

After fitting a BBM top mount to mine it moved the engine up higher about a centimetre so it now rubs against it.

2195306321_2f882085b0.jpg

Stuck a few washers behind the left side studs and it's got about 1cm clearance now. Unfortunately I think it's also made the exhaust touch too as I'm getting some terrible knocking sounds.

gti_al

Who posted that on af?

I think you would be better off with some lower mounts, if you don't spend too much time on rough roads. They don't cost much, and give loads of MC and exhaust clearance. Isn't BBM doing them soon?

Sign in to follow this